Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

1987 Cabriolet - Getting new home this week

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 05:15 PM
Ramp
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Just updated the pics - Took her out last night and this morning - so far I am very very happy with the condition this car is in - its in significantly better condition than I had hoped for in almost every respect ( so far !!) De-greased and then power washed the engine so I can keep an eye on any oil seepage.

I went through the maintenance history and typed out a list (if anyone is interested in seeing it) Although there are lapses, it's a relatively detailed list from new and gives me a very good understanding of what has and has not been done. I also started putting together a list of things to take care of - short term and long term - so please go easy on me as I post looking for help

Three immediate and DIY things to fix:

1. Back seats will not lock into the upright position - the pins (which look new) either won't fit in the hole (no comment ) or the hole and pin are not lining up.
2. The toggle switch for the mirrors works fine for the driverside but will only move the passenger side one way - going to remove the toggle and see if that's the issue.

3. Found out last night that the high beams keep coming on - either the switch needs to be replaced or adjusted - not sure if you can adjust it.

Back to driving !
Old 06-30-2012, 06:23 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramp
3. Found out last night that the high beams keep coming on - either the switch needs to be replaced or adjusted - not sure if you can adjust it.
Most likely your turn signal/high beam switch is shot. Easy DIY repair with plenty of documentation on line as to how to DIY.
Old 06-30-2012, 07:01 PM
Ramp
Pro

Originally Posted by Jay H
Most likely your turn signal/high beam switch is shot. Easy DIY repair with plenty of documentation on line as to how to DIY.
Yep - was annoying last night - it goes on/off as you drive - people must have thought I was flashing them to get out of the way.
Old 06-30-2012, 09:52 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

Hey Ramp i actually posted a turn signal switch repair thread a few years ago so do a search under my name .. it may still have the pics of the internals..

..and when you fix it spend the 25 bucks and put the relay kit in .. made by jwest or sucro sp? some of the guys have done it and can chime in.
Old 06-30-2012, 10:51 PM
irobertson
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Ramp, welcome and congrats. That is a great looking car!

There was one thing I noticed in your pics. You have the same black discolouration on your gas tank by your battery as I have on mine.
Mine was due to a battery leak, (well more of an outgassing really).
I would check the area under the battery to see if there is any evidence of a leak in the past.
It's not uncommon for these cars to cook the battery when the voltage regulator goes.

The only other book I would recommend is Wayne's 101 Projects book.
Lots of nice how to's from super simple things, all the way up to more major items.
Enjoy!
Old 06-30-2012, 11:23 PM
Ramp
Pro

Will do the search for the high beam fix - thanks Iceman - What's the relay kit do ? [Edit: Never mind, found the thread - excellent ! - Thanks]

Started the mirror earlier today as I thought it may be a quicker fix - not sure yet. The driver side works fine in all four directions - the pass side works in 3 directions - odd - maybe the wire for the fourth direction is off ? But on the mirror or the switch ?? Will start with the switch since that's easier.

Irobertoson - thanks for the tip -

Will take a look under the battery tomorrow - wanted to remove all the trunk carpet tomorrow anyway and take pics and just get a baseline -i.e., no hidden issues. Thanks

I love small diy so this stuff is therapy !

Last edited by Ramp; 07-01-2012 at 06:01 AM.
Old 07-01-2012, 01:20 AM
98Vette
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is the EXACT car I am looking for! Looks great. Enjoy it!
Old 07-04-2012, 03:04 PM
whiteNSXs
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Congrats! What a beauty!
Steve
Old 07-04-2012, 04:47 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

My concern was with all the cracking on the wire covers. Didn't mean to disparage such a cool car. As you can see, I'm kinda fond of them.

....but I would take a serious look at that brake rotor shown. Yikes!!!
Old 07-04-2012, 07:02 PM
Ramp
Pro

Thanks for the compliments - so far no issues and am gaining in confidence on the car and the purchase. It looks like a significant amount of rubber (boots/tubes/etc) have been replaced over the years and are in great condition. Haven't had a chance to look at the suspension rubber/bearing yet.

Originally Posted by amber lamps
My concern was with all the cracking on the wire covers. Didn't mean to disparage such a cool car. As you can see, I'm kinda fond of them.

....but I would take a serious look at that brake rotor shown. Yikes!!!
No offense taken - ignition look good - cracking is limited to the rubber covers - but I will probably replace the wires anyway as its a good diy and some things should just be replaced after a while.

Rotor's are on the short list to check through and sort - at a minimum I'm going to replace the lines with steel braid and flush the fluid.

Converted to R134a today and behold the ac is now working (kinda) after 10 years of being off duty.

Quick Reply: 1987 Cabriolet - Getting new home this week