Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Oil Level Gauge Pegged (Now fixed)

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 12:01 AM
salukijac
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Oil Level Gauge Pegged (Now fixed)

As stated on the title, my oil level gauge is pegged when the key is in the on position. I took the gauge off to check if everything was ok and I found an extra pair of wires (unconnected). Looking at the Bentley there is supposed to be a white wire coming from the oil tank level transmitter. I do not have a white wire. The extra wires are Red/black and Brown. Is there anything wrong with these pics. Anyone knows what these extra wires are for?

Attachment 616539

Attachment 616540

As you can see in this picture, there's one unused termnal not used labeled G on the oil level gauge side.

Attachment 616542

I also have what it seems like moisture inside the gauge.

Last edited by salukijac; 12-28-2012 at 06:57 PM.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:43 AM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

I haven't had this issue but, IIRC, a pegged oil gauge is an indicator of a bad sending unit.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:44 AM
SCOTITUDE
Pro

check the two connections on the oil tank in rear wheel well?
Old 03-16-2012, 12:53 AM
wildcat077
Drifting

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts

Don't even waste your time,replace the sender at the rear of the engine ...
Pelican has many threads regarding this issue

Cheers !
Phil
Old 03-16-2012, 01:16 AM
salukijac
Burning Brakes

When I bought the car, I had the mechanic who performed the PPI try to check into this problem and he said the sender unit was good. I guess I can replace it but would like to know for sure.

I still would like to find out what these two extra wires are for. Where is the white wire from the sender?

I'll look around the sender tomorrow to see what I have.
Old 03-16-2012, 09:17 AM
Repo_Man
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't replace that sender yet...you've got nothing hooked up to the "G" terminal on your gage, that is where the wire needs to connect from the sender. Not sure if it really is supposed to be a white wire, or the other wire in your pic. It shouldn't be red / black, that is usually a switched +12V.

EDIT: It shouldn't be brown either, brown is almost always ground.

I'd get a couple of female quick connects, and run a quick test wire from the "G" on the gage, through the cabin out the door, back to the terminal on the sender, it is in the middle of the plate on the tank, should be covered with a rubber boot. If the needle returns to a more sensible level, hopefully corresponding roughly to your latest dipstick reading if your setup is sort of accurate, then you know the sender is good.

The gage pegs any time the circuit is broken, normally this is because the windings on resistor in the sender eventually get rubbed through by the wiper arm off the float, or because the corrosion and debris in the wheel well ruin the external connection to the sender.

Last edited by Repo_Man; 03-16-2012 at 10:32 AM. Reason: more info
Old 03-16-2012, 01:25 PM
1986 Targa
Instructor

Location: Manhattan Beach, California. Retired Engineer 1986 Targa-Factory Delivery Original Owner
Default Oil sender CKT.

Here's a snippet from my factory manual
which unlike the Bentley, has never let me down.

Also, have a look at this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1985-Porsche...68161379188858

It's the best $35 you will ever spend for your 911.

Hope this helps.

Gerry
Attached Images  

Last edited by 1986 Targa; 03-16-2012 at 05:51 PM.
Old 03-16-2012, 04:07 PM
salukijac
Burning Brakes

1986 Targa,

Thanks for the schematic. According to it I should have a wire connected to the "G" terminal. Can you verify that it is coming from the oil tank assy? I'm pretty sure it is but since I can't see it on the scanned copy, better be safe than sorry.

If you look at the third picture above, you can see that there is only one terminal available on the oil side (left side of the picture).

Maybe it is one of the two wires not connected. The issue is the available wires have connectors that don't fit the available terminal. It looks like there wa a problem before and someone disconnected them and changed the connectors for testing.
Old 03-16-2012, 04:47 PM
art
Pro

Mine ['75] has been pegged for years, always assumed it was the sender, I should check the gauge connections. Please report back with your findings.
Old 03-16-2012, 05:25 PM
1986 Targa
Instructor

Location: Manhattan Beach, California. Retired Engineer 1986 Targa-Factory Delivery Original Owner
Default Oil Gauge CKT.

Originally Posted by salukijac
1986 Targa,

Thanks for the schematic. According to it I should have a wire connected to the "G" terminal. Can you verify that it is coming from the oil tank assy? I'm pretty sure it is but since I can't see it on the scanned copy, better be safe than sorry.

If you look at the third picture above, you can see that there is only one terminal available on the oil side (left side of the picture).

Maybe it is one of the two wires not connected. The issue is the available wires have connectors that don't fit the available terminal. It looks like there wa a problem before and someone disconnected them and changed the connectors for testing.
Here you go.

You'll need to cut & paste,
as my scanner will not copy the page in a single scan.

Best,

Gerry
Attached Images    
Old 03-16-2012, 06:37 PM
1986 Targa
Instructor

Default Oil level sender CKT trouble shooting.

Hints:
Attached Images  
Old 03-16-2012, 07:49 PM
1986 Targa
Instructor

Default GAUGE-WIRING COLOR CODES

GAUGE WIRING COLOR CODES:
Attached Images   
Old 03-16-2012, 09:29 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow, Gerry.

That's fantastic work. Very thorough and bullet proof tech as always!
Old 03-16-2012, 10:45 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

wow how about just grounding the sending unit wire at the ender ( jumper the two wires at the sender ) it should go back to zero if the sender is at fault. short is zero pegged is open ,, the sender unit is just a variable resistor
Old 03-18-2012, 11:45 PM
salukijac
Burning Brakes

Gerry, thank you so much for posting the schematic. I was very helpful. I have a wire missing (GN/BL). The two wires that are available are not the ones I need.

I also tested the transmitter and it checks out. I think I should run a wire as Repo Man suggested above from the transmitter to the gauge which I wanted to do tonight but ran out of time.

I took all of the gauges out and for the life of me, can't find that GN/BL wire.

If not too much of an imposition, can someone check where the two extra wires go to? They come out of the same harness as the remaining wires going to the Fuel/Oil Gauge.

Thanks for all the help.

Quick Reply: Oil Level Gauge Pegged (Now fixed)