Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

G-50 trans

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 12:58 PM
bobaines
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

...and what Peter said about a 915 also applies to a 901.
Old 06-13-2012, 02:51 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Red face

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
The thing is, your statement above is not what you stated originally. As I mentioned, speaking of comprehension, it was the "GREAT improvement" comment that got me. That simply is not true. But, you do tend to add a bit of "drama" to your posts.

I stand by my comments as well, so we're all in unison there.
Gosh Ed...you really tire me now....

Not only was it just "an improvement",..it was also a great improvement,..a thoughtful improvement....a wonderful improvement,...pretty-good improvement,..and on and on and on. I think these to be true (still).

Yeap, we're in unison alright,....in that we disagree on adjectives....

I see no frikin drama anywhere, slick. You must be kiddin', right?

But I do sense a resident curmudgeon ( )

Anywaze,..back point, hopefully.

Anybody know what it costs to yank out a G50 and install a 915?

Best to all,

Doyle
Old 06-13-2012, 03:13 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Read one of your typical posts/threads...
Old 06-13-2012, 05:10 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Thanks, Edward,..I knew I could count on you. I apprecciate your comments,..as "always".

I'll read mine if you read yours'?

On a much more constructive note, just found this Edmunds' article and wanted to share it with the group. I'll leave it up to the "real" mechanics here to assess it's accuracies,..just something to read, particulalrly for those who are learning.

http://blogs.insideline.com/roadtest...ion-files.html

Jonathon's reference in the Pure911 edition number is a good read, for sure.

And, Pete (who knows these trannies seriously, thanks for your posts (as always)

((((((((((((((Sure hope that wasn't too much drama for anyone [other than Edwardo] ))))))))))))))))))))))

Happy shopping, abarthguy !!!!!!

Doyle
Old 06-13-2012, 08:04 PM
jackb911
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 56 Posts

These 915 vs. G50 conversations always amuse me.

My take, FWIW...

Fact: The vast majority of 915 proponents on Porsche forums are those who currently own or have owned one.

Fact: There is nothing really wrong with a 915. The gear ratios are a bit better (lower) than those in a G50 and it is a lighter weight transmission. Therefore a 915 car may be a bit quicker than a G50. With that said, both of my totally stock 964 RS Americas would blow the doors off my supposedly quicker 993.

Fact: The G50 was introduced as it was more robust than the 915 with a higher torque capacity.

Fact: The G50's hydraulic clutch is a more modern setup and most consider it an improvement.

Fact: I've owned 911's with 901, 915 and G50 transmissions. The G50 shifts markedly better than the other two. That may explain why there are fewer aftermarket shifter conversions for the G50.

Fact: If I were going to spend $20K plus on a used Carrera, I'd limit my search to G50 cars UNLESS the '84-86 was a spectacular, pristine example or something really special like a M491.

Fact: Internet forums are full of self-proclaimed experts and people with differing opinions. We all like what we like. That is not necessarily a bad thing.

And I don't care if anyone agrees/disagrees with the above observations which are based on over 40 years of Porsche ownership. That's a fact.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:07 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Wink

Originally Posted by jackb911

My take, FWIW...

Fact: The vast majority of 915 proponents on Porsche forums are those who currently own or have owned one.

Fact: There is nothing really wrong with a 915. The gear ratios are a bit better (lower) than those in a G50 and it is a lighter weight transmission. Therefore a 915 car may be a bit quicker than a G50. With that said, both of my totally stock 964 RS Americas would blow the doors off my supposedly quicker 993.

Fact: The G50 was introduced as it was more robust than the 915 with a higher torque capacity.

Fact: The G50's hydraulic clutch is a more modern setup and most consider it an improvement.

Fact: I've owned 911's with 901, 915 and G50 transmissions. The G50 shifts markedly better than the other two. That may explain why there are fewer aftermarket shifter conversions for the G50.

Fact: If I were going to spend $20K plus on a used Carrera, I'd limit my search to G50 cars UNLESS the '84-86 was a spectacular, pristine example or something really special like a M491.

Fact: Internet forums are full of self-proclaimed experts and people with differing opinions. We all like what we like. That is not necessarily a bad thing.

And I don't care if anyone agrees/disagrees with the above observations which are based on over 40 years of Porsche ownership. That's a fact.
,..and I couldn't agree more with that observation/commentary.

BEST!

Doyle
Old 06-13-2012, 08:31 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Sure, you offer some facts, but it also bears noting the 915 can take a lot more power/tq than what an 89 3.2 puts out, so unless someone is building a monster, that doesn't have a lot of weight here. It also bears noting the simplicity of the 915 clutch is favored by many over the hydraulic version.

