Need help identifying value of my 1974 Porsche 911

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 08:42 PM
GermanEnthus
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help identifying value of my 1974 Porsche 911

Hello,
I've owned my 1974 Porsche 911 Coupe for a few years now, and have decided it's time to part ways and let a new family who is looking for a fun project take over. I'm not sure what the value of my vehicle is, as it's a bit of a bastard with some issues.

A little history... Purchased in 1974 in Washington DC and then moved to California where it's lived since 1978. As such, there is very little rust, only a small quarter sized spot on the corner of the underside of the front trunk storage area. I am the 4th owner and have records from the 2nd owner until now. It currently has about 115k original miles on the chasis, and has a clean title. Unfortunately, the engine is not currently running. As many 74 911's had problems with the magnesium block, two of the 24 head bolts appear to have pulled out of the block and are turning on their own. Also, the chain tensioners appear to have failed and would recommend an update to the newer oil-fed system. If the head bolt inserts can be fixed and the tensioners fixed, the motor should run without any issues.

Exterior:
Brown, the clear coat is completely gone except for one fender that has a nice shine. The rear fenders were converted to the wider 'S' style and the rear engine hatch has a duck tail, matching the 74' 911 S. I also have the original standard, flat 911 hatch, with great condition brown, original paint. Front and rear bumpers are stock and in good condition, just with faded paint. Drivers side mirror appears to be original, with no mirror on the passengers side, as it came from the factory. Headlights appear to be original. The frame and chasis is straight with very few dents. The paint appears to be original, as it's a heavily faded brown with tan interior. While the car was originally a standard 911 Coupe, the previous owner was in the process of converting it to a 911 S, so there are a great deal of tastefully done modifications. Sitting on 16x7 and 16x8 original forged Fuchs in good condition - could use some polishing.

Interior:
Tan, original seats and door panels. Front and rear panels are in excellent shape, as is the headliner with no tears or other damage, just some minor pealing from the front windshield. Front and rear seats are very dry, hard, and have cracking and stitching issues. Recommend replacing or reupholstering. Dash is in good condition with minor cracks. Instrument cluster was upgraded to 'S' style. Carrera leather sport wheel with extended column. A fuel cut-off switch was installed in the glove-box. Clifford alarm.

Suspension/Brakes:
Very tight and solid. Bushings should probably be replaced soon. Upgraded 'S' Front and Rear sway bars, Turbo torsion bars and solid engine mounts. Koni shocks, lowered and bump steered.
The car had the aluminum racing calipers when I purchased, but the pistons were heavily pitted and not confidence inspiring, so I did a full brake system replacement with 0 miles tracked on all parts -- Upgraded to the the newer 1980's A-style calipers (brand new, never used), brembo rotors, stainless steal brake lines, master cylinder, fluid reservoir, etc.

Engine:
2.7 Liter motor. Around 14k miles ago, a full engine rebuild was done (receipts in hand from PO) that cost around $8,000 back in the 90's. Clutch replaced at time of rebuild along with upgraded pistons matching the 911 'S' with 10.5:1 compression, front and rear oil coolers, and turbo tensioners installed. Airbox has the upgraded blow-off valve, upgraded stainless steal heat exchangers are in great shape, original exhaust, MSD ignition upgrade also completed. New ignition components (distributor rotor/cap, wires, coil, and ignitor) have seen under 1k miles.

Given that the car is not running, and is need of paint and some minor cosmetic touches, I understand the value drops considerably, but have no basis for what I should ask given the previously mentioned history, modifications, low mileage, and potential for a low mileage rebuild motor with tons of new parts installed.

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated. I'll try to get recent pictures uploaded in the next couple days. For now, here's my project gallery showcasing some of the upgrades and an overall baseline.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2936795...7616563664003/

Thank you!
Jason

Last edited by GermanEnthus; 12-27-2012 at 08:55 PM. Reason: Add photo
Old 12-27-2012, 09:54 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

I'm sorry, but I view such threads as "For Sale" ads, and the rules are you need to be a member to post such, and a price. I know, you stated you are trying to set a value. But in the meantime, people can PM you to discuss a sale, hence my .02 worth of comments on this.

There are so many contradictions here-rebuilt engine 14k ago, but failed tensioners and pulled studs; dash in good condition, but cracked; suspension tight, but needs new bushings soon. There aren't many positives here at all. So, I'd say you are in the $2-3k range as a possible parts or MAJOR project car. Someone looking to get into a Porsche cheap, and not knowing anything about what it costs to redo these, may drop $5k, thinking they are getting a deal.

You're best to stick it on eBay, and let the market speak.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:18 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Wow, don't start at the beginning of the photos. Far better to go to the end and work backwards.

Would love to have the smog exempt tub but the 2.7 CIS would not fly with me. There is a 2.2 MFI on craigslist right now that would be **** in that thing.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:18 AM
cal44
Burning Brakes

Let's see. It needs paint, doesn't run, has some rust and someone flared the rear wheel arches.
Just subtract all of that from one you can buy that doesn't need anything.
And this does not address the interior, transmission and suspension..............
Old 01-27-2013, 09:42 PM
Jim H.
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

PM sent...
Old 02-17-2013, 11:00 PM
GermanEnthus
Track Day

Car has been sold. Thanks for the interest!

Quick Reply: Need help identifying value of my 1974 Porsche 911