Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Clutch Pedal Play?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2001, 11:31 PM
RBC
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Clutch Pedal Play?

Just replaced the clutch (and associated components) in my '78SC, and everything seems to be working fine. I think the clutch may be engaging with the pedal too close to the floor though (about 2").

Something I just noticed is that the clutch pedal does not return fully to it's position when my foot is completely removed. When I let the clutch out, I can feel the pedal stick a little, and then tap the bottom of my foot as it "unsticks".

Tonight I crawled under the dash, pushed the pedal down, and released it. I found that after it's been released, I can manually pull it back another 2" or so, and this doesn't seem normal.

Could a bad clutch cable be causing this?

Thanks!!
Old 06-27-2001, 09:07 AM
Mark Kiwior
Advanced

Sounds like the cable is not adjusted correctly and/or is faulty. First try adjusting it using this procedure:
Old 06-27-2001, 09:07 AM
Chris Bennet
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
RBC (name?),
I've seen this on clutches that weren't adjusted properly. Maybe that's all it is. For a 915 tranny's like your '78 and my '86 the "gap" between the little lever and the big lever on the clutch should be 1.2mm with the cable totally loose. Tighten the clutch cable until this gap drops to 1.0mm. -Chris
Old 06-27-2001, 01:46 PM
82SC
AutoX

well if it comes back a bit on its own when you kick it...maybe a sticking cable...

but there is a spring pulling your pedal to the floor, and by hand there is a little bit of space to pull it towareds you...that is normal...

check your pedal cluster...see if the spring is in good shape, as well as the springs under the car...
Old 06-27-2001, 02:34 PM
Jdub
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is common. Saturate your horseshoe spring, under the trans, and wire brush it. Swipe in some grease, especially between the spring leaves.

HOWEVER, this is no substitue for new pedal rack bushings. Do this: remove the floor mat, accel pedal, rubber on clutch/brake, and pull the wooden floorboard. Take a light and look into the tunnel, to the right of the accel pedal, and look hard at the trunnion pin that goes through the pedal rack's clutch pedal shaft "ear" that resides in the tunnel. Do you see any small white bearing in there? Is there any bearing of any sort, or is there direct contact between the trunnion pin and the "ear?" This is bad news if no bush exists: rebuild your pedal rack, and replace the small rubber stop that is on the floorboard clutch opening, topmost.

Jw

Quick Reply: Clutch Pedal Play?