Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

1987 G50 911 coupe help!?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 10:23 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

That thing is pretty rough. Tool kit looks cobbled together and incomplete as well. Go price one of those...
Old 06-22-2012, 01:04 AM
Amochosto
Instructor

Received 118 Likes on 57 Posts

There's a picture in the trunk next to the "smugglers box" that shows a VIN plate. The VIN starts with WPOZZZ indicating it is a European spec model it has likely been federalized to US regulations and the books I've read state you should avoid federalized european models because you have no idea who did the work on them and how well it was done.

Having just bought a Euro spec car in Canada (thank goodness we can just import them without federalizing them) It is possible The car was delivered with Phone dial wheels which were common in Europe thus no Fuchs. Mine came with phone dial wheels.

Good luck with your search, based on what the guys above who seem to know what they are talking about and the possibility that this was a federalized car, I would not be interested.
Old 06-22-2012, 02:16 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Amochosto
There's a picture in the trunk next to the "smugglers box" that shows a VIN plate. The VIN starts with WPOZZZ indicating it is a European spec model it has likely been federalized to US regulations and the books I've read state you should avoid federalized european models because you have no idea who did the work on them and how well it was done.

Having just bought a Euro spec car in Canada (thank goodness we can just import them without federalizing them) It is possible The car was delivered with Phone dial wheels which were common in Europe thus no Fuchs. Mine came with phone dial wheels.

Good luck with your search, based on what the guys above who seem to know what they are talking about and the possibility that this was a federalized car, I would not be interested.
WPOZZZ....... is stamped several places on all the cars regardless of destination. It isn't until the car is bound for a specific market that the VIN is assigned and affixed to the A-pillar.
Old 06-22-2012, 01:38 PM
Joe6pack
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think that BBS RS wheels were also available as an option (dealer?). That's what I've got, but I do not know if they are original.
Old 06-22-2012, 09:42 PM
Amochosto
Instructor

Received 118 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by amber lamps
WPOZZZ....... is stamped several places on all the cars regardless of destination. It isn't until the car is bound for a specific market that the VIN is assigned and affixed to the A-pillar.
No need to bang your head pal, but thanks for giving a newbie a bit of information.
Old 06-22-2012, 10:39 PM
TheMystro
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

That's a nice interior color.

Quick Reply: 1987 G50 911 coupe help!?