Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

My Exhaust is Too Loud. How Would YOU Quite it Down Without Making it Suck

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 11:27 AM
Ds1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Exhaust is Too Loud. How Would YOU Quite it Down Without Making it Suck

So I got a great deal on a Fabspeed muffler bypass pipe, but did not realize at the time that my car already had a straight-steel cat bypass that someone must have put in a long time ago. Needless to say, the car sounds AMAZING now; I absolutely love it, but its louder than a dinner at your Italian cousins house.

Only problem is, I'm pretty sure every sheriff in the county can hear it whenever I start it, and considering it doesn't have a cat, I'm worried I would get pulled one and handed a $3000 ticket for not running a cat.

So this is bad. How do you suggest I fix it without buying a $600 hi-flow cat from Fabspeed? One person suggested getting a generic race muffler and installing it where the straight pipe is where the cat used to be. Another idea is to get a generic high-flow cat for $80 (http://www.jegs.com/p/Magnaflow/Magn...50982/10002/-1) and install it where the cat used to be.

My main goal is to keep the ripping-awesome sound, but just not be so loud, considering the car is a (almost) daily driver. Suggestions are appreciated!
Old 07-31-2012, 12:06 PM
Reiver
Drifting

Received 114 Likes on 76 Posts

DS1, I tried a few things and ended up with the same Fbspd pre muffler and bypass. The pre muffler has a larger chamber and some sound deadening effect with an internal baffle....you are basically running a straight pipe.
The fabspeed pre muffler is 300 bucks and will also work well with any one in muffler if you decide to go that route later.
You can also make your own baffle (I did to increase back pressure a tad for low end grunt) use the gasket between the pipe and end pipe as a guide and cut a piece of alloy or light gauge steel in that shape while marking the interior diameter in marker. Drill numerous holes in that marked section...I experimented and made a few until I found the one I liked using 1/4 in and larger bits.
It will reduce some noise but will improve your lower end. The trick is not over restricting.
Old 07-31-2012, 12:16 PM
Ds1
Instructor

Yeah, I looked at the pre-muffler, and I know its supposed to be a little less loud than the true straight pipe I am running now, but my worry is that I would spend $300 on it and it would still be too loud.

I like your baffle idea, though. I'm definitely a low-end fan
Old 07-31-2012, 04:16 PM
Reiver
Drifting

Originally Posted by Ds1
Yeah, I looked at the pre-muffler, and I know its supposed to be a little less loud than the true straight pipe I am running now, but my worry is that I would spend $300 on it and it would still be too loud.

I like your baffle idea, though. I'm definitely a low-end fan
then make your own premuffler....most mufflers just have vanes, baffles or packing to reduce noise.
Make a set of baffles for your thru pipe (one at each end but not restrictive) and experiment putting stainless steel packing in the pipe.
Get online and buy stainless steel pot scrubbers(you know the heavy coiled type)
and experiment with that in the thru pipe...a little goes a long way. Fine steel wool or fiberglass wrap eventually burns up/shreds and is expelled....the heavy stainless steel coiled type does not.
Hot Rodders have been doing that for years with good results.
What I would do would be to weld a thin steel rod to the center of the front baffle. Make it long enough so that it extends thru a matching hole in the back baffle for support.
I'd string the stainless mesh along the rod securing it in a few places so the 'packing' allowed airflow along the pipes sides creating a slow center flow and a faster outside hotter flow...this combo usually quiets things down without discernable power changes.
Or, just pack a small amt between the two baffles and see how that does.
Remember, with the Cat converter on there and the original muffler there was back pressure allowed for in the original system so you are just replicating that.
Fun to play with.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:02 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

Get rid of the muffler bypass. They are useless on this planet. As you id'd, you're gonna get cited. It also limits your ability to have fun with the car-a cop will hear you blocks away. I bet I would need all my fingers and toes to count the number of times I've seen people buy these, and then throw them on ebay 2 weeks later. Get a good muffler to go with the cat bypass.
Old 08-01-2012, 01:00 AM
Reiver
Drifting

or not.
It's not as loud as most say, at least with the pre muffler. I've had a cop tell me 'it sounds good' and it is nice at cruise...not at all distracting or loud...when you get on it it does rumble and I like that.
Then again I like a sporty sound....to me, most P cars make no sound at all and many like it that way.
Old 08-01-2012, 01:22 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

I ran headers and a dual out Flowmaster, I didn't shy away from loud. It's almost comical how many comments I got about Ruby's sound.

