Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

any recourse for misrepresented car?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2001, 01:06 PM
JC in NY
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you do not get satisfaction you should make a web page of your incident, revealing the name of the dealer and detailing your experience. Only use the facts, do not slander the dealer. You will be surprised how many people will come upon it in search engines and avoid this dealer. You will help thousands of people.
Old 06-27-2001, 02:13 PM
Hugh
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks all for the excellent advice and words of encouragement. I did speak with the dealer yesterday who expressed surprise and a pretty straightforward willingness to address the problem - i.e. take the car back if there is frame damage. It's that grey area between $6K of "reasonable" fixes and returning the car due to outright frame damage that I'm going to find awkward to negotiate to my fair benefit. But negotiation is the key. If I don't return the car I'll seek a partial refund or payment of fixes.

Points well taken around remaining cool and preserving the relationship. On the surface this is a good relationship, and I'll strive to keep it that way. I do think I'll be able to avoid the legal route, but I won't hesitate to go there if need be. The dealer is in Southern California but I won't share his name unless I feel he's been unethical.

The big DUH! (of course Thom F. is right) is that I should have had the car checked out by a third party beforehand. I can't emphasize that enough to anyone considering one of these cars. I was literally drunk on the sheer vibe of this 911. I lost my sunglasses, left my hat in the restaurant, signed everything put in front of me, and failed to avail myself of an excellent opportunity to use a solid family connection to a particular reknowned and excellent performance shop to evaluate this car. Ah well, I'm learning my lesson now. Let it be a lesson to everyone!

Cheers,
Old 06-27-2001, 04:39 PM
Thom Fitzpatrick
Racer

Red face

I wasn't trying to be a d*ck, but nobody else had pointed that out, and thought it would be a helpful tip for another potential newbie reading this thread. I can't count the number of "I got it home and it turned out to be a lemon" stories I've heard over the years.

In hindsight, I should have had a PPI on my own 911 before I bought it, but I spent over an hour going over the car myself before I bought it, and caught 99% of the issues with it, so I was *lucky*. I was even luckier when I bought my '72T years ago. I didn't know *jack* about 911s, and the car I ended up buying turned out to be a well-maintained, low-mileage cream puff. With a turn of fate, it could have been 180 degrees the opposite.

Originally posted by Planter91C2:
<STRONG>

way to throw salt in the wound, i'm sure that is what the poster wanted to hear </STRONG>
Old 06-27-2001, 05:56 PM
Joe Abrahamson
Intermediate

Hugh,

Now that the dealer is working with you its still very important to take the car and get the frame checked, by a third party and confirm that its repairable.

The bolt on bits that you need as well, while not cheap, are lots better than trying to fix the tub. See if you can find a Porsche dealer and without telling him who you purchased the car from, and get him to do a PPI and checking the frame at the same time.

JA
Old 06-28-2001, 12:46 AM
82SC
AutoX

thought it was illegal to sell a car without giving full details of the car like accidents...salvage...etc...
Old 06-28-2001, 08:56 PM
richard glickel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Wink

My gut reaction . . . if the dealer is willing to take back the car, do it and get your money back. There are so many very good cars available, if you take your time to look for one.

On the irrelevant side, here in NY we have a "lemon law" for both, new and used vehicles sold by dealers. Considering the advanced state of the law in CA, i am surprised to learn from other contributors to this discussion that no similar law exists in the California statutes.

By-the-by, free legal advice is usually worth exactly what you paid for it.

Get your money, get another Porsche.

Richard
Old 06-28-2001, 11:58 PM
Randall G.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by 82SC:
<STRONG>thought it was illegal to sell a car without giving full details of the car like accidents...salvage...etc...</STRONG>
Well, I'm no super-expert here, but ...

As I recall, if an insurance company "totals" a car, or if it is a theft recovery (regardless of whether or not it was damaged while stolen) missing for over 30 days, the car must carry a "Salvage" title. At least, I'm pretty sure that's how it works in California. Anyone who's a real expert on the subject please feel free to chime in ...

My experience has been that cars advertised with extraordinarily low prices (very) often turn out to have salvage titles.

One of the purported advantages of a CarFax check is picking up on a car that was registered in several states in a relatively short period of time. The idea is to take a car with a salvage title and "launder" it to a clean title. Lots of money to be made, considering the difference in price between a car with a clean title and a car with a salvage title.

[ 06-29-2001: Message edited by: Randall Granaas ]
Old 06-29-2001, 12:20 AM
Tom
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As an aside 911 & Porsche World has an article this month about repairing a 911 Carrera clubsport which sounds like it was in a similar state. It may be interesting to get an idea of what may be involved in doing a proper job with frame straightening etc, and what to look for with that kind of job.

I've been lucky once on purchasing a 944 with no ppi and had a learning experience with a 914 (on how not to buy a Porsche!) You are right, they all are very seductive. r
Old 06-29-2001, 12:43 AM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is no california cooling off..when you sing the contract..it states."no cooling off peroid"Used cars are sold " as is"..I am the general manager of a new car dealership in california...yes we take trades, and yes we run car fax....When the car goes thru the shop for smog, safety, etc...if a problem is detected...we analize, the cost to fix?./ If its acceptable cost, we do it..if not....we wholesale the car to the independent used car dealers......If you bought the car from a New car dealer.....and you approach them right.....(dont be a jerk)..They will ussually try to help....there is the chance they did not know of the damage...remember we just drive the car around the block. But in my own dealing with dealers personell...Goe easy on them, and they are ussually recptive...and willing to help in some way...Go in like a bull in a china closet......well.......your on your own...speaking from 15 yrs of auto biz....I will always take care of the nice guy, with a problem, and the Jerk with a prob.....is on his own.....good luck.....if you need any help please feel free to contact me...
Old 06-29-2001, 11:01 AM
Steve, 914 guy
Instructor

Good advice, Phil

Quick Reply: any recourse for misrepresented car?