Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Noise: Right front shock

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2012 | 01:08 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

If you can get the bumper shock out, then you could run a dye and cut new threads into the bolt. You'd probably convert the threads to SAE with the same thread pitch. If you get that far, a good hardware store can set you up with the tools and parts.
Old 03-22-2012 | 01:21 PM
Shannon123
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rusnak
If you can get the bumper shock out, then you could run a dye and cut new threads into the bolt. You'd probably convert the threads to SAE with the same thread pitch. If you get that far, a good hardware store can set you up with the tools and parts.
Having been in the Offshore Hedge Fund Business for 20 years, this is an entirely NEW language to learn when talking about tools and working on cars. Had to look up tap and die to see what the heck you were talking about, BUT it seems like a perfect scenario for what I have. The bolt actually sticks out quite a ways, therefore, I'm thinking of trying your method by leaving the bumper shock in place and try and cut threads down far enough that I can get a 'thread grip' with a new nut and then use a few washers to fill the gap.

While I once felt like a blind man, my vision is becoming better with regards to this stuff.....just need a shove in the right direction.
Old 03-22-2012 | 11:26 PM
Shannon123
Burning Brakes

The die worked perfectly.......10 minute job and then got the bumper snugged up. 5 minutes was used putting the darn rubber back on the front bumper....sheesh, that was a challenge.

I had a slight wheel pull on the drivers side and decided I would attempt to FIX it. I adjusted the driver side caster a bit forward and the passenger side a bit back w/o moving the camber and BINGO, she drives straight. Now I will double check the camber and toe and hopefully they did not move much during the caster adjust.

The byproduct of the caster adjust is that the passenger side noise calmed a bit which gives me a bit of confidence that the buldged sway bar bushing on passenger side will be the final piece to the 'noise' resolution.

Thanks again for the ideas.
Old 03-23-2012 | 11:21 AM
Shannon123
Burning Brakes

And.....here is what the noise sounds like.

Old 03-23-2012 | 11:59 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

I love the persistence! And, I saw that you are learning not all bushings are created equal!
Old 03-23-2012 | 03:30 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

have you tried some lubricant on the old bushings? This is the way to diagnose bad bushings before replacement.
Old 03-23-2012 | 04:39 PM
Shannon123
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rusnak
have you tried some lubricant on the old bushings? This is the way to diagnose bad bushings before replacement.
I will try that out this weekend....nonetheless, correcting the drivers side steering pull (caster adjust) has quieted the noise significantly which in my non-mechanical, but common-sensical brain was a result of taking some tension off the right sway bar. One thing I did notice when correcting the caster angle is that both sides are NOT in the same position.....I suspect this can be attributed to partially failed sway bar bushing (3/8 inch play) as well as aging suspension parts. I'm hopeful that the new bushings will straighen things out a bit as well as correct my noise.

Quick Reply: Noise: Right front shock