Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Camber adjust or smaller spacer

Old 03-16-2012, 11:23 AM
Shannon123
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Camber adjust or smaller spacer

I upgraded wheels to Fuchs 8x9x16 and now have a question regarding the rear wheels being a bit more than flush with wheelwell. No alignment yet !

Current camber on rear wheels is slightly positive, maybe a degree. I know many of you run slightly negative.

The question is....from reading some camber offset chart that a 1 degree of negative camber for 16 inch wheel will bring top of wheel over .2 inches......2 degrees would be .4 inches.

I want to keep the wheelwell filled as much as possible.......should I use camber or smaller spacer.....or combo of both ?

Current ride height 25 3/8 rear.....25 7/8 front
Attached Images   

Last edited by Shannon123; 03-16-2012 at 11:50 AM.
Old 03-16-2012, 01:06 PM
wildcat077
Drifting

Received 185 Likes on 159 Posts

A good street setup for even tire wear would be -1 in front and -1.5 in the rear ...
Don't use camber at the detriment of tire wear to space out your wheels,although your car looks pretty damn good as is

Use the required spacers !

Cheers !
Phil
Old 03-20-2012, 12:11 AM
Droops83
Three Wheelin'

Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts

I think you might have your negative and positive mixed up, from looking at that picture it sure looks like the rear tires have at least slight negative camber, which means that the top of the wheel is tilted inward towards the center of the car relative to the bottom part of the rear wheel, when looking at the car from directly in front or behind it. Do you have any type of wheel spacers in there now? If so, what size? As it looks those tires will rub without rolling the fenders and running some degree of negative camber, and perhaps slightly narrower wheel spacers if necessary. It can be difficult to achieve the look that you are after without compromising tire life or suspension travel.

It is nice too see an air-cooled 911 around there, my parents live in the Woodlands and I was just there last week. People tend to throw their cars away every 5 years around there.
Old 03-20-2012, 11:33 AM
Shannon123
Burning Brakes

In that picture there actually was slight positive camber (probably angle of pic that may make it look different)......I had it aligned and its now 1.5 degree negative and tucks under much better.....nonetheless, I will likely have 1/4 inch less spacers put on and it will be perfect.

Yes, Conroe is just a short jump north from Woodlands......same beautiful woods as the Woodlands, tall and big unlike Dallas where I lived for 20 years. Funny....my wife wanted to go to Cru Wine bar in the woodlands and we sat outside.....I think we saw nearly every upscale sportscar being valeted while we were there. Texas people do a good job of wearing their net worth on themselves !
Old 03-20-2012, 10:10 PM
Droops83
Three Wheelin'

Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts

Glad to hear that you got it more or less straightened out, -1.5 in the rear is a good compromise considering what you are trying to do. You can roll the rear fender lips as well if tire rub becomes an issue. Any other suspension mods?

The car looks really nice---is that an original M491 Turbo-look or are the flares aftermarket? In either case I love the wide body cab w/ no rear wing look, very cool.

I agree about The Woodlands, the flaunting is a bit much. I went to most of high school there, and the cars in the parking lot were on average pretty nice, even 10 years ago! I can't believe how much more it is built up every time I go to visit my parents. Anyway keep driving your good old air-cooled 911 around there, I'd take it over most 997s any day!
Old 03-20-2012, 11:25 PM
Shannon123
Burning Brakes

Yes, I thought about rollingvfenders, but only as last resort.

Its not an m491....its an aftermarket. I am a big fan of the M470 (spoiler delete) which is the look I'm going after.....still need to setup the front spoiler like M470 and add H4's (although the stock lights aren't all bad). I don't look at this as any kind of investment, but wanted the look, therefore ruled out the higher priced T/L's....just plan to drive as much as I want.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Camber adjust or smaller spacer