Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Could this be..Really??

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 06:14 PM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Could this be..Really??

No such thing as refrigerant leaks (strickly) due to "non-barrier" hoses.......

My '92 R/awd Ford Arrestor, front + rear A/C, was just in the shop being converted to R134a refrigerant. Normal charge has been ~$160, this time ~$200.00. Difference was due to having to replace leaking o-rings on the rear of the Sanden compressor, something having to do with the refrigerant OVER-pressure relief valve.

Say WHAT..??

According to the Ford factory manual if the refrigerant pressure rises to high then the valve opens to atmosphere to bleed off refrigerant, but then "resets", closes, to preserve the system integrity. With the A/C compressor clutch controlled by a binary pressure switch why would the system ever go over-pressure?

The answer would be an inadvertently overheated engine, cooling system, radiator, heating up the nearby A/C condensor and thereby raising the internal liquid refrigerant pressure. While I am by no means stating this as a definite answer for the reason our air-cooled Porsche's consistently lose refrigerant, it most certainly has a ring of truth to it.

Drive our Porsche's HARD on a HOT day, making full use of the A/C, and now shut down the engine. How high would the pressure go in the rear lid condensor, overall high side, with all that engine heat rising up through the rear lid condensor.

From what I could find on the INTERNET most automotive A/C compressors included an over-pressure relief valve, at least up until venting R12 to atmosphere was outlawed.

Could this be the real, actual reason, our refrigerant charge only last 2 years? The stage is certainly correctly set.

Last edited by wwest; 08-31-2012 at 03:06 PM.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:43 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

I don't know. My 911 a/c sucked. My 993 a/c is great.

Quick Reply: Could this be..Really??