Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Oil Level Gauge Pegged (Now fixed)

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 10:02 AM
art
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now I recall trying the grounding test, it worked so I was convinced it is the sender.
Old 03-19-2012, 05:51 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

there ya go ...
Old 03-20-2012, 11:01 PM
salukijac
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Alright we have a positive outcome. First I would like to thank Gerry (186 Targa) for his assistance. He not only provided schematics and suggestions here, he also assisted me over the phone. We had a little good discussion last night and he pointed me in the right direction.

So here is what we did. First I checked the transmitter according to the Bentley, it checked out. I also tried Gerry's method to put an ohmmeter on the wire at the G terminal on the transmitter (oil tank), the other to ground and bounce the car a little to see if the value would change. It did. It varied from 9 to 12 ohms.

While I was in there I noticed I my two wires going to the transmitter had bare spots on them at the same spot which means they could have been shorting together. I repaired those.

Knowing we had a good sender I tried Repo Man's suggestion to connect a test wire to the G terminal on the transmitter and the G terminal at the gauge. First I went for a drive to get the car up to temp. Came back, checked the oil level (was at the lower mark on the stick) and connected the test wire. The gauge read low. I propped the gauge to where I could see it from the back of the car and started adding oil. The gauge level went up as I added oil. I filled to the halfway point on the stick and compared with the gauge. The gauge read halfway. Outstanding! I have a good tranmitter and a good gauge. Where's my GN/BL wire?

I took the gauge besides the oil gauge out and started looking for the wire. Didn't find a GN/BL (Green/Blue) wire but found another that was not connected, it was clear gold wire. Did a quick continuity check between this wire behind the gauge and the wire at the oil tank. I have continuity...this is my wire!!!!!! Connected the wire and gauge is operational. I went ahead and added a little more oil just for the heck of it and the gauge went up as I added more oil. Victory!!!

So it looks like the short at the oil tank wires send someone on a wild chase and ended up repairing the wire at the gauge and adding an extension (the reason for the different color wire). When this didn't work, they must have disconnected the wire from the gauge.

So, thanks to Repo Man for his suggestion and specially to Gerry for getting on the phone with me last night. This is why we love our Rennlist.

Thanks again.
Jorge

Last edited by salukijac; 03-21-2012 at 03:12 PM. Reason: spelling

Quick Reply: Oil Level Gauge Pegged (Now fixed)