Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Cleaning Fuel Tank

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 09:18 AM
Steam Driver
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cleaning Fuel Tank

I finally got the fuel tank drained on the SC. About nine gallons of putrid smelling "stuff" that was gasoline once. I pulled the sending unit (which had been reading almost full to the very end) and discoloration and crud on the outside tube indicates that the tank probably had about 15 - 18 gallons (my estimate) in it when the car was parked.

I took the sender apart and found a lot of rusty-brown crud inside the tube keeping the float from sliding, but the stuff is mostly non-magnetic, indicating it's not rust. Looking inside the tank every surface I can see has the same stuff on it. (And while I'm asking, what's that rather large tube I see running through the center of the tank, fore and aft orientation?)

The crud on the sender seems to be soluble in brake parts cleaner and somewhat in MEK.

I'm sure I can get the tank cleaned; any number of radiator shops can probably do that. But my questions are these: Are there any methods/chemicals that will clean the tank and not remove the original paint on the outside of the tank? And if not, what is the tank finish? The color is obvious, but what's the deal with the ripply, pebbled finish?

Ideas?
Old 11-21-2012, 10:44 AM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 30 Posts

The tank exterior finish is called Wurth Stone Guard Grey. It is best applied using the Wurth spray gun and drawing from a bottle of the SGG. I tried to use the aerosol can and had mixed results.
The new product is water based so a top-coat of color will need to be applied in order to make it solvent resistant. Just make sure the top-coat is water-paint compatible.

Inside the tank there is a swirl pot made of a plastic-resin material. It is there to keep the fuel level consistent duruing low fuel levels. Be careful using anything too chemically harsh as you may damage the swirl pot and render the tank useless.

One final note, you will need to remove the filter screen located on the bottom of the fuel tank. It is a 22MM internal hex to remove. It will likely be covered in the same "gunk" and should clean up with brake cleaner. If you don't do this step, you run the risk of leaving a clogged filter in place and burning up expensive fuel pumps.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:57 PM
Steam Driver
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there no way to remove the swirl pot, or was it sealed into the tank as it was being fabricated?
Old 11-22-2012, 10:04 AM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 30 Posts

The tank is a clamshell design. The swirlpot was mounted in the bottom half then the two halves were seam welded together later.
Old 11-22-2012, 12:03 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,172 Likes on 840 Posts

i am thinking " Fantastic Voyage " might be the best aproach ... just be carefull with that ray gun inside the tank ...

Quick Reply: Cleaning Fuel Tank