Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Warning lights...

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2002, 05:22 PM
Kid
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Warning lights...

When I was out tonight and driving my old 911.

I shut off the car after 10 minutes of driving and my key was out of starter switch and the green and the red lights on the oil pressure/temperature gauge lighted up.

Still lighted when I was back in the car after 1 hour and I started the engine and let it run for some minutes and checking the oil level, near the max marking and pressure reads OK.

I think it´s a error in the electric system.
But the red light is for the alternator and charging circuit, the fan belt is OK.

The 911 is home in my carport and it´s not lighted up now but when I start the engine they lighted up.

The car is a 911 SC 1979 with about 100k miles in it.
In good condition and running strong, no flickering in headlights or so when the engine revs up.

Any suggestions?
Old 04-25-2002, 06:14 PM
Kid
Cruisin'

I was out for about 5 minutes with my girlfriend, we consulted 101 projects book and hwo we shall trobleshoot the alternator.

running 2000 rpm and reading the voltmeter.
It reads 11.8 V, with the engine off 12.1 V, I think the alternator just said good bye?.

Any suggestions?
Old 04-25-2002, 06:50 PM
Laurent
Intermediate

I would say your Alternator is going... you probobly read in your books ; you should have a strong 13V when your car is running, more than the usual 12.3V + or so of your battery.

The lights light up when the battery is supplying the power TO your car and not receiving FROM. Don't run too long like that, your battery could die on you.

You could go somewhere to have your alt and battery checked out to be sure... have your battery checked at least if you change your alt, they sometimes are the cause of failures and you wouln'd want to screw with a brand new one.

good luck!
Old 04-25-2002, 06:57 PM
Kid
Cruisin'

I just thoroghly readed the 101 projects book and i´ll find out a little more tomorrow, it´s 00:01 right now.

Some sleep and then I´ll try to find out more.

Thank you for your input.

Quick Reply: Warning lights...