uk newbie question.

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2003, 05:13 PM
jdk85uk
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post uk newbie question.

Hello all,

I am new to posting, but have been an avid reader for sometime. My question is, sometime ago someone posted some information regarding a new CDI box for 911 cars. I cannot remember the name of the company and I would like to buy one. Would someone post the company name and telephone number please. Did anyone buy one and if so, who from, cost and what is your opinion of it. Did it do all that was said it did. I remember some saying they were very good.

Thank you

Nigel
Old 03-15-2003, 07:57 PM
Porschephanatic
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

I bought a Perma-tune. Half the price of the Bosch and works great! <a href="http://www.permatune.com," target="_blank">www.permatune.com,</a> I think.
Old 03-15-2003, 08:58 PM
philfran
Intermediate

Here is the link.

<a href="http://forums.rennlist.com/cgi-bin/rennforums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=006071" target="_blank">http://forums.rennlist.com/cgi-bin/rennforums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=006071</a>

And here is the Pelican board thread on the same item.

<a href="http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=101938" target="_blank">http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=101938</a>
Old 03-16-2003, 03:51 PM
jdk85uk
5th Gear

Thanks for the information. That was the thread I needed. Would love to hear from someone who actually purchased one and hear their comments.

Nigel
Old 03-16-2003, 06:12 PM
B Forsyth
3rd Gear

Nigel,

I am also a longtime reader and a first time poster. I think I can answer your questions.

I too read the post about this new CDI system. As one of my Ignition boxes (Permatune) had just failed and I was driving around with a loaner from my shop, I was very intrigued with the claims put forward. I called an spoke to person called Neil Harvey. He told me that they (Performance Developments) were North American distributors for Link and M&W Ignitions and that M&W supplied Link and Motec amongst others with ignition parts. That cleared up one of my questions. I asked him about the claims of performance gains and MPG etc, and he told me that they had never dyno'ed to verify any gains, but had been told on many occasions of better performance. He told me that he felt that the Porsche world is very sceptical of anything new with claims of performance. He offered to give me a full money back guarantee if I was not satisfied with it and it was still in perfect condition. So I decided that I had nothing to lose and ordered one. I received a single unit that would take the place of my 2 Peratunes. It came with a small loom to plug into my stock wire harness, and a wiring diagram. My first problem. I have 2 CD units with 2 plugs and this new unit only has 1 plug. I called Neil and asked how to install. He asked how the Permatunes were wired and told me that if the original wires were spilt to run the second CD box, I could just plug theirs into one of the plugs and to wire both coils from the same plug. Seemed pretty simple. He did suggest that I could use a single dual output coil. I did as he said, and the car started right up. It definitely started better and it did sound different. I drove the car and it felt stronger, but around 3000RPM I had a big misfire. I drove back to my house and reinstalled the Permatunes and no misfire. I called Neil and told him about what I had found. He told me that they had seen this before and asked me what plug wires and spark plugs I had. I told him I had stock ones. He suggested I change my plug wires and fit resistor type plugs. He also gave me the number of a shop (Scott's Porsche in Anaheim Ca) who had experienced the very same problems. He offered to send me a set of Magnecor wires and Plugs and to try them. If they did not solve the problem, he would refund the full cost of the CDI box and I could keep the wires and plugs for free. I told him that changing over the plug wires was a little beyond my abilities and that I was unsure if I had wired the CDI box exactly as he had told me to. He suggested I get my regular shop to fit everything, check the mixture and if it still misfired he would pay for the labor. As I was using a Permatune on loan from my shop I considered this to be a good deal. The new wires, plugs and a new dual type coil arrived overnite. They fitted the new wires, plugs, coil and checked my wiring job. The car ran great. No misfire. They had to readjust the mixture as suggested. It car pulls a lot harder and does sound different. Everything claimed about this CDI is true. I asked my shop why the plug wires caused the misfire, and they thought that as the car seems to have more power, the CDI box probably puts out more spark energy and that the stock wires were probably breaking down. They think the engine makes a least 10 more HP with the new CDI box. You can definitely feel it. I have kept everything and are extemely pleased with the CDI box. The customer service was excellent, and the fact that they offered to refund in full my money, made this very easy.
The single CDI box and 1 coil has cleaned up the area inside the engine compartment also. I did contact M&W directly and they redirected me back to Performance Developments. I hope this helps you and I for one can recommend this CD box.

