Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Should I Purchase this '85 911/993 conversion?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 01:51 AM
mfyoung1086
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't be so fast to rush into this sale... Besides just a real PPI on the car, more importantly salvage title to me says take it to a good repair shop and have the check that it really was just stolen and strip not hit!

After that the discussion of frakenporsche is up to tastes... To be honest I've never really minded the 993 conversion for 2 reasons. 1) I don't think its a terrible looking conversion, seen worse for the 911's (hell alot of the Gembella, and Strosak body kits are worse) and 2) The conversion makes them worse less, and I would turn it into a track beater haha

is the car worth 16K? Oh hell no, gonna be 400 to rebuild just the speedo, the oil gauges could be a bad sender unit, the body panels are just quite right but probably the biggest... its just a stock 80's 911 under all the sheeps wool, with a salvage title. a 993 conversion doesn't add value to that

If it was me I'd tell him listen, theres nothing special about this car, its a 80's 911 that needs work and has a salvage title 10K max is the only offer I'd give him... more cars will come around my friend. I almost bought an 87 site unseen when I first started looking cuz I thought it was perfect the price was right wouldn't find another... than I found my 85, and I loved it even more!

I mean hell theres 3-4 better 911's in phoenix for less right now haha and I will link to them

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/cto/3035339282.html

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/cto/3119320756.html

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/cto/3119315133.html

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/cto/3118569271.html
Old 07-09-2012, 12:00 PM
kc chief
Advanced

Ed, you underestimate the number of stupid people in the world who want to look cool, lots of worse hacked up cars sold while I was looking. This one looks fairly clean and straight. My point is based on a lot of assumptions, 1. the car is otherwise ok, 2. the OP's budget is $15kish (yeah obviously if you have $22k to spend, don't buy this) , 3. getting this car for $12k gives you some money to fix those items himself and he won't lose money on the deal.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:20 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

This can't be OEM, This looks horrible... the gaps aren't very consistent.

Old 07-09-2012, 07:44 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Whoa, that's a mess!
Old 07-10-2012, 12:20 AM
Hunt3R
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was scared when I first saw that picture too, but in person it does not look like that. I'm not sure why that particular pic looks like the gaps are horrible.

Thank you for all of the replies, I've decided to pass on this car. A mechanic did check it out today and said he cannot find any issues with the suspension and expects the tires have permanent flat spots from sitting too long. Maybe... the owner says he will replace them. He also bought a new factory starter and it starts fine now. And the mechanic said he tightened the valve cover that I noticed leaking and it appears to be fine now, I'm skeptical that leak could come back though. And he said the speedometer will never work because the 993 speedo is electrical and the '85 gauge was mechanical, the only solution there is to buy an '85 speedo\odom gauge and hope everything works. He didnt get back to me yet about the rest of the gauges. The mechanic did say that the car is in great shape otherwise, but I did not pay for a compression test because I already decided to move on.
Old 07-10-2012, 12:21 AM
Hunt3R
Racer

If anyone is interested, here's the Autotrader ad:
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...22913770&Log=0
Old 07-10-2012, 09:40 AM
Raleigh993
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here is another conversion FWIW.

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/cto/3088532831.html
Old 07-10-2012, 10:04 AM
Hunt3R
Racer

Huh, about the same asking price. Looks nice from what I can see in the kinda blurry pics. Wonder what's working and what isn't compared to the one I was looking at...

I'm now looking into purchasing the black '86 911 in my avatar pic now for about the same price. Found it locally and it's all original, 96k miles, recently rebuilt tranny and valve adj, lots of little upgrades and it looks and drives like it's in near perfect condition inside and out and every single little thing works. And it comes with complete service history. Anyone just happen to know anything about it? It's been living in the Tampa area, possibly for it's entire life.

Old 07-10-2012, 11:08 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

That is a car you'd be better off with.
Old 07-10-2012, 11:29 AM
Raleigh993
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
That is a car you'd be better off with.
Agreed.

Looks like a nice one.
Old 07-10-2012, 11:58 AM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

+1... no poser'ing there, has a service history... PPI it.
Old 07-10-2012, 04:47 PM
pkrasusky
Racer

OK I'm dying laughing here

I was all but set to pull the trigger on that one a coupla weeks ago

had a great chat w/ the owner, then followed up w/ some emails

that's when things went 180 degrees

carfax odo entries looks like a bouncyball - allll over the place, no rhyme / reason

asked him about what he was using for his basis for his mileage claims on the engine / trans rebuild - if he had any supporting docs on any of that, etc. I also tried to brace him for the obvious fact that a TMU odo / salvage title / rebody is a smalllll market.

his response?

"I've decided I'm better off pursuing a local sale of the vehicle as it will be easier" - with zero responses to my legitimate Q's

um, yeah

and now to learn the speedo/odo don't work - he conveniently omitted that

he did say it's been great for him and never needed anything - this after admitting he maybe drove it 100mi last year - I noted to him well gee it shouldn't have needed anything then 8-)

Shame he's not up front - hard to not disclose a car pulling. Tires flat spotting I can totally see though, and the drip / starter don't worry me.

I too asked him about the panel fit to the nose, and the passenger door (top/rear corner), he dodged those Q's as well...

Funny, I too came across that blk coupe you're looking at... I strictly want cab's but that one did look nice.

Good luck!
Old 07-17-2012, 04:45 PM
Hunt3R
Racer

Well the black coupe is now mine! Barely driven it so far but I'm loving it, I told my wife I may start sleeping out in the garage with it...

And I swear the shifter feels like it's had some work done to it, definitely a short shift kit at the very least because I barely have to move it to go between gears. It feels way different from that rebuilt 85's, in that one I felt like I was pushing 1-3-5 into the dash the travel was so far and it had a kinda vague feeling where you were going with the next gear. But my shifter feels like it wants to jump straight into the next gear, up or down, and really just notches tightly into each gear. Still no spring on the 1-2 but I'm already used to that and kinda like it, I'll have to take her apart soon and try to figure out exactly what kind of work has been done.
Old 07-17-2012, 04:49 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Congrats!
Old 07-17-2012, 06:30 PM
jeffnudd
Racer

Originally Posted by Hunt3R
Well the black coupe is now mine! Barely driven it so far but I'm loving it, I told my wife I may start sleeping out in the garage with it...

And I swear the shifter feels like it's had some work done to it, definitely a short shift kit at the very least because I barely have to move it to go between gears. It feels way different from that rebuilt 85's, in that one I felt like I was pushing 1-3-5 into the dash the travel was so far and it had a kinda vague feeling where you were going with the next gear. But my shifter feels like it wants to jump straight into the next gear, up or down, and really just notches tightly into each gear. Still no spring on the 1-2 but I'm already used to that and kinda like it, I'll have to take her apart soon and try to figure out exactly what kind of work has been done.
LOL, Does your wife like sharing you with a 26yr old girl?

Quick Reply: Should I Purchase this '85 911/993 conversion?