The dreaded oil change

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 06:56 PM
Mister Moo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
..its green .... just sayin
'Tis. Remove it (with a tinsnips, to be more clear).
Old 08-21-2012, 07:03 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,110 Likes on 794 Posts

a few added tips for the uninitiated ... when changing on an SC ..

after the car is completely warm drive the last couple minutes in one gear lower than you normally would .. .this will spike the engine temp enough to make sure that thermostat is open .. as you want all the oil out of there too.

Pull the car in the garage and immediately have your 15 and 19 mm wrench ready along with your oil pan( s)
crack the plugs and let the oil drain.. while the oil is draining pop out the red fuel pump relay . (safety as the car wont start without it ) .
Now remove your filter remove your oil cap and dip stick ..

Clean up the area and put your new filter on with the seal lightly coated in fresh oil .

The car is perfectly level at this point .. dont jack it up as you want all the oil from the front cooler.

About every 3 changes I pull the whole sump plate and clean it all and put in new gaskets.

put the drain plugs back after cleaning and fresh crush washers.

Fill her up to about 9 quarts .. warm up and top up while running of course at operating temp.

Incidentally you can put about 2 quarts in the tank without the drain plug in the crankcase and it wont leak out .. wonder how I know that !
i fill to max but others will tell you not to ... i have an updated dipstick recalibrated so you can fill to the max mark and the guage will read full . I top up with the guage .. dont try this at home

crank about 3 times for 10 seconds allowing the starter to cool in between .. this circulates the new oil before firing. usually you can see the oil presure guage jump slightly when its primed.

Replace red fuel pump relay and fire her up .

Quick Reply: The dreaded oil change