front mounted carrera oil cooler = big temp difference

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 08:31 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,896 Likes on 2,892 Posts
Default front mounted carrera oil cooler = big temp difference

all,

got back from my 911 road trip a few days ago - had a great time. in the past when i've driven the mountain roads i've always made mental notes on oil temp.

in my past experiences cruising the mountain roads, my previous 911sc that i owned several years ago with stock oil cooling would always register oil temp about 1/2 way (9:00 position)and sometimes creep up a bit higher on longer steep pulls.

my current car has the front mounted oil cooler and this was my first shakedown run - cruising the mountains never once did the oil temp rise above the white zone. i was really satisfied to see the cooler do such a great job.
Old 05-13-2012, 12:13 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,116 Likes on 798 Posts

That would be a pretty cool DIY project if i could get the donor parts.Not sure i need it here in Canada. Well in fact i know I dont. Looking for a new project though and i dont feel competant enough to reindex torsion bars.

Anyone done the oil cooler upgrade for themselves ?
Old 05-13-2012, 02:02 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

it would be great to be able to route 356 oil cooling outside of the fan housing box - the upgraded aluminium coolers are somewhat effective but nothing like ability to bring the oil to the front of the car.

wonder if anyone like gary emory has ever experimented with a front mounted 356 cooler?
Old 05-13-2012, 02:05 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by theiceman
That would be a pretty cool DIY project if i could get the donor parts.Not sure i need it here in Canada. Well in fact i know I dont. Looking for a new project though and i dont feel competant enough to reindex torsion bars.

Anyone done the oil cooler upgrade for themselves ?
heres a start:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/PORSCHE-911-...ht_4825wt_1398
Old 05-13-2012, 02:32 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

also, when i get time i can take photos of the coller location and connections if thats any help.

if you have the 101 porsche projects book the install is documented in the book and that happens to be my car
Old 05-13-2012, 02:48 PM
Shannon123
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
Looking for a new project though and i dont feel competant enough to reindex torsion bars.
iceman.....IF I can re-index torsion bars (front and rear), anyone can do it. Frankly, you do not even need to take the torsion bar covers off to do the re-indexing. I would encourage you to attempt it. My first attempt left me with a really high setting....my second attempt left me with really low setting...then i REALLY understood the concept of re-indexing. Once I understood how the inner and outer splines worked, the challenge was over. A digital angle reader is really all you need to do this project.

Quick Reply: front mounted carrera oil cooler = big temp difference