Books suggestions ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 02:48 PM
Montrealer
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Books suggestions ?

Me again,

Being new to 911s, I'd like to get a couple of nice books about that iconic car.

I have already read ''The used 911 story'', wich is full of very valuable infos, but kinda dull in terms of presentation.

I've seen tons on Amazon, but I'd like a nice one, specific to the Carrera or at least to the 911. Is there a bible about this car that every owner must have ?

Oh...and glossy pictures are always a plus for selling this crazy idea of me wanting a Porsche to my better half

Thanks guys !
Old 06-15-2012, 03:57 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There are some basic books, such as the Bruce Anderson 911 Performance Handbook, and Paul Frere's excellent book, Porsche 911 Story. Beyond that, invest in a service manual for your 911. You may look at the various books on individual models, racing cars, or the historic books that document the Porsche company. Porsche, Excellence Was Expected by Karl Ludvigsen comes to mind. There was also a Buyer's and Restorers Guide a while back. I have to think about who was the author.
Old 06-16-2012, 12:30 AM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 98 Posts

Peter Morgan: "Original Porsche 911" is my favorite of my many 911 books.
Old 06-16-2012, 08:26 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 812 Posts

There are probably more books for this Marque than for anuy other so this thread could go on forever. Iam with Rusnack and would suggest you wait till you buy it and make "101 projects " and the Bentley your first book investments
Old 06-16-2012, 03:49 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Rusnak's short list is all you will ever need. I could not suggest anything other than (as for the glossy pictures): the various compilations from Randy Leffingwell. I like his photos. He's pretty good at capturing the cars at the perfect angles. Also, his subjects are not altogether show cars or exotic one-off special order types (he does usually document these too), but he chooses nice cars that look like they are drivers having been owned and cared for, but it's easy to spot a few rock chips and other imperfections. He's not ashamed to represent cars like the rest of us own. As for the historical documentation and technical info, you will find that in great detail in the bocks that Rus suggested.
Excellence Was Expected is the pinnacle of Porsche books and not cheap. I strongly suggest that one after you pick up a good example of the model 911 you're after. Also, after you procure a 911, the technical manuals are a must (and probably a few tools if you are inclined to do some of your own wrenching). but if you ask nicely here on Rennlist, a fellow member will provide the factory workshop manuals, or at least the pertinent chapters you are needing reference to.
The search for a good 911 can be a long one, and arguably one of the most enjoyable stages of ownership if you go into it well informed. There are lots of archives here on Rennlist for choosing and shopping. I may suggest at this point buying a R-list membership when you become dedicated to the search and realize the benefit of the collective knowledge here.
As for the better half, look into the Porsche owners' community in your area - I think you will find a wonderful cross section of people with social activities benefiting the entire family.
Good luck.
Old 06-16-2012, 05:21 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 500_19B
Peter Morgan: "Original Porsche 911" is my favorite of my many 911 books.
At my bedside.

"Perfection by Design" by Randy Leffingwell is pure ****.
Old 06-17-2012, 05:23 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ah, yes. Randy Leffingwell's books are the stuff Porsche dreams are narrated by.

Quick Reply: Books suggestions ?