Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Temp Gauge face

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 08:32 PM
Reiver
Drifting

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by rusnak
I think it's an issue similar to the gas gauge.

Since the sender is calibrated for liters, not US gallons, the scale on the fuel gauge face must be skewed to track with the needle sweep, which is not linear. If the temp gauge is to be linear when read in F, the temp sender must be calibrated. Otherwise, yes you can make the temp gauge face track non-linearly with the needle.
Ok, talk to me like I'm a 6th grader cause I don't get it.....1/2 a tank is 1/2 a tank in ltrs or gls......1/4 tank is 1/4 tank in ltrs or gals.
And 90 celcius is 194 degrees and 194 degrees is 90 C when you mark the gauge.....
the only reason you'd need a dif sender is if you moved the markings and their
value.
I know you guys can read them ok but sweep gauges without markings/values are just dumb.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:10 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Reiver
Ok, talk to me like I'm a 6th grader cause I don't get it.....1/2 a tank is 1/2 a tank in ltrs or gls......1/4 tank is 1/4 tank in ltrs or gals.
And 90 celcius is 194 degrees and 194 degrees is 90 C when you mark the gauge.....
the only reason you'd need a dif sender is if you moved the markings and their
value.
I know you guys can read them ok but sweep gauges without markings/values are just dumb.
Not if you know where your engine should be running....I mean, numbers just give you a different point of reference than the hash marks. Red zone is red zone whether there are numbers there or not.

Same reason I rotated my tach 90 degrees: I wasn't worried about looking at what specific RPM I was at, I only wanted to know, in my peripheral vision, when I was at my shift point-that was when the needle pointed straight up.
Old 03-07-2012, 02:43 AM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't know anymore. My head hurts from converting Metric to Standard, or English or whatever we call our system of feet/ inches. I'm looking at plans from a Spanish car wash company, to install in a tunnel made in the US. ::::headache:::::: /rant off
Old 03-07-2012, 12:42 PM
Reiver
Drifting

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Not if you know where your engine should be running....I mean, numbers just give you a different point of reference than the hash marks. Red zone is red zone whether there are numbers there or not.

Same reason I rotated my tach 90 degrees: I wasn't worried about looking at what specific RPM I was at, I only wanted to know, in my peripheral vision, when I was at my shift point-that was when the needle pointed straight up.
Ok, I give....do away with the numbers
Old 03-07-2012, 05:04 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Reiver, I think you are right about the gas tank, but the temp is different.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:05 PM
Reiver
Drifting

Originally Posted by rusnak
Reiver, I think you are right about the gas tank, but the temp is different.
You're giving me a temp
If they put a 194F degree number where the 90C was it is exactly the same temp. More than likely they'll move the tic up a hair where 93C equalls 199.4F degrees and put 200.....
The same concept as the gas tank.....90C = 194 F so just change the numbers....we live on the same planet with the exact same heat, just a dif numerical language.
BTW, I'm so convinced that number gauges are dumb that I've removed all of the numbers and just "Feel the Force Luke".....with blind swept gauges.
It's invigorating!
Old 03-09-2012, 11:20 AM
Caferacer
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Reiver
BTW, I'm so convinced that number gauges are dumb that I've removed all of the numbers and just "Feel the Force Luke".....with blind swept gauges.
It's invigorating!
"Actually officer, I don't know how fast I was going. But it was invigorating!"
Old 03-09-2012, 12:05 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

"These are not the droids you are looking for, Move along"
Old 03-09-2012, 12:10 PM
Caferacer
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Reminds me of the young female supercrosser who is deaf and shifts according to vibration. Not a joke. Truly "seat of the pants" riding.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:31 PM
Reiver
Drifting

Originally Posted by Caferacer
Reminds me of the young female supercrosser who is deaf and shifts according to vibration. Not a joke. Truly "seat of the pants" riding.
Ok, really am not going to comment....want to, but.....

Quick Reply: Temp Gauge face