Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

My Exhaust is Too Loud. How Would YOU Quite it Down Without Making it Suck

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 02:15 AM
mfyoung1086
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Look behind the Fabspeed label on yours, my guess is it could be a FM. Many that they sold are the Flowmasters-they just packaged the straps, tips, elbows, etc with them, and welded on a name plate.
Don't go telling me things like that Ed!!! Like I said I don't mind the sound of FM's, but come on flow master!?! I could actually really care less haha, I just wouldn't buy a flowmaster, plus I really love the sound of borla's
Old 08-02-2012, 11:25 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by mfyoung1086
Don't go telling me things like that Ed!!! Like I said I don't mind the sound of FM's, but come on flow master!?! I could actually really care less haha, I just wouldn't buy a flowmaster, plus I really love the sound of borla's
Well, I know I'm partial, but we once did a run up Palomar Mtn with about 50 cars of every make you can imagine: CGT, F430's, M5's, Vipers, Corvettes, GTR, Chrysler 300 SRT's, 997TT's, 996's, 993's, etc, etc. Two photogs staked out on the way up came up to me individually, while we were kicking tires up top, and said ol' Ruby sounded the best of EVERY car making the run that day. So, Flowmaster ain't so bad after all.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:44 PM
Hunt3R
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ed, where'd you get a flowmaster exhaust for an older 911? Did some shop custom make it for you?
Old 08-02-2012, 08:49 PM
MillenniumFalcon
Rennlist Member

I think flowmasters sound excellent, provided there is either a cat or a packed pre-muffler installed up wind of them.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:20 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Hunt3R
Ed, where'd you get a flowmaster exhaust for an older 911? Did some shop custom make it for you?
I bought a "new" Fabspeed on eBay with the tips and straps for about half their normal price. Had the muffler shop make the elbows and supplied the header flanges, and weld it up. I think the FS kits from them only come with that and the 90's that require cutting and welding as well. One could do the same with a Magnaflow as well. Keep in mind I had headers, so it was a two in/out setup. I may have a pic on my computer-I'll look tonight.
Old 08-03-2012, 04:50 AM
mfyoung1086
Racer

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Well, I know I'm partial, but we once did a run up Palomar Mtn with about 50 cars of every make you can imagine: CGT, F430's, M5's, Vipers, Corvettes, GTR, Chrysler 300 SRT's, 997TT's, 996's, 993's, etc, etc. Two photogs staked out on the way up came up to me individually, while we were kicking tires up top, and said ol' Ruby sounded the best of EVERY car making the run that day. So, Flowmaster ain't so bad after all.
I think that had more to do with a 3.4 in the trunk than a flowmaster muffler

Ignorance is bliss Ed!
Old 08-03-2012, 12:35 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mfyoung1086
I think that had more to do with a 3.4 in the trunk than a flowmaster muffler

Ignorance is bliss Ed!
Actually, that was in 3.2 form....it just got a little deeper with the 3.4 bores.
Old 08-03-2012, 06:44 PM
Ds1
Instructor

See, I'm sort-of with Reiver on this one... I LOVE the sound of the super-free-flowing flat 6. It reminds me of all the days I spent at the race track watching 911's go around as a kid.

Only problem is most law enforcement officers haven't had the same experience. Saml01, I'll check out the 300 cell cat.

Maybe I'll just get rid of it and get a full muffler, I would just hate to screw around with cutting up the pre-muffler just to have it still be too loud.
Old 08-03-2012, 06:47 PM
Ds1
Instructor

P.S. I would love to go 2 In/Out with headers, but I want to keep the heat and already have the blower delete. Oh well.
Old 08-03-2012, 07:38 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ds1
P.S. I would love to go 2 In/Out with headers, but I want to keep the heat and already have the blower delete. Oh well.
My headers had heat exchangers: they were B & B.

Trust me, the novelty of the muffler bypass will wear out soon enough.
Old 08-04-2012, 09:13 PM
Reiver
Drifting

Received 114 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Ds1
See, I'm sort-of with Reiver on this one... I LOVE the sound of the super-free-flowing flat 6. It reminds me of all the days I spent at the race track watching 911's go around as a kid.

Only problem is most law enforcement officers haven't had the same experience. Saml01, I'll check out the 300 cell cat.

Maybe I'll just get rid of it and get a full muffler, I would just hate to screw around with cutting up the pre-muffler just to have it still be too loud.
What kind of noise ****'s do you have there anyway?
Your straight pipe must be a lot louder than the pre muffler that has an expansion chamber....try one, it works very well with a muffler also if you finally go that route..
http://www.autoatlanta.com/results.php
300 bucks no shipping/no tax.
I drive with the windows down (stripped the car for lightness-no ac) and the sound is great (to me) and not obtrusive.
Old 08-04-2012, 11:44 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

That's the point-a MUFFLER bypass is much different than a CAT bypass. It's basically a megaphone with no sound muffling whatsoever. Couple that with a cat bypass, and it is a straight pipe to the back. Not so sexy sounding, in most people's opinion.

Originally Posted by Reiver
What kind of noise ****'s do you have there anyway?
Your straight pipe must be a lot louder than the pre muffler that has an expansion chamber....try one, it works very well with a muffler also if you finally go that route..
http://www.autoatlanta.com/results.php
300 bucks no shipping/no tax.
I drive with the windows down (stripped the car for lightness-no ac) and the sound is great (to me) and not obtrusive.
Old 08-05-2012, 05:23 PM
Reiver
Drifting

Received 114 Likes on 76 Posts

Ed, I got that . That's my point too...if he likes the straight pipe deal he'd probably really like the pre muf/bypass pipe combo....might even be too quiet for him
Old 08-10-2012, 01:45 PM
Ds1
Instructor

Nah, I ended up canning the muffle bypass... as much as I wanted to like it, Ed was right :'(

Well, the neighbor to my left is the local town judge, and the neighbor to the right is a local sheriff. So...

I guess I'll just have to sell this bypass and put it towards a "real" exhaust. Thanks for all the help anyway, guys!
Old 08-10-2012, 02:12 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ds1
Nah, I ended up canning the muffle bypass... as much as I wanted to like it, Ed was right :'(

Well, the neighbor to my left is the local town judge, and the neighbor to the right is a local sheriff. So...

I guess I'll just have to sell this bypass and put it towards a "real" exhaust. Thanks for all the help anyway, guys!
And another bypass heads to "ebay".....

Quick Reply: My Exhaust is Too Loud. How Would YOU Quite it Down Without Making it Suck