Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Mhistory SC...What surprise costs should I expect to expect?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2012, 05:07 PM
Tremelune
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Mhistory SC...What surprise costs should I expect to expect?

I'm looking to purchase an '80 SC with no records, and I'm trying to piece together possible doomsday scenarios. It has (allegedly) 80k miles, but appears to have lived a hard life. The interior is worn and the paint isn't great, which (to me) tells a tale of neglect. It sat in a garage for two years after which a shop went through and replaced fuel lines, etc to get it running again. The seller has had it for a week and doesn't strike me as a knowledgeable Porsche enthusiast. That said, I'm told (by the seller, mind you) that it runs perfectly, drives tight, and has no rust. I would of course confirm this with a test drive, but I don't think he's being dishonest. I think he flips cars as a profession or hobby, and that is how he came into this 911.

There are more unknowns than I'm usually comfortable with for a car like this. Usually if there are no records I simply walk, but this car would fit my purposes quite nicely at a price that fairly takes into account its ugliness and mystery. Would it be reasonable to expect a PPI by a good independent shop to turn up all the real show-stoppers? For 944s, a missing piece of paper means an automatic $1500 for a new timing belt or a possibly grenaded motor, but from everything I've read about the SC, they mostly just need oil. Would cam chain, head stud, and clutch issues be apparent to a knowledgeable mechanic?

The targa top has the key broken off inside of it, so the lock or entire top would need to be replaced. I guess we can start there...
Old 08-18-2012, 09:50 PM
Reiver
Drifting

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts

Read the PPI sticky...leak down...head studs in place...oil consumption. If the lump needs a top end or more it'll be 6 to 12k approx. Low mileage does not guarantee anything. Lots of cars that need a top end drive well, do not smoke so you'd notice but consume a great deal of oil. Drive it but do the PPI.
Old 08-19-2012, 12:41 AM
GothingNC
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts

How much is the seller asking?
Old 08-19-2012, 12:49 AM
Tremelune
Three Wheelin'

I would think for $12k I could get a G50 3.2 in this thing, no? I'm actually less concerned with catastrophic failure as I am about losing $1000 here and there on smaller things. I can't believe a Targa top is in the $2000 area. I'm beginning to think I should just go for a nicer example and make an agreement with myself to not freak out about parking under trees and close to minivans.

He wants $8500.
Old 08-19-2012, 12:54 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Tremelune
I would think for $12k I could get a G50 3.2 in this thing, no?
A G50 CAR in the $12K range, or transplant a used G50/3.2L driveline in an SC? If the latter, you need to factor in replacing the torsion tube.

(Seriously, zero appeal on how you've described the car above.)
Old 08-19-2012, 11:06 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,119 Likes on 801 Posts

A lot depends on what you want the car for. To answer your question a good ppi will spot the issues you mention. A leak down will give you a good indication of engine health. Also depends on how much you can do yourself.
The cost of even a good used targa roof will shock you but i am sure someone knowledgeable will be able to fix it .
The big things to inspect are head studs leakdown, chain tensioner and shifting. The rest is comes down to maintanance, projects and what you feel is acceptable cosmetically.

Ps i sold my 944S and bought a 78SC 8 years ago and have never looked back. Certainly not the dd my 944 was but a ton of fun.
Old 08-19-2012, 11:52 AM
mfyoung1086
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by race911
A G50 CAR in the $12K range, or transplant a used G50/3.2L driveline in an SC? If the latter, you need to factor in replacing the torsion tube.

(Seriously, zero appeal on how you've described the car above.)
Or getting the Patrick Motorsports short bell G50 which is 6500 last I checked? Also a G50 swap is not that easy as you're going from cable to hydralic

I think 8500 would be okay if the greasy bits end up being good, and you're looking for a track rat

Get a good PPI, leak down, pull the valve covers go from there

12k for a G50/ 3.2 swap? You could prob source the 3.2 and G50 (short bell) for 12k yeah, but after your done replacing "while I'm in there's" and sourcing the odds and ends to make it work I think 14-15k is more realistic to target

In terms of the targa top, I think there's enough options for fixing it that I would see if I could just get him to knock 1k off for having to deal with it, honestly if I was track rating it anyways I would vacuum bag me up a carbon fiber top anyways
Old 08-19-2012, 12:06 PM
Tremelune
Three Wheelin'

A motor swap is quite ambitious, and is more of worst-case scenario if the drivetrain turned up sour. I would intend to keep the car "ugly" but keep the internals in good shape, which is why this example is compelling for me. If the thing runs well, I just don't stand to lose much, and I wind up with a mean-looking Porsche that I can drive in the Winter and park in Brooklyn.

In a fit of rationality, it's becoming more clear that this isn't the one for me. I have no place where I can do any of the work myself, which leads me to believe I should just find a nicer example or wait until I have a roof to put the Dream Porsche under. I have a Jeep for NYC, and I should give it the attention it deserves.
Old 08-19-2012, 01:39 PM
mfyoung1086
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tremelune
A motor swap is quite ambitious, and is more of worst-case scenario if the drivetrain turned up sour. I would intend to keep the car "ugly" but keep the internals in good shape, which is why this example is compelling for me. If the thing runs well, I just don't stand to lose much, and I wind up with a mean-looking Porsche that I can drive in the Winter and park in Brooklyn.

In a fit of rationality, it's becoming more clear that this isn't the one for me. I have no place where I can do any of the work myself, which leads me to believe I should just find a nicer example or wait until I have a roof to put the Dream Porsche under. I have a Jeep for NYC, and I should give it the attention it deserves.
I think thats for the best sound internals doesn't mean all the other bits don't need some looking after (esp the rubbers ones on a CIS car thats been sitting)
Old 08-20-2012, 09:18 AM
TroyN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Now if you can pick it up for $6500... (assuming it PPIs ok)

You don't need a G50, the 915s are fine. Unless you just want the more positive feel of the G50, in which case, find a G50 car ('87-'89).

Quick Reply: Mhistory SC...What surprise costs should I expect to expect?