Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

RS Style Perlon Felt in a Cab????

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 08:54 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RS Style Perlon Felt in a Cab????

What do you think about using black Perlon felt in my '88 manual cab to replace my dark blue Sliverknit? I may have lost my mind, but I think I'm gonna like it.

Bob at Appbiz is making me a one-off carpet kit using their "cabrio/targa plush" dies and patterns, but using the "RS style Perlon felt material".

Does this sound sick or what? Can't stand what's in there now, and this was, to me, a no brainer.

For years now I've been looking and for the last several weeks been really looking hard. talked to Bob this morning and had to pull the trigger.

More to the story, but my #1 job in life is being dad to seven kids and one of them wants me to "COME HOME NOW DAD I GOTTA GO TO BAND."
Old 03-14-2012, 01:37 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

The black Perlon felt is the lower left sample with the black Sliverknit next to it.

Top row is charcoal felt, black cut, and charcoal loop. I really like the charcoal loop and will most likely visit the idea of using it for front mats later on.

Anyone have strong opinions about using spray-on undercoating for sound deadening inside the cab?

I've seen some airplane soundproofing that looks good and light and was fairly inexpensive. Any ideas in that area?

Input guys, input!
Attached Images  
Old 03-14-2012, 02:42 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

I had Bob's Perlon in Ruby. I thought it was fine.
Old 03-14-2012, 05:23 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Anyone have a preference for adhesive? I have access to 3M Super 77 and a similar products (blue can) from Dap.
Old 03-14-2012, 05:35 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

As long it is the super duty 3M stuff, it works well. They do have a regular contact adhesive that wont do as well in heat.
Old 03-14-2012, 07:36 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

thanks Ed, will be going as aggressive as I possibly can. One of the things I really dislike right now about my carpet is how loose it is. I understand the theory behind it, but I want this stuff tacked down.

Entertaining the idea of actually not installing carpet on the front foot boards. It's a sports car, not a luxury car. It really isn't even a GT. It's sole purpose is to drive Elayne and I down to Carlsbad every couple of months. That's it. I don't need A/C, seldom have used the heat, never used the window washers, can't figure out the purpose of central locking, find the heated mirrors hilarious, the center console just gets in my way, and don't even need the spare tire for that matter. The less is more theory is strong with me. I haven't even turned on the radio in two years.
Old 03-14-2012, 07:58 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

I hear you. But, AC is nice on occasion.

Funny, I never once tried the window or HL washers on Ruby.
Old 03-15-2012, 05:37 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

This carpet is just falling out.

Glad to see I didn't have to remove the trim around the top.

Can't believe how faded it is.

Actually not nearly as hard as I thought it was gonna be.

I'm sure I'll have a different opinion when it's time to start the install.

Auto-heat is a pain.
Attached Images   
Old 03-15-2012, 09:08 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Can't believe how disgusting this carpet is.

....and now I really hate the center console. It will not be back.
Attached Images   
Old 03-15-2012, 09:16 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

I'd say you're "all in" now!

The Appbiz kits have typically allowed for console deletion. I can tell you to take your time laying the pieces out, and think two steps ahead. It is kind of like laying a new roof down, making sure overlaps are proper and in the right direction. The hardest part was laying the carpet on to the footwell blower covers and along the sills. But it just takes a little care. Good luck, and we will look forward to pics!
Old 03-15-2012, 09:29 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Ed, I've got hot glue and a brad nailer for the foot boards and the shelf in the back. Even the side boards in the back where the top hinges and speakers are at will have to be folded over and tacked down.

Will be laying everything in dry ahead of time. They are sending me an extra yard of felt and lots of edging.

I think it would actually be cool to see the shifter mechanics in action. Would that be "Boot Delete"?

The blower controls are going to go where the ashtray is at now. Oh, The passenger side blower motor fuse is blown. Why even have it in there?
Old 03-16-2012, 01:21 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

You are gonna want a Wevo or a Rennshift shifter in there if its exposed.

But, I bet you can polish yours up really nice too, and make it look good.
Old 03-16-2012, 08:25 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Unbelievable!!!! The carpet is already here. Appbiz

Found on web, decided, called, drove to factory, sampled, small talked, toured, paid for, die cut, lined, edged, packed, labeled, shipped, all in 72 hours. Wow.

...and now it looks like rain.
Old 03-16-2012, 08:46 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I hate to say this, but I'd probably have gone with the factory Porsche carpet in another color. The material is really spendy though, probably over $200 per sf (!!!). I have factory plush carpet over my rear seat delete, along with the really thick Lloyds mats on the floor.

Most of the noise comes from the floor area, and then the side mirrors whistle through the A-frame windows. Not much you can do about that. Some noise comes through the engine area, but a sound pad will take care of that.
Old 03-16-2012, 09:04 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Russ, I totally understand what you are saying. This was exactly what I wanted to do and it was delivered in 3 days at $308.00, well below the price point (HALF) of Sliverknit. .....and ya, with all the interior out last night it got really loud in there. Will be putting down sound/thermal insulation where I thought I wasn't gonna. Could have saved up another couple of months and gone stock, but that isn't what I wanted. Besides I don't use my hearing aides while I'm driving.

....and Russ, expect a package.

Quick Reply: RS Style Perlon Felt in a Cab????