Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Help! O2 sensor stripped and seized

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 09:45 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

I love it when I get the chance to fire the torch up!
Old 05-29-2012, 11:08 PM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Heat, wrench, heat, wrench.... to a point where the wrenches could no longer grip the sensor due to so much material wear! Learned a lot though and had fun working on it. Could have used a bigger torch.

I figure even if I micaculously am able to keep going and get this out, the threads are going to be absolutely destroyed and I won't get the new sensor in. So I decided that I'm ordering the M&K cat bypass pipe (and gaskets) and getting a local Porsche expert to install it for me. My new O2 sensor should screw nicely into that!

So since there was a hole where the ceramic portion of the sensor used to be, I used some JB weld and a washer to create a stop, and then an upside-down cap screw to plug the washer hole. Covered it in JB weld and it should cure overnight to plug that hole until I can get the new pipe in!

Pics, for fun:

.... I might have gone overkill on the JB weld....
Attached Images        
Old 05-29-2012, 11:16 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,115 Likes on 797 Posts

it was coming out i would have kept going .. BTW you need a real torch .. all that thing is good for is cooking marshmallows.
Old 05-29-2012, 11:30 PM
porsche0nut
Race Car

You don't think the threads would have been destroyed by the time it came out?

Yes, a real torch would have helped.... but I made do with what I had.

Any opinions on the M&K cat bypass? I like it because the O2 sensor bung is after the collector, unlike many other aftermarket units. I PM'd caferacer as I know he was looking to get rid of his - haven't heard a response yet.
Old 05-29-2012, 11:40 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mapp gas is better but you need to be careful not to get carried away.

Edit: One last resort would be to get the cat out, and put it on it's side, then cut the old bung out as cleanly as possible, like with a cutoff wheel on an angle grinder. Then you can weld in a new bung and install a fresh O2 sensor. I would not try to run for an extended period of time without the O2 sensor.

Last edited by rusnak; 05-30-2012 at 12:31 AM.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:24 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

no i actually think the thread would have been okay .. worse case run a tap through .. .
Old 05-30-2012, 01:20 PM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Originally Posted by rusnak
Mapp gas is better but you need to be careful not to get carried away.

Edit: One last resort would be to get the cat out, and put it on it's side, then cut the old bung out as cleanly as possible, like with a cutoff wheel on an angle grinder. Then you can weld in a new bung and install a fresh O2 sensor. I would not try to run for an extended period of time without the O2 sensor.
Why not run without sensor? Doesn't it just run rich? What will be affected?
Old 05-30-2012, 01:36 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

the cat for starters .. if you care that is .. when you run rich the cat will have to work hard as unburnt fuel may be being dumped in . it will get super hot ...

fuel economy would sufer also i imagine
Old 05-30-2012, 02:51 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by porsche0nut
Why not run without sensor? Doesn't it just run rich? What will be affected?
For the longest time, years actually, I thought the same thing. I've read that there is a default map that the dme will read from, and that would make the dme run a rich setting for safety.

The reality was posted by Ingo (Ischmitz) over on Pelican. He has spent years and years going through the dme chips, and understanding the circuitry on the dme board. He rebuilds them, tests them, and I know very few people who have more knowledge AND are WILLING TO SHARE IT.

He explained that the 3.2 911 early Motronic does not have a routine that checks to make sure the O2 sensor is plugged in. If it's not present, the dme does not know this and sends erroneous pulses to the injectors, based on a false reading from the O2 sensor wires. Stray voltage and no voltage can make the dme operate rich, or lean. You are sort of at the mercy of the dme's ability to swing the mixture either direction, and whatever stray voltage is nearby.
Old 05-30-2012, 05:50 PM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Not fun.... The new pipe will be here ASAP but I have to wait for the gaskets and hardware.

Maybe I keep working at removal in the meantime.... Damnit I hate when shipping holds me up.
Old 05-30-2012, 05:56 PM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Originally Posted by rusnak
For the longest time, years actually, I thought the same thing. I've read that there is a default map that the dme will read from, and that would make the dme run a rich setting for safety.

The reality was posted by Ingo (Ischmitz) over on Pelican. He has spent years and years going through the dme chips, and understanding the circuitry on the dme board. He rebuilds them, tests them, and I know very few people who have more knowledge AND are WILLING TO SHARE IT.

He explained that the 3.2 911 early Motronic does not have a routine that checks to make sure the O2 sensor is plugged in. If it's not present, the dme does not know this and sends erroneous pulses to the injectors, based on a false reading from the O2 sensor wires. Stray voltage and no voltage can make the dme operate rich, or lean. You are sort of at the mercy of the dme's ability to swing the mixture either direction, and whatever stray voltage is nearby.
Interesting, I'll do a searh on PP and read up more.

If its only sending random signals to the injectors I feel te engine can probably deal with rich or lean settings for the short term. I'm guessing a faulty O2 sensor would yield the same results as the signal would be incorrect (unless a bad O2 sensor sends a constant "bad" signal that tells the DME to run a certain way).

If it sends erroneous signals to the spark plugs that's another issue.... I could see pre-detonation being a potential problem.. EDIT: this doesn't make sense, the O2 sensor readings should have zero effect on spark timing.
Old 05-30-2012, 05:59 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

yes Jonathan keep working at it .. if it is moving just spray and work back and forth .. it will come out .. once you remove the cat from the car it will be allmost impossible to remove as you have no way to hold it steady .. so get back under there and get wrenching..
Old 05-30-2012, 06:04 PM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Originally Posted by theiceman
yes Jonathan keep working at it .. if it is moving just spray and work back and forth .. it will come out .. once you remove the cat from the car it will be allmost impossible to remove as you have no way to hold it steady .. so get back under there and get wrenching..
Once I remove the cat from the car though, I'll be putting a bypass pipe and new O2 sensor in

It moves about 1/5 rotation every half hour. Hopefully this rate increases tonight with round 3!?

Any other recommendations for gripping it? Even the pipe wrench is slipping now that it's become so rounded off. I really need to weld something to it....
Old 05-30-2012, 06:09 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

if its moviing now can you get the big *** vice grips back on it ? the disadvantage of a pipe wrench is you can only go one way without reconfiguring ,.
i would put the vice grips back on and just work it back and forth in one spot for abut 10 minutes, then you should slowly begin to increase how much your back and forth motion will cover and keep spraying . remember all the threads move when you do this and it will loosen up . then you can remove it ..

and having a working cat on the shelf with an O2 sensor in it is never a bad thing ..

Btw which bypass did you get ?
Old 05-30-2012, 06:38 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Been reading this thread,..(cringing),..feeling a bit guilty at my recent successful endeavors on my O2 sensor changeout on my '89. For some weird reason, the service history documents never showed this part as being replaced (hard to believe, actually).So, I decided that it was time.

2 days prior, I soaked that puppy with Kroil X3 times...come time to do the deed, she came off with ease,..making use of an open-ended wrench,..the sensor had plenty of anti-seize on it, surely a graceful gesture from the person who was in there last. Hell,..even the grommet went in without too much fuss.

"Rubbing it in" aside,...

You may consider getting it to a muffler shop. Those guys can make it happen real quick.....sure sounds like you're right about the need to tack weld something to it....

Sorry to hear of this trial,...WOW,...I (vicariously) feel your pain.......soon, the triumph will come,..and it will be a great story!

Best!

Doyle

Quick Reply: Help! O2 sensor stripped and seized