Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

New Member with 911 Carrera RallyCross Project

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 10:17 AM
team illuminata
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by amber lamps
Now wait a sec.... I just fired up the google and found why that name braid looked familiar. Yep....I'm on to you know.

http://www.braidusa.com/Wheels/Comp/BZ/BZ.htm

Paul, is that you?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ff_euV7011k
It's all becoming clearer. . . .

http://www.teamilluminata.com/Racing/racing.htm

....but do you know how to use your tools?
SSHHH. It was supossed to be a secret but yes.

I know how to use a rally hammer if that's what you mean. Otherwise I'm quite handy with the spanners.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:20 AM
team illuminata
Racer

....and regarding your chin spoiler....It was not put there by the factory, so you are good. You don't even have proof that the dealership put it on. It was an afterthought added after it landed here at any rate. No tail, no chin. That's how it was.

and regarding the A/C compressor. I'll trade you your chin spoiler for my A/C compressor. Deal? Seriously.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Team-I...772?ref=stream
That's my attitude too. The guys I race with are pretty relaxed about stuff like this; till you beat them anyway.

I think the chin spoiler may be sold. In any case I am probably sourcing a free broken compressor locally. Sorry about that.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:33 AM
team illuminata
Racer

Originally Posted by mfyoung1086
I think you stock suspension will be more than fine for rally cross... if you would doing stages I would suggestion remote resoviors as long stages will overheat a set of stock shocks, and handling with deminish

A Pcar has always made sense to me for rally for the simple fact that suspension wise you have tons of adjustments allowable from the factory. When I get around to a project very similar to this I would set the toe neutral, dial in a fair amount of positive caster, and set the camber more neutral as well. tuning and testing will sort it all out

Also having swingarms in the rear > IRS for the fact that the suspension travel of a swingarm doesn't affect the camber angle as badly as IRS will . The key will be tuning the camber of the front wheel to ensure the rough roughs and bumps don't equal wtf handling. I think your diaboilical handling right now might be due to a fair amount of postive camber achieved when the high was raised

Can't wait to hear how the first runs go!!!
That's great input. Thanks. This is a whole new world for me. How does one adjust caster?
Old 12-05-2012, 11:00 AM
mfyoung1086
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You'd need adjustable caster plates for that for the front, rear is adjustable off the spring plates? I would have to look again to see

I would suggest getting a copy of 101 Project for your Porsche 911 its got some good tips in it for working on your pcar...
Old 12-05-2012, 11:04 AM
team illuminata
Racer

You'd need adjustable caster plates for that for the front, rear is adjustable off the spring plates? I would have to look again to see

I would suggest getting a copy of 101 Project for your Porsche 911 its got some good tips in it for working on your pcar...
I see. Castor plates are out till we move the car into Modified class.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:15 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

Caster and camber are adjusted at the top of the strut for the front. 911's arent too sensitive to caster changes, and I've never seen caster plates. There is no caster at the rear. Camber is adjusted via spring plates at rear, as is toe. Toe at front is via tie rods.

Originally Posted by team illuminata
That's great input. Thanks. This is a whole new world for me. How does one adjust caster?

I see. Castor plates are out till we move the car into Modified class.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:27 PM
team illuminata
Racer

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Caster and camber are adjusted at the top of the strut for the front. 911's arent too sensitive to caster changes, and I've never seen caster plates. There is no caster at the rear. Camber is adjusted via spring plates at rear, as is toe. Toe at front is via tie rods.
Thanks. This is more like what I suspected actually.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:43 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks. This is more like what I suspected actually.
As Ed said. There are three bolts at the top of the strut. You may get some adjustment by elongating the bolt holes and nobody will no.

Anyway, welcome to the club.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:53 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

You may get some adjustment by elongating the bolt holes
Until you run out of room to move the strut top itself.

Bottom line is that for your purposes alignment (or suspension itself) deviating much from stock won't really matter. All you're looking for is predictable handling, given your available traction. And that will come from: 1. tires, 2. tires, and 3. tires. (But I'll guess you know that already.)

One other thing that will probably blow your mind versus the Subaru will be braking. Lack of ABS will take getting used to on low traction surfaces. Not sure if you can move bias rearward, given your rules package. But front lockup, when you go over that edge, can turn nasty as your initial understeer magnifies, turning into pretty wild oversteer. Quickly. But that's what a 911 is all about, isn't it?
Old 12-05-2012, 12:59 PM
team illuminata
Racer

As Ed said. There are three bolts at the top of the strut. You may get some adjustment by elongating the bolt holes and nobody will no.

Anyway, welcome to the club.
I'll know.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:06 PM
mfyoung1086
Racer

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Really?

http://www.elephantracing.com/suspen...amberplate.htm

I think Rebel makes a pair as well but I'm too lazy to look

Also Ken, yes tires will make a huge difference, but a neutral suspension setup is very important in rally.... This is nice sticky tarmac where dialing in some negative camber is really beneficial, negative camber will just make the car more twitchy as the suspension reloads over larger bumps, and since you don't have 4wd to kept the nose pointed will make the car no fun... Also completely agree with adding a brake bias, very importante step.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:07 PM
mfyoung1086
Racer

Also Paul whats the old saying? If you're not cheating you're not racing!
Old 12-05-2012, 03:34 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Are you required to carry the spare tire?

also check to see if the smuggler's box is empty.

Although, if you can't get away with adjustable brake bias, adding weight in the front end may be the only alternative.

Where's the rule book anyway? This could get fun.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:45 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

I'm sorry for being hung up on words, but the OP's question, and your reply clearly stated CASTER, and based on that being the topic, my reply stands. If we are now talking about CAMBER, then the answer is indeed different.

Really?

http://www.elephantracing.com/suspen...amberplate.htm

I think Rebel makes a pair as well but I'm too lazy to look

Also Ken, yes tires will make a huge difference, but a neutral suspension setup is very important in rally.... This is nice sticky tarmac where dialing in some negative camber is really beneficial, negative camber will just make the car more twitchy as the suspension reloads over larger bumps, and since you don't have 4wd to kept the nose pointed will make the car no fun... Also completely agree with adding a brake bias, very importante step.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:06 PM
team illuminata
Racer

Originally Posted by race911
Until you run out of room to move the strut top itself.

Bottom line is that for your purposes alignment (or suspension itself) deviating much from stock won't really matter. All you're looking for is predictable handling, given your available traction. And that will come from: 1. tires, 2. tires, and 3. tires. (But I'll guess you know that already.)

One other thing that will probably blow your mind versus the Subaru will be braking. Lack of ABS will take getting used to on low traction surfaces. Not sure if you can move bias rearward, given your rules package. But front lockup, when you go over that edge, can turn nasty as your initial understeer magnifies, turning into pretty wild oversteer. Quickly. But that's what a 911 is all about, isn't it?
Yes, I'm kind of looking forward to my first ***** out corner experience. My rally wagon has had no ABS for the last ten years. It was really sensitive and just got in the way. The thing is also quite tail happy under trailing throttle too. Under the rules the car is currently subject too pads are open so I have some tools at my disposal.

And yes. In rallycross you don't drive a car; you drive tires.

Quick Reply: New Member with 911 Carrera RallyCross Project