Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

1987 Cabriolet - Getting new home this week

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 07:42 AM
Ramp
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default EDIT - 1987 Cabriolet 3.2 - New Home (New Pics)

Thought I would revise now that she's mine.

Codes are: C02, 160, 220, 286, 248, 395
Attached Images              

Last edited by Ramp; 06-30-2012 at 05:02 PM.
Old 06-25-2012, 11:44 AM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 96 Posts

160 Radio "Charleston"
220 Locking differential
286 High intensity windscreen washer
395 Light metal wheels - forged
C02 Equipped with catalytic converter

Can't find anything for 248 though...

http://www.kindel.com/porsche/options/options.asp

Some oil seepage is very common on an older 911. There are many potential sources. Some of the more common include the oil return tubes, lower valve covers and engine oil cooler seals. Many of these are not terribly hard to address. With perseverance, it should be possible to address all the leaks.

The hardest part is often tracing the leak. A good first step is to thoroughly clean the motor and then see if you can spot where the oil is originating.
Old 06-25-2012, 11:51 AM
911 Crazy
SPAM addict
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Congrats!
Old 06-25-2012, 12:08 PM
Ramp
Pro

Thanks for the info - looking forward to this car for the summer- I also love to tinker so this should be a good car in that respect as well- as far as I can tell it only has a few minor issues to clean up

This was a total impulse surprise buy as I was actively looking for a 996 turbo- but came across this and the price, ownership, records, etc was just all right and the current owner gave me a lot of confidence in the car as it was evident that he has taken very good care of it for the last 10 years.

I think the best advice is to have the engine cleaned and then track down the leak and go from there.

Is bentley the best manual ? Where else should I be looking for diagrams and repair for DIY ?

Thanks
Old 06-25-2012, 05:58 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice,....enjoy her,..and this NG!

Bentley is good (a must),..Factory is better! Get Wayne's (PP) book on rebuilding,.....many books out there on top of these,....

Agreed,..clean well,..THEN look for those pesky leaks........easy fixes, I bet.

Fresh fluids,..right off the batt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BEST!

Doyle

BEST!

Doyle
Old 06-25-2012, 06:23 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Plug wires on that thing have been bad for a decade. Will also need distributor car and rotor before you wash the car or it is gonna sputter up a storm at start-up.
Old 06-27-2012, 03:03 PM
Ramp
Pro

Not sure why I need to change the wires and dist cap if not having any issues - are they known to be bad and if so what's the best replacement ?

Car is being delivered tonight and I'll probably degrease the underside over the weekend - not going to touch up top other than with a rag as its already pretty clean
Old 06-27-2012, 08:52 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramp
Not sure why I need to change the wires and dist cap if not having any issues - are they known to be bad and if so what's the best replacement ?

Car is being delivered tonight and I'll probably degrease the underside over the weekend - not going to touch up top other than with a rag as its already pretty clean
Amber lamps is probably stating the need for new cap and wires if one were to soak the motor down with water in order to clean it. If anything is aging and cracking, shorts may occur with the wires/cap, etc.

The ignition systems on these cars are very robust. If the car runs well, leave it alone for now. I change cap and rotor at every 15,000 mile service interval.

If you decide to do plug wires at some point, skip the Porsche ones due to the cost and buy a good OEM brand for quite a bit less. However, also skip the El'Cheapo wires too (ask me about that).
Old 06-28-2012, 03:07 AM
SPDADCT
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That looks like a really clean 87 Cabrio (G50), Congratulations and enjoy. I have had my 87 cab now for 14 years and it's one of the best cars ever built.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:34 AM
Ramp
Pro

Delivered last night. Cap and wires seem fine. I'm gonna drive her and then start making a list of things to take care of.
Old 06-28-2012, 10:32 AM
Montrealer
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WOW ! She is a real beauty Congrats and have fun !
Old 06-28-2012, 02:19 PM
Norske
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats. Looks very nice. As a note of caution, always use the boot when driving with the top down. If you don't the wind will rip the headliner of the top. Enjoy!
Old 06-28-2012, 05:35 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What oil leaks?

My $.02 is with your first order be sure to include a spare DME Relay. +1 Stay away from the El Cheapo parts.

I also subscribe to the if it ain't broke then don't fix it theory. But one good thing about changing parts is that you'll have a baseline of known age. I would probably not start with ignition components right away. I'd look at brake components including hoses, pads, fluid. Expect some things like alternator, belts, starter, tires, etc to go out if you press the car into service. These are NORMAL wear items. Oil leaks are usually the oil pressure switch, thermostat o-rings, and oil return tubes. These are easy to fix. At the next oil change, adjust the valves, check the bearing (front) adjustment and re-pack if necessary. You might have the brake fluid flushed.
Old 06-28-2012, 10:41 PM
Ramp
Pro

Awesome - thanks for the info and compliments. Took the car for the first drive today - alone - about 20 minutes just to get familiar. Making mental lists on issues to read up on. Overall I'm very happy with the car and transaction so far. I went through the records and this car has basically been sorted over the last 10 years and looks like it was well cared for from birth. Large laundry list of replacements over the years and regular oil changes.

Car also has full toolkit, air compressor and all original manuals with service stamps from Porsche through roughly 35k miles - then switched to independents. The binder also has awards from winning in 1st, 2nd and 3rd of the Early Porsche Street class of about 5 shows.

It all adds to the car.

Ordered the Bentley Manual from Pelican

Over the weekend I'm going to take some really good detailed pics of the mechanicals (is that a word) and will post.
Old 06-29-2012, 08:01 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

Nice car.
I'd just drive it for a bit. Do the sweat the oil leaks for now. It the end of the world

Quick Reply: 1987 Cabriolet - Getting new home this week