Rear Brake Calipers anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 10:48 PM
Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by cal44
Dear Mr. A Hudson,

there were several factors in involved in the purchase of your calipers.
First, I am looking for an '86 911 Coupe but will consider an '84 and '85.
Second, my mom was born in Birmingham Al. See how all this ads up?..........weak at best I know, but, it is my justification.

I figure if I provide enough parts in the garage a coupe will magically appear.

Mike

The iceman is funny...............
You may be interested to know, that though I'm in Montgomery Alabama, these calipers came from a 1986 Carrera I bought in Birmingham, Alabama. It was sold new there, lived there its whole life as a one-owner vehicle. So, the connection isn't that much of a stretch!

Wish you'd come and pick it up in person - we could play cars, lie about horsepower, drink a beer, and let me take you to dinner. Thanks for the purchase. They should leave tomorrow.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:26 AM
Steam Driver
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is an easy rebuild. Go for it.

The Bentley manual has the dealer mindset as well; don't rebuild, replace. But I've rebuilt a lot of calipers (Porsche, BMW bike) and have yet to have a problem with any of them. They key is the condition of the pistons really. The interior bores not so much except the groove where the square (in cross-section) "O" ring goes. The pistons are also replaceable too if you need them but aren't generally in the rebuild "kit." Don't try to split the caliper halves though because as has been stated the "O" rings between them aren't readily available, although I suspect you could find them locally at an air/hydraulic supplier. (But horrors, they wouldn't have Ate's name on them though!)
Old 01-23-2013, 08:56 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

i think those o rings would have to be a special material so they dont swell or deteriorate when brake fluid hits them no ?
Old 01-24-2013, 07:16 AM
Steam Driver
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh, absolutely. Not the "O" rings you can buy at the hardware store for sure. But about any good fluid power place should be able to find something compatible. Not all that special.

Quick Reply: Rear Brake Calipers anyone?