911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Seat Brand Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2003 | 01:34 AM
Jim Florance
Instructor

I'm a pretty big guy, (6'3", 235lbs) Criteria was that the seats be comfortable, be a good support compromise between street and track, Hinged back (2small kids that have since grown out of the back seats any way) Leather covers, and light weight. Ended up w/ Cobra's. very comfortable, holds me firmly when on the track, and the leather has held up very well so far (2yrs). My chief complaint is the plastic hinge cover looks kind of cheesy. This problem has been remedied w/an optional billet aluminum coverplate that recently became available. I couldn't get my wife to sign off on the price tag of the Recaro's, otherwise I would have gone with them. I checked out all the other seats on your list,
Check them out, I think they are an exceptional value.
Old 03-18-2003 | 02:46 AM
Ed Bighi
Racer

Good question about the wife department Rick. I think this depends on the kind of wife a person has. Mine is pretty cool. Cool enough to take road trips with me in my stripped 911. This is a car with two race seats, no carpet, door panels, radio, ac or anything else to speak of that does not increase the performance of the car with the exception of paint. Maybe it is because I have had the car in this configuration since when we were dating 11 years ago. Taking trips in cars like this keeps people young. Especially on winding roads in the middle of nowhere. I wouldn't be married to anyone that offered any less. Needless to say, my marriage is bliss from her being so easy about these things.

On the subject of comfort, I find race seats to actually be quite cofortable over long periods. This is because they hold you in the perfect position and cradle your entire backside. The funny thing is if I have to take a 1 hour drive, I'll quickly reach for the track car. But I have to admit that to go two blocks to the grocery store, I usually grab my wife's Benz. This is not because of lack of comfort, but because my 911 takes forever to warm up and getting in and out takes a hair longer. But once you are sitting in the car, they are quite comfortable. Of course, this depends on the seat and your weight. My wife and I found the SPG Recaros good on the back, but on the tight side. They did break in after a while, but about 3 years ago I gave in and grabbed a set of Sparco EVO seats and she was much happier. They have more width which is great for trips. She tends to sleep just as hard on those as in the stock recliners. Maybe it is the drone of the very loud exhaust. The EVO's come in even larger sizes if required. Another very comfortable seat is the Recaro Pole Position. Though I don't know if I could hard mount those like I did my Sparcos.

Again, I drive my car daily since I don't have to sit in traffic. The only mild annoyance is getting in and out. If you mount them in a mildly reclined position, which I find very few people do, they can be quite confortable.
Old 03-18-2003 | 12:19 PM
Rick986
Intermediate

Ed, Your wife and car sound very cool. Your insights are very helpful.

My car still has A/C... a necessity when one lives in Memphis. It also has carpet, sound system and door panels. I have added a few trick items (SSI, Monty, turbo tie rods, club sport mounts,930s steering wheel..etc). My wife likes the new sound of the car and keeps asking what I did to make it faster. She suspects I did more than add the exhaust system.

The seats are the original (non sport) chocolate brown versions. They are fairly comfortable, but not supportive and the recline mechanism on the passenger side tends to slowly let the seat recline...making the passenger look like they are sitting in the back seat. My wife has experienced this and I am using it as an opportunity to update the seats.

We have sport seats in the BMW and she likes them except for getting in and out. Whenever I discuss updating the SC's seats she just rolls her eyes and says, why can't you just leave it alone. My answer is because I am obessed with the car... which only causes more eye rolling.

I ultimately want a car that will be a daily driver, but can be taken to a few DEs or AutoXs. So , I need the seats, then I need 9x16 fuchs for the rear, then a strut brace, then upgraded torsion bars, then adjustable sway bars, then...

Sorry, I got carried away.

-Rick

Quick Reply: Seat Brand Opinions