3.6L Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 04:39 PM
oftenon
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3.6L Conversion

Hi everyone, I have a 1984 911 SC 3.2L

I'm thinking about doing a 3.6L conversion for more power.

My current engine 3.2L runs well with about 220km on it, what could I sell it for?

I was offered somewhere in the range of $5500-6500

Also I found a long block 1995-97 993 engine (without any injection) for $4,000 is this a good price? To rebuild the top end I was quoted $3-4,000 or less is this a good price?

What kind of injection would you use? Webbers? PMO? cost?

I've got a list of things I need from Patrick motorsports to complete the conversion including SSI exhaust (I want heat, but don't care about a/c)

I've got the 915 transmission but I need something better than the factory clutch?

For anyone who has done this before is it worth it? suggestions on parts etc?

My dad is a mechanic so we can do all the work ourselves, Thanks!
Old 09-30-2012, 07:24 PM
wildcat077
Drifting

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts

Do a search on the Pelican forums,lots of reading regarding 3.6 conversions.You might want to have a look at "Instant G" Timmins has a lot of FAQ's regarding his conversion kits ...

Cheers !
Phil
Old 10-01-2012, 12:19 PM
CDILL
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 11 Posts

I actually just finished doing this swap in my 83' SC. If I were you I would take the $5,500 - $6,500 offer on your motor as soon as those figures came out of someone’s mouth. Your motor is most likely ready for a costly rebuild and that offer would pay for most of the parts necessary to rebuild a 3.6.

You should do a little more research on the 993 motors the 95’ model year is different than the 96-98 which have Vario Ram and adds about 10 more hp. The 993 series cars are also vulnerable to the SAI issue. If you are going to be doing a top end rebuild the SAI problem would be corrected, but could become an issue in the future. I did have my heads rebuilt with new valves and Eibach high rev valve springs (purchased through Andial) total cost on the machine work and parts was around $2k. I also have a friend that is able to source parts at wholesale costs from Patrick and Porsche and I had about another $4-$5K in parts (this figure will double if you do not have this ability). This cost would be a little less if you decided on to do a top end rebuild. I figured that while it was out I should just go through the whole motor.

I personally would suggest using the factory injection system on the car. Either find a motor with it in tact or find a used one. You will be using the computer from what ever series engine/car you choose and there could be some issues setting up Webbers or ?? that is just my opinion and others have been successful running this set up.

I also wanted heat and I am required to go through emissions checks where I live so I put a 3.2 heat exchanger / exhaust system on the engine which does restrict the 3.6 quite a bit. I do run a cat bypass to get some power back and have a cat that I can easily swap out when I go in for testing. It also sounds like a totally stock 3.2 car… SLEEPER!!

The power is a night and day difference!!! I have the 3.6 from a 964 series car which stock was about 250hp. I have ridden / driven in a car with a Vario Ram motor that is about 280 hp with the SSI system and it is hard to keep the tires from spinning with 17x9's and 255's on the back.

The 915 is a pretty good match for the 3.6 motor also in my opinion. I had mine apart and check all components before installing back into the car. It shifts smooth and the gearing is nice especially 3rd and beyond. As far as a clutch is concerned I used a high performance Sachs disc/kit, but you will be able to install what ever is available for a 915.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. There are a lot of little items that you will need to figure out that Patrick and Timmons won’t understand or be able to help with from my experience.

Last edited by CDILL; 10-01-2012 at 04:39 PM.
Old 10-01-2012, 12:49 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,115 Likes on 797 Posts

just to correct the above post CDILL means SAI issue ( Secondary Air Injection ) . Bottom line is all these cars have the issue. The only difference is the 95 is OBD1 and does not monitor the system. 96 and on have OBD2 and will light up the light on the dash. Havig said that if you are wiring it in to your car without the light i wouldnt worry about it. Tis is an emmisions code for cold start and will have no bearing on performance.
Old 10-01-2012, 04:52 PM
CDILL
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
just to correct the above post CDILL means SAI issue ( Secondary Air Injection ) . Bottom line is all these cars have the issue. The only difference is the 95 is OBD1 and does not monitor the system. 96 and on have OBD2 and will light up the light on the dash. Havig said that if you are wiring it in to your car without the light i wouldnt worry about it. Tis is an emmisions code for cold start and will have no bearing on performance.
Yep I did mean SAI (Fixed)

Most likely you will not be installing the gauges from the 993 or 964 depending on what motor you choose especailly to have the use of the dereaded engine light. You will have the ECU and should maintain either the OBD 1 or 2 ports again depending on the engine you choose which can be used for future diagnosis should it be needed.

Do some research on SAI it can be the indication of a problem. This is something that is very common on a 993 motor starting around 50k miles even on the 95's even though there is no code.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:22 PM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Go to Patrick Motorsports - Instant G has some good resources.

If you keep the 915 then at least add some 930 bearings and a no flex side plate. If you plan on tracking it - then add a cooler too (to the 915)

It's not cheap by any means - especially not cheap if you buy an engine that needs work.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:19 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 547 Likes on 380 Posts

on a t/p SAI is not an issue, just remove it, unless you were smart/lucky enough to use a RoW engine which never had it to begin w/

a '95 OBD1 or RoW '96-98 OBD1 motor is the best to use, the US OBD2 motors used from '96-98 are more of a PIA to deal w/. I'd highly recommend an OBD1 motor w/ the stock electronic management system

I felt that the 3.6 is fine w/ any of the 915s, the 3.8RS I used for a few years not so much, gearing on a stock 915 is a little short for 3.6 w/ stock tires though, the later higher geared 915s are a better match than earlier lower geared versions

I used a high torque comp clutch on mine it is sort of on/off and often a PIA in dd, a Sachs power clutch would probably have been a better choice

Quick Reply: 3.6L Conversion