Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

1988 G 50 clutch bleed

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2012 | 07:17 PM
Zoom2012
1st Gear

Default 1988 G 50 clutch bleed

hi guy !

I suddenly lost the ability to engage the clutch. If I push the clutch in and try to select any gear it won't allow me to move the lever in. It's as if you tried putting it into gear withOUT pushing the clutch.

Engine off...I can pretty freely move the lever throughout the entire range.

No leaks..slave and master good. 88k miles..orig clutch. I found out the fluid reservoir was allowed to get low enough for brake warning light to come on.

So I bled it and it seems to be good a minute or so then reverts back to acting like I'm not pushing in the clutch !

Is a pressure bleeder ( Motive ) the best and sure way to get all air out ?

Chris
Old 08-19-2012 | 09:59 PM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

A pressure bleeder is a good method as air gets trapped in the system at the highest point near the slave cyl.

A vacuum bleeder is very effective, too.

The bigger question is where the brake fluid went to?
Old 08-22-2012 | 06:37 PM
GBoxguys
Instructor

If it was working correctly in the past I think that this would point to a couple of potential issues. First, how do you know that the slave is working correctly? If the only indication is that it is not leaking, then it could still indeed be bad. It could be a air leak in the system, as well. Worst case scenario, however, would be that you somehow broke off a ear that holds the gearbox fork in place. This does happen from time to time, but is a bit more rare than the other potential issues listed here.

Good luck,

Erik Johnson
GBox LLC

Quick Reply: 1988 G 50 clutch bleed