Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Help! O2 sensor stripped and seized

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 08:31 PM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
if its moviing now can you get the big *** vice grips back on it ? the disadvantage of a pipe wrench is you can only go one way without reconfiguring ,.
i would put the vice grips back on and just work it back and forth in one spot for abut 10 minutes, then you should slowly begin to increase how much your back and forth motion will cover and keep spraying . remember all the threads move when you do this and it will loosen up . then you can remove it ..

and having a working cat on the shelf with an O2 sensor in it is never a bad thing ..

Btw which bypass did you get ?
Ordered the cheap bypass you linked me to, and the gaskets/hardware from Pelican.

I plan to upgrade to SSI's/sport exhaust next summer or the year after so I didn't want to spend $300 on an M&K bypass pipe, although their products look fantastic and I'll definitely consider them when it comes time to do a complete upgrade!

Originally Posted by dshepp806
Been reading this thread,..(cringing),..feeling a bit guilty at my recent successful endeavors on my O2 sensor changeout on my '89. For some weird reason, the service history documents never showed this part as being replaced (hard to believe, actually).So, I decided that it was time.

2 days prior, I soaked that puppy with Kroil X3 times...come time to do the deed, she came off with ease,..making use of an open-ended wrench,..the sensor had plenty of anti-seize on it, surely a graceful gesture from the person who was in there last. Hell,..even the grommet went in without too much fuss.

"Rubbing it in" aside,...

You may consider getting it to a muffler shop. Those guys can make it happen real quick.....sure sounds like you're right about the need to tack weld something to it....

Sorry to hear of this trial,...WOW,...I (vicariously) feel your pain.......soon, the triumph will come,..and it will be a great story!

Best!

Doyle
Doyle, thanks for the reply and I'm happy that you're getting some enjoyment out of my pain!

In all honesty, I'm having fun while doing it, and I love a good challenge. To be working on my Porsche 911 is an absolute dream come true - and to learn that she is just as stubborn as I am brings a sly smile to my face as I work!

Fantastic that yours came out so nicely, I will definitely be using some anti-seize when the new sensor goes back in!

Now, that your grommet went in easily brings a stab of jealousy........ I wasn't going to admit this but the sliced-open finger wasn't trying to take the O2 sensor off, it was the result of a struggle to put the stupid grommet back in! Nothing a couldn't solve!

PS: I went trigger-happy on parts ordering today... figured while I'm paying for shipping I might as well get a few things. It's too easy to click "buy" when shopping online!

-new ignition wires & spacers, distributor cap, ignition rotor (plugs I can get locally I'm sure)
-valve cover gasket kit for my future adjustment, plus a valve feeler guage
-oil drain plug seals & new oil filter
-mahle fuel filter

She's going to be one happy car!
Old 05-31-2012, 01:52 PM
Bahama
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Hi Jonathan, Sorry to hear about your woes in getting the sensor out. Seriously, while you're wiping the blood off your fingers you need to check out the movie "Christine"...
Thanks for sharing though, and it's good to see that you are getting to a resolution.
Old 05-31-2012, 09:04 PM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Originally Posted by Bahama
Hi Jonathan, Sorry to hear about your woes in getting the sensor out. Seriously, while you're wiping the blood off your fingers you need to check out the movie "Christine"...
Thanks for sharing though, and it's good to see that you are getting to a resolution.
Thanks Glenn, it's an adventure!

Christine is downloading as I type. (I know, I shouldn't be typing I should be in the garage...)
Old 06-01-2012, 02:59 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,104 Likes on 789 Posts

Originally Posted by porsche0nut
Thanks Glenn, it's an adventure!

Christine is downloading as I type. (I know, I shouldn't be typing I should be in the garage...)
....noooo.... you shouldnt be downloading ! ...
Old 09-30-2012, 12:10 AM
asiangem
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This may help you even though this is an old post - My tech friend was able to remove the Air Fuel Sensor (similar to the oxygen sensor) located on the Manifold of the 1999 Toyota Camry V6 which was in Bank 2. You can imagine how tight the space was. It seems that the factory worker stripped the threads on the air fuel Sensor and he could not remove it and it seized up.

At first, he used the regular way just starting up for 3 minutes so that the engine could get hot, and try to remove it with the air fuel Sensor removal socket but it would only turn for 1/2 turn before seizing up.

Then we went to Autozone and got PB Blaster, then cut it off the tail end of the old air fuel sensor so that could use the socket nut 22mm, also used a 22mm wrench with metal pole inserted to give more leverage. Then finally the nut became round and could not use the 22mm wrench. It only turned for 2 turns, then the last two turns we used a hammer and hit it with a wood piece to break it up away. Then used the 18 mm thread chaser to re-do the threads. The new air fuel sensor easily was installed.

There are photos to show the the old air fuel sensor had completely no threads on it plus all the equipment that was used in "Toyotanation" website under Asiangem in my gallery photo page which you can access.

Save $$$ from having to replace the manifold. It took over 3 days of first trying to figure out what to do, but then 2 days of slowly working on it; almost gave up but then a little prayer (don't laugh but it seemed to help at the end cause that's when the air fuel sensor immediately came out after I prayed) for my Tech friend to get it out.

Alex is the Tech of the Month!!! Unbelievable that he was able to get it out.

Last edited by asiangem; 09-30-2012 at 12:11 AM. Reason: needed to correct some notes
Old 09-30-2012, 12:30 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

A- I'd imagine this issue was resolved by now.
B- I doubt anyone here goes to "Toyotanation".
Old 09-30-2012, 09:58 AM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Originally Posted by asiangem
...almost gave up but then a little prayer (don't laugh but it seemed to help at the end cause that's when the air fuel sensor immediately came out after I prayed) for my Tech friend to get it out.
It was definitely the prayer that did it. I tried that but I got an error message... something about the host server not responding??

Thanks for the reply... the problem has long since been resolved with a cat bypass and new O2 sensor. Guess I was too busy driving to post a conclusion!

Quick Reply: Help! O2 sensor stripped and seized