Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Temp registration and driving new car home?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 10:51 PM
veduta
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Temp registration and driving new car home?

A little help please if any one can? Let's say I plan to fly to Texas and drive my new 911 home to Denver. I'm flying to Dallas on Friday after work and driving the car back to Denver on Saturday. There is no opportunity to get to a DMV in Dallas on Saturday, so what do I do about temp plates for the drive back to Denver. Anyone know how it's done? Thanks!
Old 08-29-2012, 11:57 PM
JABSEA
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I picked up my car 5 years ago in California and drove it back to Washington without doing anything with the plates. I just registered the car as soon as I was back in Washington and they provided new plates at the time of registration.

Be sure to carry all documentation of the purchase in case you get stopped.
Old 08-30-2012, 02:26 AM
nettles503
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you purchasing the car from a dealer? If so, they should be able to issue a trip permit. I bought my 911 in Spokane and drove it home to Portland under such an arrangement.

Did you contact the Texas DMV or look on their website? If the car has plates and current tags, I'd just drive it and take my chances. Odds are if you aren't speeding or doing anything to draw attention, you're not going to have a problem. And, keep your purchase paperwork handy just in case.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:06 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,110 Likes on 794 Posts

Just dont tell us its a Victory car
Old 08-30-2012, 11:29 AM
veduta
Instructor

No, it would be a private sale and not a dealer. Why would the PO allow me to drive away with his existing plates? I will try the Dallas DMV and see what I can find out. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 08-30-2012, 11:41 AM
ThomO
Instructor

When I sold my last car the owner drove it from Denver to Iowa with my plates then mailed them back.

It was easy
Old 08-30-2012, 12:07 PM
bobaines
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You can go to the TX DMV web site and download and print a Vechicle Transit Permit. It is good for 5 days.

If the seller leaves the plates on the car you can drive on those but he should take them off.

Have all your sales documentation while driving until you get it registered in your name.

Last edited by bobaines; 08-30-2012 at 12:58 PM.
Old 08-30-2012, 04:44 PM
veduta
Instructor

Thanks everyone! I lost this auction though. Oh well, the search continues! Thanks again.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:51 PM
nettles503
Cruisin'

I guess it varies state by state, then. I bought a Washington registered car with plates and drove it home to Oregon. When my Oregon plates arrived in the mail, I removed the WA plates and they're currently residing on a wall in my garage. Sounds like TX plates stay with the person, not the car?

At any rate, good luck with the search!

Originally Posted by veduta
No, it would be a private sale and not a dealer. Why would the PO allow me to drive away with his existing plates? I will try the Dallas DMV and see what I can find out. Thanks for the suggestion.

Quick Reply: Temp registration and driving new car home?