Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Deciding between cars. Would love some help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 05:30 PM
trevor9098
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Deciding between cars. Would love some help!

Hi all,

Long time lurker, first time poster!

I am considering three cars, and feel like I've done *extensive* amounts of reading and watching on these. What I'd love is to get some experiences from RLF.

The three cars I'm considering are:

2007 Porsche 911 Turbo (28k miles, Tip, CPO)
2012 Cadillac CTS-V (New, loaded)
2009 Nissan GT-R (10k miles, CPO)

I'm leaning toward either the Porsche or Cadillac due to my reservations about the reliability of the GT-R. It just seems to be a car that's at such tight tolerances for each system that if anything goes awry, the car could self destruct. This is based primarily on anecdotal evidence.

This car would be my daily driver, for about 8k-10k per year. I live in Atlanta, so winter is not much of a consideration. I travel a fair bit and tend to go to the airport a great deal. It *seems* that the Porsche has sufficient room in the trunk for a bag a little bigger than a standard carry-on. That would be useful for me!

Reliability is important as I don't want to live in the shop, I love acceleration, but I'm not the kind of guy that hits the track on weekends. I tend to baby my vehicles. I'm 31, with a wife, but no kids yet.

Thanks for your thoughts all!

Trevor
Old 08-09-2012, 08:00 PM
MillenniumFalcon
Rennlist Member

You might want to visit the forum for Porsche turbos for advice on an '07 turbo. Sounds to me like you might be better off with the Cadillac, based on your needs. My .02
Old 08-09-2012, 09:52 PM
Reiver
Drifting

Received 114 Likes on 76 Posts

A Caddy for that.
Old 08-09-2012, 11:43 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hands down the new Caddilac for a daily driver. Must more useable for hauling people and stuff. Leave it at the airport and not worry about it (blends in a bit more). New car with a new car warranty for dead nuts reliability. Plenty fast and will handle well for normal street driving.

There is some room for a carry on bag in the front trunk of the Porsche, but if you and your wife have to travel, it'll be tough stuffing bags into that little sports car and then leaving a Turbo in the lot...
Old 08-09-2012, 11:46 PM
trevor9098
Advanced

Thanks for the replies all! I apologize, I thought I was posting in the right forum.

That said, I really appreciate the feedback. One thing I will ask is, it seems there was a concern about leaving a Turbo at the airport for a few days. Has anyone experienced any issues doing so?
Old 08-10-2012, 12:18 AM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I manage the small fleet of company cars for my work. I've had to inspect more door dings and keyings from the local airport that I care to keep track of. However, if you park carefully and have not had issues at the airport so far with your current car, you may be O.K.

911's do attract a bit more attention that some other more common cars...
Old 08-11-2012, 02:45 PM
scottb
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Trevor:

This may be blasphemy here on Rennlist, but I'd go for the Cadillac. I have a 2011 SRX, and it is a fantastic car. Cadillac's build quality has improvided substantially over the years, and the car itself is just a pleasure to drive. A close friend bought a CTS (not the V) and she loves it too. My guess is that the CTS-V would be an assume car to drive, yet still have the comforts that come with a Cadillac.

My $.02. HTH.
Old 08-12-2012, 12:29 PM
kevinr1247
Instructor

A 65k Cadillac????? Are they kidding? You couldn't give me that pos. Find a bimmer or a benz.
Old 08-12-2012, 01:05 PM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Porsche, you'll never look back. "not practical" is the dumbest term ever. If I can take friends golfing and go to hockey practice in my little '86 911, I'm sure you can manage a carry on luggage or an entire weeks worth of clothes for you and the wife in a 997 turbo.

Also agree with above, if the Porsche isn't the one, I'd be tempted by an M5 or M3, or the benz C63 AMG.

But of course, the best advice I can offer is to go drive all the cars on your list and go with your gut on what you enjoy most!
Old 08-12-2012, 02:02 PM
scottb
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kevinr1247
A 65k Cadillac????? Are they kidding? You couldn't give me that pos. Find a bimmer or a benz.
Kevin: Have you driven the car? As the old saying goes, "It's not your father's Cadillac" and it's anything but a POS.
Old 08-12-2012, 05:55 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I leave my Cayenne at Newark Airport airport all the time. Never really had an issue.
Drive the Turbo and the V, see what feels better for you.
I have spent allot of time behind the wheel of CTS-V's, they are terrific cars.
Old 08-12-2012, 07:32 PM
Reiver
Drifting

Received 114 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Marc Gelefsky
I leave my Cayenne at Newark Airport airport all the time. Never really had an issue.
Drive the Turbo and the V, see what feels better for you.
I have spent allot of time behind the wheel of CTS-V's, they are terrific cars.
CTS V does over 200 mph...the CTS 6 is a little slow and only does 160 mph
Old 08-13-2012, 06:10 AM
The Flying Dutchman
Instructor

I'll play the devil: buy the Turbo (in that brown metallic color with sand beige interior) or a new M5 or a second hand M5 with the V10 (later model years).
Old 08-15-2012, 01:36 AM
kevinr1247
Instructor

Originally Posted by scottb
Kevin: Have you driven the car? As the old saying goes, "It's not your father's Cadillac" and it's anything but a POS.
Dude, it's a 65k chevy. I'm sure it's cool although I've never driven the one to which you refer. But I can say that I actually owned an '83 Eldo coupe with factory wire wheels (not the hub caps mind you), a special order big-caddy rolls royce-esque grille, and factory adjustable air suspension. I'm sure it even had some engineering marvels that I wasn't even aware of. It was friggin' sweet.
Old 08-15-2012, 01:54 AM
trevor9098
Advanced

Some great advice here folks! I've taken both out, and it's a tough decision. The only thing they have in common is a great deal of power under the foot. I am leaning toward the Porsche only because if I'm not happy with it, I can sell it with a small depreciation if any. If I go for the CTS-V, I'd want it new and will take a big hit on it if I sell it soon after. I'm a former bimmer driver, and while they make excellent cars, to be honest, I'm a bit bored with BMW. I don't really trust MB's quality yet either.

Quick Reply: Deciding between cars. Would love some help!