Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

New Member with 911 Carrera RallyCross Project

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 11:18 AM
team illuminata
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
I'd have the cooler cleaned and pressure-tested. Aircraft cooler shops are good for that, mine cost $150, and they found two pinholes.
Thanks for the tip. That will have to wait till next time.
Old 09-06-2013, 08:47 AM
team illuminata
Racer

Bilsteins for breakfast. YUM YUM

On by brunch

We used wooden blocks under the engine and tranny to angle it slightly up at the front. Then, once we had the shift linkage in the hole lifted the rear with our engine hoist to level it back up before lowering the car into place. Our lift is very hard to modulate but we managed somehow.

These were on the transmission drain plug magnet when we drained the fluid today! Problem? We are glad we waited till it was back in the car so we are less tempted to fix anything right now. Car shifts great. We'll fix it when it breaks I guess.

Added fluids. Job done. Runs like a charm.

It's alive! - YouTube

Drives too:

I drove it to soccer last night and then home. Car is a lot quieter from the valves now and smoother too. Can't say if it's any quicker. New Bilsteins feel more connected to the road. Did have a slight oil leak from the oil tank area last night. Will check that out today.

Very happy and will not hesitate to drop this again. Thanks for your input and advice.
Old 09-06-2013, 02:56 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 55 Posts

I don't know-bits in the trans.....could be expensive to fix now. Could be really expensive to fix later.
Old 09-11-2013, 09:53 AM
team illuminata
Racer

The car is running nice now. Valve adjustment made it quieter, new trans fluid made the shifting smoother, despite the missing syncro teeth and the Bilsteins are holding up the rear with aplomb. This weekend we take to the dirt again in Detroit SCCA's RallyCross. Just to get us all in the mood here are some pictures from the last outing.

Old 09-13-2013, 06:54 PM
team illuminata
Racer

All loaded up for tomorrow's RallyCross.

Old 09-13-2013, 07:09 PM
Reiver
Drifting

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts

Probably the dog teeth from 1st or 2nd gear....as long as they are not all 'in a row' shifting should be ok. Someone missed a shift.
I found a few when I first got my car and changed all of the fluids....the 'good part' was they were not worn at all indicating a pretty recent rebuild. Yours look pretty worn as the wavy part should be a straight line (if I'm seeing straight).
Old 09-15-2013, 01:14 AM
Ruf964
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

awesome
Old 09-18-2013, 11:42 PM
team illuminata
Racer

Some great shots taken at last weekend's RallyCross courtesy of Chris Lee. Let's start with the more significant ones:

Yes, we scored 1st and 2nd in class again only now we have clinched the same places in the Championship. Scott in first, me in 2nd.

Now, the rest of the pictures and a short video:

Old 09-18-2013, 11:48 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 55 Posts

Nice work-congratulations!
Old 09-19-2013, 08:01 PM
team illuminata
Racer

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Nice work-congratulations!
Thanks Ed.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:30 AM
team illuminata
Racer

So we got the car on the hoist after the RallyCross to check it. No leaks or damage to report . Due to the dry conditions it wasn't even dirty, just a bit of dust. We took the air cleaner out to see if any dust was getting through or past the filter. I'd say "no" though the outside of the filter itself was quite dusty.

While it was on the hoist we finished the blue vinyl on the rear bumpers. This meant taking off the rubber overriders. Man, they weigh 12lbs each! It hurt to put them back on but rules are rules. Next year they are coming off. Graphics are now complete with the exception of a few sponsor decals. Not that BFG sponsor us or anything. Car just needs a few more decals. Pictures at the Pontiac Silverdome Autocross that we didn't do.

Next, in preparation for the local track day at Waterford Hills we replaced the flexible brake lines and flushed the brake fluid. We used ATE BLUE because it's illegal but awesome.

Then we took the car to Auto Europe for a PCA inspection. "When was the brake fluid last changed sir?" "Er, 20 minutes ago." "That'll do nicely."

Trackday was fun, cool weather, no rain, lots of track time, no drama. Just what you'd want. No on track video or pictures unfortunately. Just these:

Oh, there was one momentus event; the car turned over 100,000 miles while on track. Neglected to get a picture of that till the paddock, eight miles later.

Opportunities to thrash the car are diminishing for the season. RallyCross continues through the winter and, if winter is winter there should be some ice racing too. Will be attending a few more car meets and shows through Fall to make up for the lack of racing though. If the car survives them it might free up some time to work on our Quattro this winter. It's been usurped by this wonderfully idiosyncratic beast lately.

Old 10-16-2013, 12:24 PM
team illuminata
Racer

We took the car to the monthly Detroit RallyCross this time held at I96 Speedway in Lake Odessa. This has a clay based surface which, when wet is like ice but when dry is like tarmac, complete with tire squealing. To make life complicated the track owner insisted on watering the coarse between groups to keep the dust down as the local pig farmer is apt to complain. This made the first couple of runs quite interesting but once the coarse dried out the key was keeping up with the increasing amounts of grip.

Fortunately, despite a few cones (due to the water) we secured first and second places again so our 100% record is in tact.

Here are some pictures and videos mostly courtesy of one Brain Thorpe:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/LLP6SObNbUg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/03dlYvhbyzk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 10-17-2013, 10:46 AM
team illuminata
Racer

Old 10-17-2013, 12:25 PM
jh321
4th Gear

Do you have some links or info you could send me about the rallycross and autocross? I live in Ann Arbor now and am trying to find out all I can about the racing that's offered
Old 10-17-2013, 12:27 PM
jh321
4th Gear

P.S. Love the car! I've open class pro rallied in an evox before but rallycross in a 911 looks damn fun

Quick Reply: New Member with 911 Carrera RallyCross Project