Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

The dreaded oil change

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 06:38 PM
Diron05
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool The dreaded oil change

Im excited about trying new things with my car(87 Carrera). I've heard/seen many negative comments concerning the difficulty of oil changes. I'm not mechanically inclined nor have I done it before but I really want to do this. Any advise and/ or words of wisdom? Thanks
Old 08-19-2012, 10:30 PM
Reiver
Drifting

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts

Drop cloth under your very large oil pan...it really pours out of the oil tank and getting it not to splash initially is dif...I have a lift and a professional size oil can with extending neck/splash pan....it still splashed.
That is the only issue.... Have the crush washers for the plugs.
Old 08-19-2012, 10:33 PM
llangston1
Track Day

Oil changes in this model are very easy. You just need a very large open oil catch pan to collect the oil after you drain it. I drain the crankcase sump first since it is only ~4 qts and then empty my catch pan. Then I drain the oil tank in the right side fender. Get you catch pan in place since you will get ~8 qts in a hurry. Crack the oil filler cap while doing this. Then you can change out the oil filter. Replace the drain plugs using new crush washers. Fill with 8-9 qts of fresh oil and then go drve it to get it hot. After the oil temp is over 180 check the level on the dipstick and add more oil to get the level in the middle of the two marks on the dipstick. You don't really have to jack the rear of the car if you can reach the drain plugs. I back up over a set of ramps just to get a few extra inches of ground clearance when I do this. Changing the oil in the 911 is way easier than my Lexus RX-300.
Old 08-19-2012, 10:49 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also use fresh crush washers and torque to spec.

BEST!

Doyle
Old 08-20-2012, 01:35 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To ensure most all the oil is out of the filter, I poke a hole on the top side of the filter, wrap a rag around it, and then put slight pressure on the hole with the air hose. 99% of the oil residue goes into the tank. Leave the rag around the hole while removing for a much easier cleanup.
Old 08-20-2012, 02:19 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Those inexpensive plastic mixing trays for concrete will catch a lot of oil. Aside from the initial gusher, it's so easy even an idiot can do it. And I say that with absolute authority.
Old 08-20-2012, 04:56 PM
Reiver
Drifting

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by JackOlsen
Those inexpensive plastic mixing trays for concrete will catch a lot of oil. Aside from the initial gusher, it's so easy even an idiot can do it. And I say that with absolute authority.
good idea...thought my oh so special catch tank would work alone...amazing how much/fast that initial gusher is....like bringing in a well.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:29 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

I'm not sure where you saw/heard "so many negative comments" about changing oil? It really is quite simple and a good chance to start learning about your car.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:36 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,110 Likes on 794 Posts

well put it this way. if you are not up to changing your oil ..then under no circumstances try anything else technical on your car ..
Old 08-21-2012, 10:31 AM
ChemMan
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Two books that will help you now and in the future are:

101 projects for your porsche 911

Porsche 911 Service Manual 1984-1989 (Bentley)
Old 08-21-2012, 03:31 PM
Mister Moo
Instructor

Originally Posted by Reiver
good idea...thought my oh so special catch tank would work alone...amazing how much/fast that initial gusher is....like bringing in a well.
D'oh!

If you get the 15qt drain pan and it has a screw-out center plug, don't just loosen it, remove it... gusher thing. And open the air-release plug, too. (I oiled my garage floor on the first oil change. Never saw that much oil move that fast. Mrs. Moo wouldn't let me go in the garage alone for two weeks after that.)

Put that pan on a sheet with raised sides is my advice. It's worth the extra step.

Old 08-21-2012, 05:01 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Don't waste your money on that POS. Go with the 15qt open pan. That silly yellow drain hole won't flow oil fast enough.

Originally Posted by Mister Moo
D'oh!

If you get the 15qt drain pan and it has a screw-out center plug, don't just loosen it, remove it... gusher thing. And open the air-release plug, too. (I oiled my garage floor on the first oil change. Never saw that much oil move that fast. Mrs. Moo wouldn't let me go in the garage alone for two weeks after that.)

Put that pan on a sheet with raised sides is my advice. It's worth the extra step.

Old 08-21-2012, 05:26 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,110 Likes on 794 Posts

..its green .... just sayin
Old 08-21-2012, 06:49 PM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

You can do this easily. Here are my tips:

I backed onto 2x4s to get another couple inches clearance, but it wasn't necessary, you can do it on flat ground.

Don't even bother punching holes or anything in the oil filter to "pre drain" it.... I've never had a mess just unscrewing it and tilting the opening upwards as it comes out. I loosened mine before draining (before my hands got oiley) and removed after draining both reservoirs.

Take your time and enjoy it, working on these cars is rewarding and fun!

New crush washers (pennies on pelican, grab a bunch when you order a filter) and torqueing to spec (note its a different torque for each drain plug) is good advice.

Wet the seal of the new filter with oil before you install it (just use your fingers to rub new oil on the seal).

Brad Penn 20w-50 is my choice for oil
Old 08-21-2012, 06:53 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by theiceman
..its green .... just sayin
Coulda sworn it was yellow a while ago...

Quick Reply: The dreaded oil change