Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Anybody bought from Europe?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2012 | 12:55 PM
bcgreen
Pro

Default Anybody bought from Europe?

I am wanting to import a car from Europe, but don't have a clue on how to do it?
There is a possibility I might be able to purchase from a private party. I don't know how money is normally exchanged, and will Porsche, which is in most cities, will check it out. Any ideas how to do this?
Old 11-24-2012 | 01:15 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

When there are more 911's in SoCal than all of Europe, why?
Old 11-24-2012 | 02:13 PM
Tremelune
Three Wheelin'

Indeed. With the exchange being what it is, most cars are going back to Europe these days.
Old 11-24-2012 | 03:03 PM
KNS
Three Wheelin'

Hey, if he can bring one back go for it! I hate seeing all these 911s leaving the states.
Old 11-24-2012 | 05:05 PM
bcgreen
Pro

Originally Posted by amber lamps
When there are more 911's in SoCal than all of Europe, why?
Can't seem to find a '74 Euro spec Carrera. Seems to be more there than here.
I have a lead on a RS, so I am looking for help to bring one back to the States and out of the rust.
Old 11-24-2012 | 05:36 PM
Tremelune
Three Wheelin'

I guess the next question is, why do you want a Euro spec car?
Old 11-24-2012 | 06:48 PM
bcgreen
Pro

Originally Posted by Tremelune
I guess the next question is, why do you want a Euro spec car?
Sorry, I found out, no such thing as a '74 RS.
I want the euro spec car because the US version has about 175 Hp. The US cars are about 1/3 the price of the ROW cars.
Old 11-24-2012 | 07:58 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Originally Posted by bcgreen
Sorry, I found out, no such thing as a '74 RS.
I want the euro spec car because the US version has about 175 Hp. The US cars are about 1/3 the price of the ROW cars.
What exactly do you want? I totally understand wanting a '74 in California....Smog Exemp. The sky is the limit really. If you want an RS type project car then keep your eyes open here. Bringing something over from Europe just doesn't make sense when they are so plentiful here. If you have skills, save the cash and do it yourself.

Took me less than one minute to find this one:
http://cars.oodle.com/detail/1974-2-...-www-_-NA-_-NA
Old 11-25-2012 | 12:51 AM
bcgreen
Pro

Originally Posted by amber lamps
What exactly do you want? I totally understand wanting a '74 in California....Smog Exemp. The sky is the limit really. If you want an RS type project car then keep your eyes open here. Bringing something over from Europe just doesn't make sense when they are so plentiful here. If you have skills, save the cash and do it yourself.

Took me less than one minute to find this one:
http://cars.oodle.com/detail/1974-2-...-www-_-NA-_-NA
Well RS is way out of the question, too much money. I would like to keep it original. I have been looking for a while now and all I have found here are modified cars. So far I have found more choices for the 210 hp in Europe than here. I have 31 bookmarks of places that have '74 Carreras that I check frequently. I just joined PCA so maybe something will show up there.
That link is a regular Porsche. I am looking for a '74 or '76 Carrera with the higher HP than what was available in the US. I appreciate your link, though.
Old 11-25-2012 | 01:16 AM
Tremelune
Three Wheelin'

In order for a car to brought to this country legally, it would have needed to have the speedometer and emissions equipment changed. Once the speedo is replaced, only paperwork from before and after the import can confirm the mileage, and the car is no longer particularly original...This is why most Euro cars are generally worth significantly less than US models (though this has been argued recently).

Why not a 3.0 or 3.2? Sorry to beat a dead horse, but what is it in those model years that you like? Maybe I'm just showing my ignorance...
Old 11-25-2012 | 12:06 PM
bcgreen
Pro

In order for a car to brought to this country legally, it would have needed to have the speedometer and emissions equipment changed. Once the speedo is replaced, only paperwork from before and after the import can confirm the mileage, and the car is no longer particularly original...This is why most Euro cars are generally worth significantly less than US models (though this has been argued recently).

Why not a 3.0 or 3.2? Sorry to beat a dead horse, but what is it in those model years that you like? Maybe I'm just showing my ignorance...
The 3.0 from '76 is also on my list. I am constanly going on line on a daily basis, multiple times during the day, and find that the '74 &'75 cars are considerably less than the '74 Carrera.
165 hp vs 210 hp. Why would the major players in European cars have a running list of people looking for the '74 cars? I think most guys are like me, they want the cars with the most horsepower. The 1974-76 Carreras came with the 1973 2.7 mechanical fuel injection engine of the 1973 Carrera RS, which makes these cars quite valuable.Even though the '74 and up cars received the new safety bumpers, the mechanicals were the same as in ‘73. Those cars are just as quick and responsive as the ‘73 RS with no difference in HP/weight ratio to the RS Touring. In 1974 the Porsche Euro spec. was also available with the famous ducktail spoiler in some countries, however, not in Germany.
Those RS engines did not meet the new US emission standards of ‘74 and the cars were not available for the Northern American market. US spec Carreras of '74 and ‘75 had a 2,7 K-Jetronic, producing only 175 and 165 hp (1975) respectively. They are in no way comparable in performance or value. Correct Euro spec Carrera Coupes are very hard to find, as a lot of them lost their engines to the many ‘73 RS clones in the market.

Last edited by bcgreen; 11-25-2012 at 07:09 PM.
Old 11-25-2012 | 10:09 PM
rsnodgrass
Advanced

Tremelune,

Cars imported that are beyond 25 years old no longer have to comply with the EPA and DOT import rules. No modifications are required (e.g. no speedo changes, no door bars, etc). The stigma with "gray market" cars is pretty much gone, except for those cars which were very poorly converted causing damage to the car itself. In fact, some 1970s Euro-spec cars are now SIGNIFICANTLY more desired over the US models. This applies to the 930 Turbos, 2.7-liter Carreras, and 3.0-liter Carreras (which didn't come to the US).

The 2.7-liter Carrera MFI (or RoW Carrera, or Euro Carrera) that bcgreen mentioned is a highly desirable and sought after 911 as it came from the factory with the RS-spec 911/83 engine with 210 hp and MFI. In fact, it could be argued this was a continuation of the '73 RS with G-series bumpers. See http://carreramfi.com/ for more info. These cars exchange hands for roughly 2-3x what the US version of the 2.7-liter Carrera currently are going for.

Old 11-26-2012 | 12:21 AM
Brian 96C2
Pro

Originally Posted by bcgreen
I am wanting to import a car from Europe, but don't have a clue on how to do it?
There is a possibility I might be able to purchase from a private party. I don't know how money is normally exchanged, and will Porsche, which is in most cities, will check it out. Any ideas how to do this?
Hi again. If you have not talked with Jurgen at 2 Shores you really should give him a call. He has owned and imported several Carrera 2.7 coupes (along with many other Porsches). He can help guide you through this process. I believe he is in CA right now.

Quick Reply: Anybody bought from Europe?