Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

first 911SC...couple questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 04:33 PM
rockryno
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ive got some 44k in there right now to clean anything out. Ill start looking at the tank and the filter
Old 12-19-2012, 04:35 PM
Chicago Craig
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Reiver
How old is the fuel filter, dirty injectors, how clean/not clean is the gas tank. Does not sound like a fuel pump, usually on or off even if intermittant.
If it was fuel starvation start at the tank and work back.
You can search for the method of checking injectors efficiency here or on the Pelican site.
If the tank is clear and the the filter new then try some injector cleaner in your fuel.
I'm sure you'll get some other more experienced responsesbut that would be my start point.
One thing to point out here, though unrelated to the question asked. Learn where your fuel injector relay is (usually in the front trunk, driver's side, under a plastic cover). It *will* come loose, usually at a very inopportune time. It's the first thing to check if the car suddenly dies on you.
Old 12-19-2012, 04:42 PM
Chicago Craig
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nettles503
SNORT!!!
I'm sure you've seen it, but it's still pretty funny:

Originally Posted by rockryno
har har funny guy!
There is no bar too low for this group.

I checked the oil while idling today, its between the high and low marks.

Something odd happened on the way to work today though. Highway speeds, around 3k on the tach in 5th for about 15 min and I felt a weird little surge in the power. I continued, but paid attention, and it happened once or twice more over the next 10 minutes until I got to work. As I arrived and parked, the idle was low, around 500-700 and running rough.
Then as I left work this morning, I got in, started it and tried to go but when I pressed the gas pedal, the car almost died. I waited a few seconds and tried again, and the same thing. I feathered the pedal a few times and finally the RPMs jumped, after that the entire ride home was fine.

It felt like the engine was not getting fuel for some reason. My fuel gauge said just under 2/4, and I reset the trip meter when I filled up and it was at 218 at work. What kind of range do these get on a single tank?

What do you guys think?
I'm wondering if there's something in your injector that is manifesting as this and what I assumed was a warmup regulator problem.
Old 12-19-2012, 06:44 PM
rockryno
Intermediate

280 miles on trip odo and gauge is just at the lowest line, no light yet. fuel can in pass seat just in case.

another thing i noticed- the finned cooler/ radiator on the rear trunk lid during idle after a long drive, is cool to the touch. shouldnt that be hot with oil running through it?
Old 12-19-2012, 07:08 PM
Chicago Craig
Rennlist Member

280 miles on trip odo and gauge is just at the lowest line, no light yet. fuel can in pass seat just in case.

another thing i noticed- the finned cooler/ radiator on the rear trunk lid during idle after a long drive, is cool to the touch. shouldnt that be hot with oil running through it?
I'm pretty sure that's the AC condenser, so hopefully it's not running hot! http://www.porsche.com/all/media/pdf...83_KATALOG.pdf see page 434.

The oil cooler is the trombone (standard) or radiator (upgrade) looking thing in the right front wheel well. That's why you'll see steam when you go through puddles.
Old 12-19-2012, 07:10 PM
rockryno
Intermediate

oh wow, i had always figured something that big would definitely be an oil cooler for the engine. cant wait to ditch the AC system!
Old 12-19-2012, 07:15 PM
Chicago Craig
Rennlist Member

oh wow, i had always figured something that big would definitely be an oil cooler for the engine. cant wait to ditch the AC system!
To be fair, you had me for a second. I knew about the primary oil cooler, since I upgraded. But I couldn't remember if the rear deck lid was for the AC or a secondary oil circuit.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:56 PM
RGlaz
3rd Gear

I had a similar issue which turned out to be the fuel pump relay was starting to go bad... Luckily I figured it out before I got stranded.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:40 PM
rockryno
Intermediate

good to know! it happened again today. right after a cold start. now that the holidays are ovre I can dive inand see whats up
Old 01-20-2013, 09:21 PM
RGlaz
3rd Gear

more than likely a fuel pump relay is going. Easy to replace ... see if it fixes the issue.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:51 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,021 Likes on 726 Posts

just some clarification on earlier posts. this is not electronic fuel injection. there is no fuel injection relay. there is of course a red fuel pump relay. if you swap it with one of the other relays and it continues after a new fuel filter id say your looking at a pump possibly. CIS can be finiky though and you could throw a lot of parts at it so do your homework.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:12 PM
rockryno
Intermediate

red fuel pump relay. Ill look into it. Thanks
Old 01-21-2013, 06:11 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ice is right. There is no fuel injection (DME?) relay on the SC.

I think you might want to get a copy of the 911SC Service Manual from Bentley Publishing and while you're at it, a copy of Bosch Fuel Injection and Engine Management by Charles Probst. Both books are well worth the money many times over.

Your starting point when troubleshooting is going to be to check fuel pressures and voltages, so you need a CIS fuel pressure gauge setup and a good digital multimeter.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:22 AM
rockryno
Intermediate

Had the day off today so I removed the AC compressor, and the blower motor in the smugglers box. Any advice on how to remove the lines running through the firewall? and on the inside of the front driver's fender?
Old 01-22-2013, 08:49 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,021 Likes on 726 Posts

a lot of people just tie them off and leave them.

Quick Reply: first 911SC...couple questions