Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

So I let the wife take the car for the day....

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 01:28 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by race911
And if I've been in the low hundreds of these, you've been in a measurable percentage of the whole production.

Let's hear a story or two about the most trashed ones you had the "pleasure" of bringing back to life!
LOL! Oh, my; the 915 dog teeth in the bottom of the trans. The broken gears. The broken, at their epoxy joint, shift levers. The bent valves from missed shifts...

But the worst has to be what the valet guy at a Beverly Hills restaurant gave back to my customer. While the owner was having dinner, the valet somehow managed to wear the clutch disc to its rivets, might even have set it on fire. This was an '87 G 50 car with about 30K miles.

As the flatbed backed up to our service door, the next morning, we could actually smell the burned clutch, before the tow truck driver unloaded the car. When it was apart we found a blue/black flywheel with toasty hot spots; and the pressure plate was almost as bad. The crispy-critter that used to be the clutch disc smelled so bad that we put it outside the building!

Yes, the car's owner took our invoice, and photos, to the restaurant. And, yes, after much complaining, claiming non-responsibility, and being threatened with a law suit, they relented and paid her entire bill. It was a miracle that the transmission had no damage.
Old 08-15-2012, 02:03 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by SiberianDVM
If you haven't replaced the coupler bushings, then I would bet on that being it. Mine looked like this, and shifting was like stirring a pot of soup:
OP,

Do yourself a big favor and instead of doing what was suggested above (if that's the issue), get an OEM short shifter. It is worlds apart from that long thrwoing, clunky stock unit.
Old 08-15-2012, 02:06 PM
Joe6pack
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife recenlty handed back my '87 Carrera with the rubber center separated from the clutch disc. I don't really blame her, although I do keep teasing her about it. Hopefully, it's just your shifter. For me it's going to run around $1500 for the clutch and the "while I'm at its" with me doing all the work.
Old 08-15-2012, 02:10 PM
SiberianDVM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SARGEPUG
OP,

Do yourself a big favor and instead of doing what was suggested above (if that's the issue), get an OEM short shifter. It is worlds apart from that long thrwoing, clunky stock unit.
Maybe he should check the coupler bushings first. I put in a WEVO shifter and coupler, and there is no way that a shifter replacement alone would compensate for trashed coupler bushings.
Old 08-15-2012, 02:46 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by SARGEPUG
OP,

Not so quick-that can easily hasten the demise of an old trans. Much more exertion is needed to engage gears, and can blow through components. There's nothing wrong with a stock throw, when all components and the adjustment is proper.
Old 08-15-2012, 06:13 PM
grant911
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't thank you guys enough for the help and the laughs!!

I just told my wife I posted this and read some of your comments to her. Good stuff! Thanks again guys!
Old 08-17-2012, 09:10 AM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Originally Posted by SiberianDVM
Maybe he should check the coupler bushings first. I put in a WEVO shifter and coupler, and there is no way that a shifter replacement alone would compensate for trashed coupler bushings.
Correction, I had a typo below, I meant to do it in conjunction w/ the coupler.
Old 08-17-2012, 09:13 AM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Not so quick-that can easily hasten the demise of an old trans. Much more exertion is needed to engage gears, and can blow through components. There's nothing wrong with a stock throw, when all components and the adjustment is proper.
Agreed that there is nothing "wrong" with stock. By if he is going to change the coupler bushings, while he is at it, chaging to a short throw would enhance his driving experiance. At least it did so for me! I have OEM short throws in both my Targa and C2S and can't say enough about them!
Old 08-17-2012, 11:39 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,106 Likes on 791 Posts

yeah i have a short shift in mine too .. as i am ahem ,, not the tallest guy in the world , i found that having the seat all the way forward and the age of the seat flattening a little the shift into second would actually hit the seat. the short shift fixed this nicely. However Ed is correct. Everything else better be damn perfect because a short shift can only make a bad situation worse.
Old 08-17-2012, 12:47 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

I've said this before, but to be clear there are three options for o.e. 911 shifters. (1) 1973 - 1984, (2) Stock 1985/86 (10% shorter throw than pre-'85), or (3) 1986 w/optional super short shifter (20% shorter throw than #1).

At each step shift effort increases. I put an '86 SS in my daily driver a number of years ago. I hated it! The effort, in Los Angeles traffic, was over the top. I took the SS back out, and replaced it with stock 1985 (see #2 above) shifter parts. The 10% shorter throw, combined with a minimum of increased effort, was the perfect mix for me.

After my own experience, I always cautioned customers about the increased effort required with the SS set-up, and most went with the 1985 version as a result. My $0.02.

Last edited by Peter Zimmermann; 08-17-2012 at 01:21 PM.
Old 08-17-2012, 12:56 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,106 Likes on 791 Posts

i have opion 2 in my 78 and is perfect for me
Old 08-17-2012, 01:31 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

I bought the OEM unit from Pelican for my '84. I believe it's 30% less of a throw and have no difficulties in shifting it, although I have heard some have issues. Even my friend I bought the car from, was very impressed by it!
Old 08-17-2012, 01:49 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

M 241, factory option code for the super short (SS) o.e. shifter introduced sometime in 1985, gave a throw that was 20% shorter than '84 and earlier models.
Old 08-17-2012, 02:55 PM
Einsteiger
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 26 Posts

If you ever hand the keys to a wife or girlfriend and their first question is: "what's that third pedal for?" TAKE THE KEYS BACK.

Quick Reply: So I let the wife take the car for the day....