Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Condenser fan 87 Carerra

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 02:00 PM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jar0023
If you want more airflow you can use a Carrera footwell blower motor in place of the regular condenser blower motor. You have to tweak the spade connectors on the wiring harness (IIRC change female to male spade) but otherwise the footwell motor is the same physical dimensions and will bolt into the housing same as the regular motor right down to the small phillips screw on the end. From memory the regular condenser motor runs mid 3k rpms and the footwell motor runs closer to 5k rpms.

But does the footwell motor still turn at 5K RPM driving the (larger?) front blower "wheel"...?

It will produce more airflow and more noise.

Hmmm..more noise...did you confirm that the footwell motor was tuning the blower wheel the correct direction? Both rotations will produce airflow but with the wrong direction you get more noise and a lot less airflow....

You won't hear it inside with the windows up and A/C on but you definitely hear it standing in front of the car.

As it's set up from the factory the condenser moves just enough air to create a circular airflow when the car is at rest. Flow is down on the left side and up on the right side. Someone at Pelican came up with a diagram. I tested it with a square of toilet tissue. The suction on the right side will hold it against the protective cage.

My Kestrel airflow, airspeed meter indicated outward airflow fully across the front condenser airflow ducting area. I also tried the toilet paper test with the same results, NO reverse flow.

I ran the footwell blower motor for a while and eventually went back to the regular condenser motor. I noticed no difference at speed and not much difference at low speeds. I don't spend any real time in heavy traffic where the more powerful fan might make a difference. -J

Old 11-06-2013, 02:03 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by wwest
Don't poke the bear. We are only lemmings and must follow and believe all that is said by the manufacturers among us. They NEVER do wrong.
Old 11-06-2013, 04:47 PM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by amber lamps
Don't poke the bear. We are only lemmings and must follow and believe all that is said by the manufacturers among us. They NEVER do wrong.
Makes me so very glad I am not a manufacturer...not in the Porsche or A/C venue anyway.

Quick Reply: Condenser fan 87 Carerra