Fact, I own a G50, and have driven several others, and none shifted markedly better than my old 915. Is it smoother, yes? Is it a huge improvement? No. YMMV, as do your preferences in what a car drives and feels like.

Fact-that is your call on what to spend your $20K on. Personally, I'd not limit myself to 87-89 Carreras, and that has always been my counsel. I also find no attraction to the M491, but I know some do, as evidenced by sell prices. As time goes on, and quality Carreras become harder to find, the wisdom of not limiting one's search may become more important in finding a good car.

I'll always remember when Amar first came on here looking for a G50, and me offering this advice via a "challenge". I doubt there is a happier and more proud 911 owner on here, when it comes to his '86, so I think it is not unjust advice.

I don't consider myself an expert, although I've worked on, poked and prodded around 911's more than most owners here have or ever will. But, I do have my opinion, as do we all.

Originally Posted by jackb911

My take, FWIW...

Old 06-13-2012, 11:08 PM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by dshepp806
..just something to read, particularly for those who are learning.

http://blogs.insideline.com/roadtest...ion-files.html
Thanks for the link - cool post!

... I doubt there is a happier and more proud 911 owner on here, when it comes to his '86....
I challenge that statement - sorry w00t, but I may be just as happy and proud

I think my synchros are going... I hear a "chirp" going up into 3rd if I don't take my time (and then I yell at myself for rushing the shift), and can't shift into 1st unless almost stopped. The plus side of bad synchros is that your gearbox tells you (via a very ugly grinding noise) if you're trying to put it into the wrong gear! All other shifting (even 2nd for the most part) is smooth as silk, especially down from 4th to 3rd... oh how I love that shift! And the "suction" of the gear into place when matching revs perfectly going down into 2nd is likely one of the greatest feelings in the world.... it's a gearbox that involves the driver like no other I've driven, and it rewards the driver equally.

A local Rennlister put it best (I paraphrase) "you are not simply driving a car, you are operating machinery - embrace this and you will enjoy every minute".

Vroom vroom. Happy operating!

Last edited by porsche0nut; 06-13-2012 at 11:23 PM.
Old 06-13-2012, 11:17 PM
TheMystro
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have owned two mid 80's 911s with the 915. I completely had one rebuilt by my Porsche dealer. It was as good as that tranny would ever be and it was still tempramental. The throw was very long and gear changes required a careful touch going from 2nd to 1st. My current 911 has the G50 and it is light years better in every way. It shifts from 2nd to 1st easily while moving and the throw is much more precise and shorter. I can't believe there is even a argument comparing the 915 to the G50.
Old 06-13-2012, 11:24 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,966 Likes on 2,938 Posts

915 w/short shift kit is a nice set up - if you want smooth as silk, buy a 996
Old 06-13-2012, 11:24 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

I guess I must've had a magic 915 with 140k on it. But, I suspect it is as Peter stated-boxes with a lot of miles not getting proper repairs by people who know what they're doing.
Old 06-13-2012, 11:38 PM
bobaines
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMystro
I have owned two mid 80's 911s with the 915. I completely had one rebuilt by my Porsche dealer. It was as good as that tranny would ever be and it was still tempramental. The throw was very long and gear changes required a careful touch going from 2nd to 1st.
Sorry to hear about your experience, but I think that is more a comment on your local dealer than the 915.
Old 06-13-2012, 11:42 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

I guess I must've had a magic 915 with 140k on it. But, I suspect it is as Peter stated-boxes with a lot of miles not getting proper repairs by people who know what they're doing.
when you say "magic" if you are referring to original syncros & sleeves that would be nothing short of magic.

your tansmission has had to have been split at some point along its life - usually at the 70-80K mark - all 1st gear syncros go bad by that point.
Old 06-13-2012, 11:44 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bobaines
Sorry to hear about your experience, but I think that is more a comment on your local dealer than the 915.
were the shift bushings freshened when you had the tranny rebuilt?? - that is a common issue with the 915 - bad bushings = crappy throw
Old 06-14-2012, 01:36 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by groovzilla
when you say "magic" if you are referring to original syncros & sleeves that would be nothing short of magic.

your tansmission has had to have been split at some point along its life - usually at the 70-80K mark - all 1st gear syncros go bad by that point.
No, it had never been apart, which is not unheard of. It all depends on how they are treated.

Quick Reply: G-50 trans