But, IMO, that was good loud. Muffler bypass-not so much, to my ears. You can get great sound through a muffler.

Ruby, at full song-the good stuff starts at 1:10 or so:

Old 08-01-2012, 02:18 AM
mfyoung1086
Racer

I'm with Ed on this one, I have a nice fabspeed dual out muffler and the sound is great, doesn't drone on the highway, but wot its a beast.

Now I'm not saying you need to go out and drop the dime on the fabspeed stuff, in all honesty I think they are a bit overpriced, and had my car not come with the fabspeed muffler all ready, I def would not have spent the money to buy it

Flowmasters sound good on P-cars, I just can't get behind a muffler called a flowmaster.... If I were you I'd find a good quality muffler shop and have them stick a Borla muffler on it (my fav sounding), if you want it to be shiny you could always have the exhaust system jet coated, but it honestly not worth it, the heat always damages the shiny bits, and my fabspeed muffler ain't the jewel I'm sure it once was

I've got a secret plan for a future new exhaust in the works, if it pans out you guys will see pics in the future hahaha
Old 08-01-2012, 03:05 AM
Reiver
Drifting

Why hang a big lump way behind the motor in the spot you most want to reduce weight More Cow Bell!
Old 08-01-2012, 10:08 AM
wildcat077
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by DianneRigby
very nice!
What is it exactly that you are doing on these forums ?
Looking at all your other posts,it seems that they're all basically the same useless comments on every section of this forum ...

Do you actually own a car ?

Just sayin ...
Old 08-01-2012, 10:34 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mfyoung1086
I'm with Ed on this one, I have a nice fabspeed dual out muffler and the sound is great, doesn't drone on the highway, but wot its a beast.

Now I'm not saying you need to go out and drop the dime on the fabspeed stuff, in all honesty I think they are a bit overpriced, and had my car not come with the fabspeed muffler all ready, I def would not have spent the money to buy it

Flowmasters sound good on P-cars, I just can't get behind a muffler called a flowmaster.... If I were you I'd find a good quality muffler shop and have them stick a Borla muffler on it (my fav sounding), if you want it to be shiny you could always have the exhaust system jet coated, but it honestly not worth it, the heat always damages the shiny bits, and my fabspeed muffler ain't the jewel I'm sure it once was

I've got a secret plan for a future new exhaust in the works, if it pans out you guys will see pics in the future hahaha
Look behind the Fabspeed label on yours, my guess is it could be a FM. Many that they sold are the Flowmasters-they just packaged the straps, tips, elbows, etc with them, and welded on a name plate.
Old 08-01-2012, 12:37 PM
Saml01
Intermediate

I recommend getting a 300 cell metal core cat. Very good quality, cheap and flow well.
Old 08-01-2012, 01:26 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 133 Likes on 86 Posts

My sig, tells my tale and the sound is just right!
Old 08-01-2012, 08:25 PM
mclmk8d
Instructor

I have an M&K pre-muffler and 1-in 2-out GT3 muffler along with an SW chip. Some think it's too loud, but I love the sound of it. This is just at idle; a nice rumble, but it gets much louder. I still need to do a video at higher throttle.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=RceNcjYbwtM
Old 08-02-2012, 01:53 AM
Reiver
Drifting

Originally Posted by mclmk8d
I have an M&K pre-muffler and 1-in 2-out GT3 muffler along with an SW chip. Some think it's too loud, but I love the sound of it. This is just at idle; a nice rumble, but it gets much louder. I still need to do a video at higher throttle.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=RceNcjYbwtM
Nice. That's not loud. It sounds like a flat 6 with a freed up exhaust system. I know exactly what it sounds like at full chat....nice.

Quick Reply: My Exhaust is Too Loud. How Would YOU Quite it Down Without Making it Suck