Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

help w/ engine removal

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2003, 04:05 PM
Larry 88 targa
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question help w/ engine removal

i'm in the process of dropping the engine (first time for me) to deal with a couple of oil leaks. i have an 88 targa i'm using the bentley manual, 101 projects book and the directions posted on the pelican site. i still have some questions. should i take the engine only out or engine and trans? i can't get the hard oil line apart and can't seem to reach the reverse wire on the trans. suggestions? any other helpful hints would be greatly appreciated.
have a good day.
larry
Old 03-16-2003, 11:04 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts
Thumbs up

Larry,
Do a search on this topic, I think you will find some really helpful practical advice. An engine drop looks much more difficult than it really is. Just take your time and make sure everything is disconnected.

IM(notso)HO I would drop the entire assembly engine and tranny, It comes out just as easy, and goes back in a heck of a lot easier. and if you have it out it's a good time to check your CV joint covers.

The oil line is actually supposed to be somewhat soft. If it's real hard it will crack as you take it off and you need a new one anyway. Twist and tug at the tank, it will come off.

Some things such as the oil sender on top the engine (don't forget it!) are easier to remove at the half drop point. Start the drop slowly and disconnect anything you missed as you get access to it. Make sure the speedo and shift linkage are disconnected. They come out easy.

Good luck and have fun.
Old 03-16-2003, 11:26 PM
BoyT-911
Advanced

Larry,
I just helped a buddy install his motor/trans last week. I have a portable gadget/tool I use to install or remove 911 motor/trans. You are welcome to use it including the dolly and other paraphernalia. It takes about 15 mins. to remove the engine/trans excluding prep time. Let me know if you're interested.
Old 03-17-2003, 10:30 AM
1FastRedSC
Instructor

I just recently removed an sc motor for the first time, it's a lot easier than you thing. And if you position you support between end of engine and sump plate, it's basically balanced and won't pitch or tip. GL
Old 03-17-2003, 03:23 PM
catuck
Advanced

Larry,

I just dropped the engine and trans this past weekend. Definatly drop them together, its much easier.

I have one other suggestion. The first few times I removed my engine, I raised the car and supported it on jack stands. Then I balanced the engine/trans on a floor jack and lowered it onto a furniture dolly. This is easy enough with two people, possible alone. The main problem I had was transferring to the furniture dolly and balancing the engine is a little clumsy. This past weekend, I placed the dolly under the engine with a 2' long 4x4 wood post at the front of the dolly under the trans, then lowered the car to sit on its wheels after disconnecting everything (the block of wood was needed because the dolly was too low to support the engine and it worked well to support the trans first). I then jacked up the rear of the engine just enough to support its weight and loosened the motor mounts and trans mounts. Next I lowered the jack lowering the engine onto the dolly and jacked up the car. The engine trans. stayed in place (I was careful to push the engine/trans back until the shift rod cleared the chassis).I did this alone and it took about 15 minutes. This method worked great especially without a lift or an engine jack.

Good luck.
Old 03-17-2003, 09:17 PM
Larry 88 targa
6th Gear

thanks for the advice. glad to hear so many successful outcomes. i won't be able to back to the garage for a week or so. thanks again. your help is appreciated.
larry

Quick Reply: help w/ engine removal