Byran Forsyth
Old 03-16-2003, 09:08 PM
okdata
Cruisin'

Byran,

I agree totally. I started this post. I'm glad you found the same things I did. I did not have to change my plug wires though. I'm going to change now. I understand what you said about been skeptical. I was. BTW, are you twinplugged? What distributor are you using?

Nigel, you won't be disappointed.
Old 03-16-2003, 10:18 PM
m42racer
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I also agree. Had one, there fantasic. Huge improvement over whats normally offered. I sold mine as I went fully electronic.

True tuner/engineers don't have to BS about their products. Do a little research into Performance Developments/Neil Harvey. Road and Track tested one of his cars and it won their 0-100-0 contest. If Road and Track test his stuff, then thats a good enough recommendation for me.

Go get one Nigel!

Simon
Old 03-17-2003, 03:39 PM
jdk85uk
5th Gear

Thank you all. Thank you Byran. That was exactly what I wanted to hear. I ordered one this morning. I will post my experiences as soon as I get it.

Nigel
Old 03-17-2003, 04:35 PM
emcon5
Addict
Rennlist Member

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by B Forsyth:
<strong>Nigel,

I am also a longtime reader and a first time poster. I think I can answer your questions.
snip
The single CDI box and 1 coil has cleaned up the area inside the engine compartment also. I did contact M&W directly and they redirected me back to Performance Developments. I hope this helps you and I for one can recommend this CD box.

Byran Forsyth</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Bryan, can you tell us a little about your engine, and what coil(s) you are using?

Thanks,

Tom
Old 03-17-2003, 08:03 PM
bones
Instructor

it would be useful if people could say what model car they have
Old 03-17-2003, 09:50 PM
B Forsyth
3rd Gear

Tom,

I own a 1982 3.0L SC. I had a complete top end rebuild sometime ago, and at that time I went ahead and had the Cylinder Heads Twin Plugged. I have a single distributor built by that fellow in Oregon. I have no other mods done to the car or engine. I am running a single Dual output coil made by ND. I do intend to refit some new special Ferrite coils that I have ordered from Performance Developments. At the time of the CD swap, they had none in stock.

Byran
Old 03-18-2003, 08:56 PM
emcon5
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the reply Bryan,

What made you decide to twin plug an otherwise stock 3.0 engine?

Tom
Old 03-20-2003, 11:40 PM
B Forsyth
3rd Gear

Tom,

Sorry for the delay reply. Not on here very often.

When the Cylinder Heads were repaired, it was suggested to me to go ahead and Twin Plug them as they were all apart and it would cost only the machining to do. I decided to follow this advice, and had every intention of not converting, but rather plug up the hole with a dummy plug. Soon after this, and before my engine was back in the car, I stumbled across a complete RSR distributor at a garage sale. It needed cleaning and minor work, but everything was in good shape. I paid $ 50.00 for it. It was a divorce sale and the wife had no idea. Guess I was luckey that day. Never since, until I found this new CD box.

Byran
Old 03-23-2003, 01:50 PM
jdk85uk
5th Gear

As I promised I would post my experiences with the new CD box I ordered, after hearing about it on this forum.

Well, I received my package, my new CDI, which I was eagerly awaiting.

The instructions were very simple, and the small wiring loom was very easy to install. The only requirement was to remove my existing CD box and remount the new one. The wiring loom plugged into the new CD box and the other end plugged into my car loom. That was it.

The car started immediately and ran great. I have not had enough time to fully compare this new CD box but to give my impressions thus far, they are.

Did the car start better. Yes. Alot, and its cold today.

Did the car sound different. Yes, seems crisper in tone.

Did they car drive better. So far it appears to, but I have not driven enough to really compare.

Did the car make more HP. Definitely feels stronger.

Would I recommend this part, as others have. Yes.

Nigel

Quick Reply: uk newbie question.