Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

SC Noise - Bearing, CV, or something worse?!

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 04:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question SC Noise - Bearing, CV, or something worse?!

Hi. I took my '81 SC out for a drive yesterday afternoon, and noticed it sometimes (but not always...) makes a peculiar medium frequency squealing/whirring noise from the back end. It's most noticeable at low speed while going up a slight incline with only a little throttle, goes away when the brakes (both normal & emergency) are put on, and is there regardless of which gear is being used. I can 'sense' a relatively high frequency vibration through the steering wheel (at highway speeds) when hearing the noise. It seemed to be especially bad when I turned hard right at slow speed, going up the small incline into my garage.
I have to confess to using the car only infrequently (having clocked up about 200 miles in the last 12 months), and I know I should use it much more - I promise to do exactly that once I have this little issue resolved!
Anyway, I'm thinking it's most likely a constant velocity joint or a wheel bearing, and hoping it's not something in the differential. Am I on the right path?
I realize that trying to diagnose or suggest a solution to an issue when the primary symptom is a noise that you obviously can't hear over the internet isn't necessarily easy, so any suggestions offered will be most appreciated, thank you.

Last edited by Age; 06-25-2012 at 04:57 AM. Reason: forgot to add a question, thanks.
Old 06-26-2012, 12:01 AM
oneblueyedog
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rear wheel bearing possibly. If cv really attend to it. My wheel bearings whined when turning at 220k replaced them and made a nice ride again. If you repack or replace your cvs, use new bolts an Schnorr washers. Torque and recheck at 500 mi.
Old 06-26-2012, 12:34 AM
Shannon123
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wheel bearing check may be as simple as jacking up the rear of car and wiggling the wheel.....any play and thats probably your issue. I'm sure others will chime in.

Not a P-car....but you get the idea.

Quick Reply: SC Noise - Bearing, CV, or something worse?!