Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Torsion tube on '80 911sc cost

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2001, 07:02 PM
M.Stockton
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Torsion tube on '80 911sc cost

Well, I took my '80 SC to a local, rather reputable mechanic here. It turns out that the driver's side suspension is pulling out from the torsion tube up front and the passenger side is on its way. Bottom line is that the pan under the gas tank and, I am assuming, the tube need to be replaced as they have rusted. I was quoted at $400 for the parts (seems ok) and 20 hours of service at $90 an hour in order to take out the front suspension and to cut out and weld in a new pan. So, basically I am looking at about $2200-2500 when all is said and done. If all of the suspension, oil cooler, a/c fan and possibly the tank need to be removed, then I guess it will take a while, but I am a little shocked right now. Does this seem reasonable?

Thanks,
Mike
Old 06-20-2001, 07:21 PM
john walkers workshop
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the cost seems a bit high, but then, it's a nasty job. you might get a body shop estimate as their rates are lower. often just a piece can be welded in, as opposed to the whole pan. kind of unusual on a later galvanized car. there is no front torsion tube. just in the rear. the front torsion bars live in the a arms.

[ 06-20-2001: Message edited by: john walkers workshop ]

Quick Reply: Torsion tube on '80 911sc cost