Windshield antenna/pre-amp

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 09:38 PM
flexbert
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield antenna/pre-amp

1986 Carrera.

Earlier this summer I replaced the less than stellar Blaupunkt Monterey (poor sound, scratchy front speakers, many inoperable buttons, can't see the display at night unless I used a flashlight, no aux input, etc). I wasn't looking for audiophile quality, just something more usable with a clear sound. I certainly love the flat 6 sound but there are times when driving that it's nice to be able to listen to the other kind of music. I put in a decent head unit, replaced the front speakers and by-passed the Porsche fader so the new head unit is driving the four speakers. I will eventually replace the rear speakers as well.

One of the other symptons that the Monterey displayed was that outside the city I would get poor radio reception. Before I did the new stereo install I did research that and it appears that poor reception is often as a result of the windshield antenna amp (booster) not working. I decided to go ahead with the new stereo anyway and if the radio reception didn't improve with the new head unit, then I would dig further. BTW, I made sure when I installed the new head unit that I did connect the switched 12V to the antenna amplifier line as it was with the Monterey. I am still suffering from crappy radio reception when I get outside the city.

I dug into the pre-amp issue tonight. First off, it's a bugger to get at, buried behind frunk strut and then behind another electronic device (I think the door locking brain??). I started at it, removing the blower motor cover to open up a little space. I discovered that the wire that runs from the windshield antenna to the pre-amp is disconnected close to the windshield. It appears to have broken off close to the windshield (you know, under or behind the dash or windshield seal) - I think I found the pass through the dash where the wire is supposed to go. On first glance I think if I want to use the windshield antenna, this will be at least a dash out repair to re-connect this wire.

I can live with it as I can at least plug in my iPod or phone if I want to listen to music outside the city. Eventually, if/when I have to remove the dash, I may tackle it. Any thoughts or experience with this ? Anyone rig up some other kind of discreet antenna, bypassing the windshield antenna ? I will not be installing a fender mounted antenna.

I have searched here, Pelican and Google but did not find (doesn't mean it's not out there ...) this specific problem or a solution to it. Thanks in advance.

Lex
Old 09-11-2012, 11:45 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

funny a guy named lex working on the windshield
that is all... carry on
Old 09-11-2012, 11:52 PM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

I have used something similar to this in the past on different cars: http://compare.ebay.com/like/230676788730?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

Quick Reply: Windshield antenna/pre-amp