Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Loose wire - '74 911

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 09:12 PM
Jurgen911
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loose wire - '74 911

New to me 1974 911. In the engine compartment, there is a wire bundle that exits the collection of relays behind a panel. There is a single black wire (decent gauge) that has a disconnect terminal (with an additional tab) that exits this bundle near the distributor. It is not attached and I don't know proper connection.
Vehicle runs fine, although a bit reluctant on cold starts. Thanks for any help!
Old 04-25-2012, 09:44 PM
masterdave
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Over the years and my experience with cars, I have always found that mystery wires in many cases are best left alone for the time being. Unless some thing is not working or the wire is sparking etc. I would for the time being leave it there. I doubt it was the case on the 74's but I know that some cars were made with extra wires. This was a result of Porsche using the same harness on cars weather or not they included certain options.

Electrical wires can be hard to trace as they tend to just go in to the harness some where. In many cases you may end up breaking or shorting some thing trying to fix this wire issue. If the car is running I say tape it off and forget about it for now.

Regards
Dave

Quick Reply: Loose wire - '74 911