Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Red Line for my very belated Post Purchase Inspection

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 11:46 AM
Lapkritis
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gibbs93
Nothing gives me greater pleasure than being my own mechanic.
have you tried match.com?
Old 09-21-2012, 12:48 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by MillenniumFalcon
I guess I need to research solutions for getting the camber back where I need it to be struts costing what they do, I wonder if monoballs would give me more camber adjustment??

-1.4 was the least amount of camber he could dial in for me, as one side was -1.4 and the other side was -1.2, with the the strut caps pulled as far outboard as he could get them....

Today I removed the rack spacers and raised the front end 1/4" and the car settled down quite a bit (but nowhere near "dead steady"), and this of course added some toe-in, so I'm going to have to reset the toe this weekend myself. Thanks for the tips guys.

I am running tire pressures: FT 32 and RR 34. I'll try 29psi up front as well.
I've done a lot of tire pressure experimenting with P-cars. A good friend under inflates his tires to achieve a more comfortable ride; I find the handling dangerous so I don't go there. That said, I've found 32 psi to be too high for street tires used on the street. The steering does get "lighter" at that pressure, but road feel is reduced to the point where one might think the car is twitchy.

For my driving style I prefer 30F/35R in my '82 SC, a coupe set to Euro height, with Bilstein HDs, corner balanced and professionally aligned. The specs I use are (F) 0.8 neg camber, 0 toe, 5.3 caster; (R) 1.2 neg camber, + 1/32nd of toe out (each side). The rear toe helps with turn in, but has virtually no effect on highway speed straight line stability. Also, I had 200 pounds (my approx. weight) in the driver's seat + a half tank of gas.

Different driving styles encourage different specs, but the above set-up allows me to stay with anybody on canyon roads, and it's a great compromise for fast sweepers.

If you can do your own alignment, experiment!
Old 09-21-2012, 05:11 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

My toe plates are still not in. Was hoping to play with them this weekend. Hope UPS beats me home today.
Old 09-23-2012, 01:35 AM
MillenniumFalcon
Rennlist Member

I grabbed a different tire pressure gauge and found my front tires inflated to 34psi- apparently the gauge on the bike pump that I used is inaccurate... I brought the tires down to 29 psi and it made a world of difference on the freeway. There are some pretty bad roads here in SoCal.

I also reset the front toe to 1/16 toe-in. All these things helped considerably, but I can see that 1.4 neg camber will continue to give me some trouble up front. I will have to live with it until I can afford struts. The KYB cartridges I bought are also pure crap- not a good a choice for this car, and not worth the money I saved by not buying the Bilsteins.

Thanks again for the much needed guidance.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:21 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,139 Likes on 814 Posts

wow kyb ? really ? whar are ya .. new ?

i think this could be the first ever thread that even mentions KYB in the history of Rennlist ... ^ timeout
Old 09-24-2012, 09:51 AM
MillenniumFalcon
Rennlist Member

Old 09-24-2012, 10:38 AM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,913 Likes on 2,903 Posts

Originally Posted by amber lamps
Many of you know I'm my own mechanic. My '88 911 Cab has not been to a shop the entire 5+ years I've owned it. No PPI, no prior experience with Porsches, no budget to speak of, and (the hardest admission) a car that was obviously badly neglected by its original owner if not just willfully driven on salted roads.

In the time I've owned her she has gotten a long list of restoration measures, modification, maintenance, and upgrades. Some simply to bring her up to being road worth, others because I wanted it that way. Heaven knows I've asked some stupid questions along the way and needed a lot of hand holding by many of you.

Since early spring the work kinda went into high gear. RS carpet, door cards, steering wheel, etc inside, and strut inserts, rotors, pads, sensors, hard and soft brake lines, parking shoes, and several other small projects.

Coming up this week is turbo tie rods, ride height and toe adjustment, back tires, C/V boots, and a full tune up, oil change, and valve adjustment.

Needless to say I've turned a lot of bolts.

With all this work, and I do trust myself to some extent, she needs a once over by someone other than myself. My local indy requires my first born, so that is out.

To the rescue is Marc at Red Line http://redlineporsche.com/ , the guy that told me how to resurrect my Quaife LSD and introduced my tired G50 to Kendall Oil and GM LSDA.

I'm basically going to have Marc do a full PPI per Pete's instructions in the sticky above. Whatever he find that needs doing, I'll do. I just think I've finally got the 911 where it should have been to begin with, and Marc should be able to tell me if I'm right or wrong. I can't think of a more competent professional that will do this for me without killing me financially in the process.

Here's to hoping.
doug - way to go taking on the challenge of working on the car yourself - there is certain cosmetic work i can do on 911's and have stirpped apart and restored 356's but i won't go near the engine or suspension of a 911. good job and keep us posted on the PPI results.

Quick Reply: Red Line for my very belated Post Purchase Inspection