Stuck in fith gear

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2001, 09:41 AM
jebia
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Stuck in fith gear

I just bought an 86 carrerra with 90k miles, which just had a recent major service and a new clutch kit put in. The car now has 91K miles.

Going into fifth gear is no problem, but once ever five times or so, when trying to shift down from fifth the shifter locks up. I have to use considerable force to get it out of fifth, pushing the clutch repeatedly doesn't help. If I pull on the shift lever hard enough it will come out, but I hear a popping noise from the tranny.

I'm thinking the clutch may need to be re-adjusted. Shifting to all other gears including reverse seems to work fine.

Thanks for any suggestions.

jon
Old 06-19-2001, 09:44 AM
jebia
Addict
Rennlist Member

I forgot to mention that the car is equipped with the factory short shift kit.

jon
Old 06-19-2001, 10:59 AM
R22tech
Advanced

Question

Sounds like the shift coupler may need adjustment. Hard to say w/o seeing it. If you would like to do an overall check of the easy stuff do this: Remove the cover on the tunnel in front of the rear seats(the hump)-it has carpet over it. 4 screws remove and then slide the rubber boot toward the shifter. The wishbone looking item is the shift coupler-check to see if the 2 bushhings are still there and are in good shape(they are round and black on bothe sides of the coup[ler). Also check under the console that contains the shifter-you will have to remove several screws including one hiddin under the carpet below the emergency brake handle. It takes a little manuevering to get it up and out of the way for you to take a peek. Inside you will see under the shifter inside the housing with a small flashlite the ball cup bushing(white) that the shift lever sits in and the rod bushing (probaly a greasy-white) on the shaft going toward the rear-it looks more like a sleeve bearing and should be secure in its' hole. If all of these pass the "these are all there and look good" test, then go to pelicanparts.com and look for the tech article on how to adjust the linkage-there is detailed info. about the shift coupler and how to adjust it properly.

It sounds like the coupler might be off by a click of the spline causing it to bind in the 5th gate. If this is so it would be easy to rotate the coupler 1 click clockwise and problem solved. Read the article a few times before attempting this if you are unfamiliar with all of which I said.
Old 06-19-2001, 02:56 PM
john walkers workshop
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if the shift handle is not centered in the housing, it's hard to get out of 5th. the handle hangs up on the reverse lockout lever. loosening the clamp bolt on the coupler and sliding the shift handle front or rear to center it is pretty easy. don't go side to side when the clamp is loose or you'll loose the gate adjustment.

Quick Reply: Stuck in fith gear