Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Obscure cable routing question

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2002, 08:45 AM
glees
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Obscure cable routing question

I doubt whether anybody will know the answer to this, but if you don't ask...

The interior lights on my 3.2 don't work with the door switches. You can manually switch them on okay so there is power conection.

Tracing the wires from the door switches, there is a connection to the Porsche alarm connector behind the dash and another to the electic window controller, also behind the dash. Both of these points are earthed when the doors are opened. So far so good. If I take a wire from here directly to the brown/white wire on the interior light fitting then the lights work when the doors are opened.

So, there must obviously be a break in the wiring between one of these points and the interior lights fittings. The question is where is this wire routed? It's a brown and white wire that goes to the left hand interior light (I think). From the light fitting, the wire must go down either the windscreen piller, or the piller behind the door or the rear pillar and from there, forwards to the harness behind the dash. Without ripping the carpets and trim out I don't know where to start looking.

Anybody any ideas?

Many Thanks,
Gordon
'86 3.2 Carrera
Old 04-25-2002, 06:35 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Gordon, suggest you take the guess work out of the equation and obtain an 86 wiring diagram. It will save you a lot of problems. I had a rear wiper causing me similar type problems and found on the 88 Carrera there is a fuse in the circuit in the engine compartment that blew out. LOL.

Spider911
Old 04-28-2002, 09:11 AM
glees
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spider911,

I fixed it in the end (after removing the left hand seat, both front floor boards and footwell blower covers!). There is a connector above the headlining on the left hand side. You can just reach it through the big zip fastener at the rear of the headlining. I disconnected then reconnected this joint and the lights burst into life.

Incidentally, if anybody else out there has this problem, the cable is routed from the left hand interior light, back to where is branches off the cable to the sunroof motor and then back down the rear pillar into the engine bay. From there it takes the main cable route up to the front of the car, behind the dash.

-Gordon
'86 3.2.

Quick Reply: Obscure cable routing question