Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Dropped nut in oil filler neck... FOUND

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 10:13 PM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Dropped nut in oil filler neck... FOUND

EDIT: Decided to do a last thorough search in engine compartment before checking the drain plug.... sure enough, there it was sitting on the "shelf" behind the oil filter under the hoses/wires that rest along there. It blended in very well, if I hadn't run my hand along I wouldn't have found it! Hopefully my panic-post serves as a reminder for us, I certainly won't ever leave that filler cap off again!

I should state, "possibly" dropped it. Stupid me, after filling up with new oil, didn't put the cap back on immediately and proceeded to remove the AC hose that has a little bracket on the decklid hinge. I removed this, and the nut fell, and I can't for the life of me find it anywhere in the engine compartment which to me, means that it likely dropped in the open oil filler neck.

Question: can this nut cause any internal damage in there? Are the oil lines big enough for it to fit into and clog, or will it simply drop to the bottom of the pan and (hopefully) attach to my magnetic drain plug?

I'm going out now to take out the drain plug and see if it's attached (hopefully I can do it without losing much oil in the process), but would love to hear some opinions on potential harm this could cause if I don't find it and if it is in there somewhere... or on how I could get it out.

Thanks!

Oh, I already drove about 150km as is....
Old 07-10-2012, 01:06 AM
spanky
Rennlist Member

Received 686 Likes on 475 Posts

YEA!!!! A happy ending!!!
Old 07-10-2012, 01:12 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Yikes. Would not have wanted to be you.
Old 07-10-2012, 01:54 AM
87turbo911
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Besides it being a good thing it was still there and you found it- interesting that it managed to stay there even after you drove it 150km.

Quick Reply: Dropped nut in oil filler neck... FOUND