Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

RS Style Perlon Felt in a Cab????

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 09:23 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

DB, we did a thread on "noise attenuation" with dB measurements back in the day over on Pelican website. I found that in a coupe, the noise is down low. Of course, your Cab may have a different aerodynamic profile as well as wind noise penetration. I would urge some careful thought before 3M-ing all the pieces back in.
Old 03-16-2012, 11:12 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

"3M-ing" as in "foaming the crap out of it" is not gonna happen....at least not blindly. The rain is gonna keep me from backing it out and installing carpet.

The frequencies that I can hear are the ones down low. Are you saying that the cab may act like a bass drum? Um, well, it already does. I know as a kid we lined the inside of large boom boxes with fiberglass padding to accentuate the bass and trap higher frequencies. My ears sure picked up the resonance of the engine off the bare floor board last night.

I was glad to see the existence and fair shape of the stock sound pad on the back seats. Was thinking of adding to the back of the ledge behind the seats, but leaving the seat area as is. Was also thinking of leaving the existing carpet on that board until I took a better look at it. I have a long road ahead. Also, I have no engine area sound pad.

I guess my question is: Are you saying more isn't always better when it comes to sound deadening material?
Old 03-17-2012, 02:55 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Oh wow. There are two engine sound pads. The stock thicker one is better. The thinner one almost makes no difference, although it is lighter.

The 3M aerosol upholstery adhesive is awesome. It sprays out in a spider web pattern and holds well.

We found a number of noise attenuation materials. Most of them use trapped air to block the path of sound. Good suspension bushings go a long way, as well as do good engine mounts in supressing noise. Tire choice also makes a huge difference. Simple things like torquing all the bolts to stock spec also make a small contribution.
Old 03-18-2012, 07:47 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

aluminum backed felt cut to size in several places.

Sounds much better than stock.

Ya, ya, sometimes I actually listen to Russell.
Attached Images    
Old 03-24-2012, 07:47 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Rear side panels have been stripped and sprayed with about 1/8" rubberizing spray and look great. Would not do that again.

Front kick panels have been stripped and recovered with Perlon. They look great.

I went with 3M Super Trim adhesive that sprays out in a cool web.

The Perlon wraps around corners perfectly though there are a few spots that I'm nervous about.

The driver's side threshold is all screwed back down and the Perlon and felt under it looks great.

The felt in the window is glued down too. Now with even more felt in it sounds even better. .
Attached Images   
Old 03-25-2012, 01:19 PM
911 Crazy
SPAM addict
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Doug, you upgrading my car? Where do you want the $6k sent?
Old 03-26-2012, 12:47 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Originally Posted by 911 Crazy
Doug, you upgrading my car? Where do you want the $6k sent?
Tim, you know I'm a bit testy over you commenting that Perlon would lower the value of my car and now you gotta bring up my frustrations from the past... Some day soon I'm gonna take you for a ride in this baby and change your mind. It ain't stock, it ain't concourse, it ain't even the color I wanted, but it's mine all mine.

Next will be backdating the doors with RS panels in black leather with red leather pulls.

Then it's off to the Momo Retro or the Momo Prototipo steering wheel in black leather.

Getting a tad bit exciting.

Last night I finished up the kick boards with hot glue and clamps. Should have just used my hands, but that crap is hot. Came out perfect. Had to brush out clamp marks.
Attached Images   
Old 04-01-2012, 07:23 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Carpet is 80% in. Just a few panels in the back to go. It sounds fantastic. All the suspension squeaks are gone. All the road thumps are gone. All the rattles of old are gone. She's a new car.

Gotta give credit to the Thermo-Guard sound mat I got at Pep Boys. That and the Perlon I got at Appbiz.
Old 04-01-2012, 07:31 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

I thought the carpet woulda had 1000 miles on it by now??
Old 04-01-2012, 10:25 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
I thought the carpet woulda had 1000 miles on it by now??
Well, you thought wrong for once.

Every time I have an ounce of energy it is either raining or cold.

Actually lost 14 pounds myself with the flu in the last two weeks.

.....headed to appbiz in the morning to look at door cards. Gotta get this transformation done 'cause I leave for Hilo/Kona in 24 days.
Old 04-01-2012, 11:02 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Looks fantastic, Doug!
Old 04-01-2012, 11:27 PM
salukijac
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by amber lamps
Tim, you know I'm a bit testy over you commenting that Perlon would lower the value of my car and now you gotta bring up my frustrations from the past... Some day soon I'm gonna take you for a ride in this baby and change your mind. It ain't stock, it ain't concourse, it ain't even the color I wanted, but it's mine all mine.
Did we miss something?

Doug, it looks good but it seems like you're short changing us in the picture department.
Old 04-01-2012, 11:39 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Originally Posted by salukijac
Did we miss something?

Doug, it looks good but it seems like you're short changing us in the picture department.
The carpet is black and doesn't show up in pictures. When I get it out in the sun tomorrow I'll snap some pictures.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:34 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Picked up my '73 RS/RSR door panels today with all the accessories like the welting, switch bezels, the cool leather strap and the handle that Porsche sources from Fiat. Stoked to see if I have enough dead cow to cover them.
Old 04-14-2012, 01:29 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Wanted to update you guys with some pictures from tonight.

Basically cut the cow about 1 to 1-1/2 inches larger than the panels in all directions and set it aside for a while.

Then found heavy corduroy from the sewing room and used the spray adhesive to stick it to the hard side of the panels and trimmed it around the perimeter right along the edge of the panel. This is to give a small amount of cushion behind the suede. Some guys use wool, foam, or nothing.

Then I sprayed adhesive on the back of the suede and on the corduroy and waited about 5 minutes for it to dry. I set the panel carefully on top of the suede making sure all sides were even. Give it time to dry, messing with wet adhesive is no fun....it doesn't stay put.

After I lifted up the panel to make sure there were no creases or pleats I set it back down and went around the perimeter with about 1" of adhesive and allowed it to dry for about 5 minutes.

I then went around and cut ***** in the suede in the corners where it was going to overlap in the corners. Should have done this before I sprayed the adhesive around it.

Then I slowly worked my way around folding the suede over onto the glue on the pack of the panel trimming off the excessive overlaps in the corners. All in all it looks fantastic.

I finished it up by rolling my wife's rolling pin on them to make sure everything was good and stuck.

Took about 2 hours to get this far.
Attached Images     

Last edited by Amber Gramps; 04-14-2012 at 01:48 AM.

Quick Reply: RS Style Perlon Felt in a Cab????