Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

New to 911s -- Looking to buy

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 03:42 PM
Coy Gillenwater
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to 911s -- Looking to buy

Here is a car I am considering -- does anyone have any advice for me...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsc...item2571e922d9

Anything I should look for -- anybody in the area that could help -- I am in Charlotte, NC...

and shops in that area do a PPI...

Thanks in advance...
Old 06-30-2012, 04:13 PM
u7t2p7
Banned

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Coy Gillenwater
Here is a car I am considering -- does anyone have any advice for me
Buy the best condition car you can afford. The car you reference has been modified and is not an original wide body. As a result the value decreases significantly and is very hard to resell. Don't be overly concerned with miles on the car but rather condition (mechanical, body, service history). Always get a PPI and if you use the search feature here you can easily find the best independent shop in the area in which the car is located. Also you can post a request for shop information and/or have a RLer do a Rennfax (a RL member close to the car will go check it out for you and give you their opinion).

Just did a quick search; many RLers recommend Eurowerks in Charlotte. There are a few others as well.
Old 06-30-2012, 05:00 PM
Shannon123
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The older these cars get, the more the buyers are likely to be purists. With that in mind, I'd be careful with a heavily modded car like this.....also, IMO, the price is way too high for the milage.

I shopped an '82 cab that was perfectly restored, wide body/turbo look..perfect paint, new suspenstion all the way around, 9X11 Lindsey Wheels, 60k miles etc etc The problem.....there was no such thing ever made. Cabs were not made in '82, therefore, it was a targa made into a cab. While the car was literally PERFECT, I passed since if I ever had to sell it, it would have taken years....I know this for a fact since I kept in touch with the guy that owned it and it took him almost 3 years to sell it.
Old 06-30-2012, 06:04 PM
budge96
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 94 Posts

The prior posters both have valid points..however , the car looks to be a very well kept vehicle and retains original drivetrain and electronics ,guages etc.
Even though mileage may be significant if the car passes an emmissions inspection and ppi it could be
just the vehicle you're looking for. these modifications don't come cheaply and better to let someone else
pay the upfront costs and enjoy at a discount.
Modified cars can take longer to sell but everything has its price and a buyer you just need to determine
if it's right for you...Bert
Old 06-30-2012, 07:11 PM
Ramp
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Good advice about seriously modded cars - they may in fact be very good but resale will always be difficult - same reason I have turned down salvage title vehicles that are perfectly good at a great price - almost impossible to ever sell again when you want to flip - If your in it for the long haul, and the car otherwise checks out, then go for it - with the understanding that its yours for along time. 0.02C

Last edited by Ramp; 06-30-2012 at 11:15 PM.
Old 06-30-2012, 09:03 PM
Coy Gillenwater
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so if I am looking for a mid 80s 911 widebody -- then I want to look for a factory widebody...
Old 06-30-2012, 09:48 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

...or basically a turbo .. the classic mid 80s widebody if i ever saw it ..
Old 06-30-2012, 10:30 PM
Shannon123
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Coy Gillenwater
so if I am looking for a mid 80s 911 widebody -- then I want to look for a factory widebody...
Mine is an after-market widebody........outside of that its completly stock. I wanted a widebody, but did not want to pay the premium of a factory widebody or turbo since my only desire was to buy and drive the car......not race nor a garage queen.

I went into the deal knowing when/if I sold, it would be a smaller market for my car than completly stock.

I think what would make the market even smaller for the one you gave us the link to is that its an 84 made to look like an entirely different year model and futhermore a spoiler thats something different.

If you like it....you like it and if you drive the wheels off if it really makes no difference in the end.....just know if you sold it, it could be a significantly smaller market.

Last edited by Shannon123; 06-30-2012 at 11:09 PM.
Old 06-30-2012, 11:07 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

That car looks like it just blew in from the '80's. What do you want-a 911, or the bling? If you want a 911 for its merit, I'd stick to stock cars. If I wanted a widebody, I'd get a 993 S model of some sort, or a 911 Turbo.
Old 07-04-2012, 01:55 AM
spanky
Rennlist Member

Received 715 Likes on 498 Posts

+ 1 an all the points made above. Its a nice looking car, If its well taken care of and the mods were done correctly and you like it , GET it. We all have our own likes and dislikes as to how a 911 should look. Buy it and drive the hell out of it. ENJOY!!!

Quick Reply: New to 911s -- Looking to buy